MS Word Cover Page Templates
Download, personalize & print.
A cover page also called a title page, is the first page of a book, thesis, research paper, project, assignment, proposal or any such document. The purpose of the inclusion of a cover page is to provide the general information about the document.
It provides a quick understanding of what the book or paper is about by stating the topic covered and introduces the document to the reading audience.
One may not need to go through the whole document if the topic is not of one’s concern. Therefore, a cover page is helpful in telling the reader about the main information about the document.
The cover page may include some of the following information:
- Name of the author or authors
- Title of the class or institute
- Title of the paper
- The subtitle of the paper
- Teacher’s name if any
- Name of the publisher or journal
- Place, date of publication, edition
The information on the cover page may vary depending on the citation style being used by the author such as APA, MLA, etc. Some styles do not even require any separate cover page and the title has to be added on the top of the first page.
Business Report Cover Pages
MS Word Report Cover Pages
Printable Cover Pages
Professional Cover Pages
Book Cover Page Templates
Book Title Page Templates
Computer Assignment Cover Pages
Engineering Assignments Cover Pages
Physics Assignment Cover Pages
Chemistry Assignment Cover Pages
Biology Assignment Cover Pages
University Assignment Cover Pages
Mathematics Assignment Cover Pages
English Assignment Cover Pages
Social Study Assignment Cover Pages
In addition, the information may vary depending on the type of document. For instance, if a cover page is being used for a book, the edition may have to be added which is not a requirement for a project or an assignment cover page.
Moreover, another factor that may affect the information included on the cover page is the scope of the document. For instance, if a cover page is being designed for a university assignment, the main details of the name of the student, title, course title, etc. may be sufficient. However, for a research paper that is to be published, more information might have to be added as well.
When including cover pages in the documents, an author may choose an available template and customize it or design it himself completely.
There are many online available templates as well as many programs or applications that offer templates for cover pages that are easily customizable.
One of such programs that offer customizable templates is MS Word . It has many templates available that may be used as cover pages and may be easily customized as well. By inserting the cover page template, one can add the required text in the sample text area.
A cover page needs to be attractive in addition to the offering of general information about the document. The cover page has to be formal especially for books, research papers, thesis, etc. However, for university assignments or projects, it can be slightly informal with different fonts (if allowed by the citation style or the instructor).
As the cover page is the first impression on the audience, it should be comprehensive, formal, attractive and should serve the purpose of a cover page.
23+ Best Free Assignment Cover Page Formats for MS Word
What is an assignment cover page, key elements for a comprehensive front page.
- Institution Details: Begin by prominently featuring the name of your school, college, or institute. This establishes credibility and provides context for your assignment.
- Personal Information: Include your own name to indicate authorship and ownership of the assignment. This adds a personal touch and facilitates easy identification.
- Assignment Title: Clearly state the title of your assignment, conveying its purpose and focus. A concise and informative title sets the tone for your work.
- Course Information: Specify the relevant course title or code to indicate the academic context in which your assignment was completed. This assists in proper categorization and organization.
- Instructor’s Name: Acknowledge the teacher or professor who will be evaluating your assignment by including their name. This demonstrates respect and professionalism.
- Due Date: Clearly indicate the deadline or due date for the assignment submission. This ensures timely assessment and helps you stay organized.
What are the basic tips?
- Font style : It is always in the best interest to use bold, simple, and clear text instead of using fancy text fonts and styles. This helps the reader understand things in a better way. Moreover, the usage of pictures behind texts must be avoided as it creates poor visibility for the reader when reading the text printed on it.
- Presentation: Presentation plays an important role in expressing what you need to convey to someone and how you need to communicate it. Presenting the title page in the most effective manner is essential as this leaves an impression on the teacher reading the assignment. It also acts as a decisive tool for the teacher whether or not he/ she interestingly goes through the whole document.
- Spell Check: Before handing over the assignment, one should take a brief review of all the spelling and also look for any grammatical errors.
- Avoid plagiarism: A student must always be honest in what he writes. He should avoid copying material or texts from anywhere.
- Personal detail: One should never forget to mention his/her name. The font size used for writing the name must be bigger so that it makes the name visible to the teacher.
Advantages of an Impressive Assignment Cover Page
- Showcasing Professionalism: By meticulously designing your cover page, you demonstrate a strong commitment to professionalism. This attention to detail reflects positively on your work ethic and sets you apart as a dedicated student.
- Creating a Positive Impression: A well-crafted front page sets the tone for your assignment, capturing the attention of your teacher or professor. It establishes a positive first impression, arousing their interest and encouraging them to delve further into your work.
- Enhancing Visual Appeal: A visually appealing cover page enhances the overall presentation of your assignment. With carefully chosen fonts, colors, and layouts, you create an engaging and aesthetically pleasing introduction that captivates the reader’s attention.
- Communicating Pertinent Information: It provides a concise summary of essential details, such as the assignment title, your name, and the due date. This ensures clarity and facilitates seamless identification and organization of your work.
- Reflecting a Professional Attitude: By dedicating time and effort to creating an impressive cover page, you exemplify a professional attitude towards your academic pursuits. This level of dedication and care leaves a lasting impression on your teacher or professor.
Download Free Cover Page Templates
#1 – best format.
#2 – For Case Study
#3 – Best Design for Critical Review
#4 – For Any Kind of Educational Assignment
#5 – Essay Assignment
#6 – Syllabus Assignment
#7 – For University Assignment
#9 – Business Assignment
#11 – Academic
#12 – Generic Cover Page for any Assignment
#13 – Biology
#14 – For Chemistry Projects
#15 – For Computer Projects
#16 – For Engineering-Related Assignments
#17 – For English Assignment
#18 – For Geography Projects
#19 – Mathematics
#20 – Physics
#21 – Best Cover Page for School Assignments
#22 – Best for Science Projects
#23 – Cover Page for Social Study Assignment
Versatile Designs and Layouts for Every Purpose
- Assignment Types: Our templates are designed specifically for different types of assignments, such as case studies, critical reviews, essays, syllabi, and business projects. Each template is tailored to suit the requirements and objectives of its respective assignment type.
- Academic Disciplines: Our collection includes templates suitable for various academic disciplines like biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, English, geography, mathematics, physics, and social studies. Each template aligns with the themes and aesthetics of its corresponding discipline.
- Purposes: Whether you are a student, educator, or professional, our templates serve multiple purposes. They can be used for university assignments, school projects, research papers, or any academic or professional endeavor that requires a polished cover page.
- Designs, Layouts, and Styles: Our templates offer a diverse range of designs, from minimalistic and clean to visually captivating and sophisticated. You can choose from different layouts that creatively arrange text, images, and graphics. Our templates cater to a variety of styles, ensuring there is something for everyone’s preferences.
User-Friendly Customization: Make It Your Own
- Easy Modifications: We believe in keeping things simple. With just a few clicks, you can effortlessly modify our templates to suit your specific requirements. Change colors, fonts, and layouts with ease, and watch your cover page transform before your eyes.
- Colors and Themes: Infuse it with the perfect color scheme and themes that truly represent your assignment. Our templates offer a wide range of options, so you can find the ideal palette and theme that resonate with your content.
- Font Selection: The right font can make all the difference. Choose from our diverse selection of fonts to enhance the visual appeal and readability. From elegant and professional to modern and bold, we have fonts to suit every style.
- Layout Flexibility: It should reflect your unique presentation style. With our templates, you have the freedom to experiment with different layouts, arranging titles, subtitles, images, and text blocks in a way that best suits your assignment.
Benefits of Using Professionally Designed Templates: Make an Impact with Ease
- Time and Effort Saving: Our professionally designed templates eliminate the need to start from scratch. With pre-designed layouts, styles, and graphics, you can save valuable time and effort in creating visually appealing front pages. Simply customize the template to suit your assignment’s requirements, and you’re ready to impress.
- Consistency and Professionalism: Using our templates ensures consistency in your assignment submissions. The standardized design elements and formatting guidelines help maintain a professional appearance throughout your work. Presenting your assignments with a polished title page enhances the overall quality and credibility of your content.
- Visual Appeal: A visually appealing title page grabs attention and sets the tone for your assignment. Our templates are thoughtfully crafted by design professionals, incorporating aesthetically pleasing elements, color schemes, and typography. By leveraging these designs, you can effortlessly create eye-catching cover pages that captivate your professors or readers.
- Positive Impression: First impressions matter, and a well-designed cover page leaves a positive impact on professors and readers alike. Showcasing your assignment in a professional and visually appealing manner demonstrates your dedication and attention to detail. It sets the stage for an engaging reading experience, encouraging your audience to delve deeper into your work.
- User-Friendly Customization: Our templates are designed to be easily customizable, allowing you to add your personal touch without technical expertise. You can modify text, colors, images, and other elements to align with your assignment’s theme and requirements. This flexibility ensures that your cover page reflects your unique style while maintaining a professional look.
Tips for Maximizing the Impact: Make Your Cover Page Stand Out
- Choose Colors Wisely: Select colors that complement your assignment’s theme and evoke the desired emotions. Vibrant colors can grab attention, while muted tones create a sense of elegance. Maintain consistency with your assignment’s overall design and avoid using too many colors that may distract from the main message.
- Opt for Legible Fonts: Use clear and readable fonts to enhance the accessibility and professionalism of your cover page. Avoid overly decorative or complex fonts that may hinder readability. Opt for fonts that align with your assignment’s tone and maintain consistency throughout the document.
- Incorporate Relevant Graphics: Graphics can enhance the visual appeal of your cover page and reinforce the assignment’s subject matter. Choose images or icons that are directly related to the topic or convey the assignment’s main concept. Ensure that the graphics are high-quality and appropriately sized to maintain clarity.
- Organize Information Effectively: Arrange the information in a logical and visually appealing manner. Use headings, subheadings, and bullet points to break down content and make it easier to read. Highlight key details such as the assignment title, your name, course information, and submission date.
- Maintain Simplicity: While it’s important to make it visually appealing, avoid cluttering it with excessive elements. Keep the design clean and uncluttered, allowing the key information to stand out. Remember, simplicity often has a greater impact than complexity.
- Preview and Proofread: Before finalizing, preview it to ensure that all elements are properly aligned and visually balanced. Proofread the content to eliminate any spelling or grammatical errors. A polished and error-free cover demonstrates your attention to detail and professionalism.
← Previous Article
Next Article →
You may also like
- Doctor Prescription Pad Formats
- Printable ID Cards
- Creative Resume Formats for Freshers
- Modern Resume Templates
- Best Cover Page Formats
- Printable Report Cards
- Business Proposal Templates
- 22 Raffle Ticket Templates
- Free Certificate Templates
Search the database of 10,000+ templates, designs & formats for Microsoft Office.
- Empower Your Mission: Unveil 11+ Free Fundraiser Flyer Templates
- 15+ Free, Dynamic Poster Templates : Your Path to Customization
- 8+ Free Cleaning Checklist Templates to Enhance Your Environment
- Dominate with 7+ Professional RFP Templates for Your Success
- Seize the Opportunity: Explore 5+ Professional Stock Certificate Templates
- Your Ticket to Success: Explore 14+ Free Event Ticket Templates
- 10+ Free Wedding Planning Checklist Templates
- 5+ Empowering Real Estate Business Plan Templates for FREE
- Achieve Living Bliss: Get Your Hands on 10+ Free Roommate Agreement Templates
- 5+ Free Personal Biography Examples & Templates
- 25+ Free Dynamic MS Word Pamphlet Templates for Every Occasion
- 5+ Free Graduation Party Invitation Templates: Download and Personalize
- Cover Pages
- Event Templates
- Invoices & Receipts
- Office Related
- Personal Use
- 137+ Professional Reports – MS Word & Excel
- 44+ Printable & Editable ID Card Designs
- 59+ Proposal Formats
- 31+ Best Flyer Designs & Formats
- 100+ Cover Page Templates
- 22+ Free Letterhead Designs and Formats
- 24+ Free Resume Designs & for Freshers and Professionals
- 90+ Printable Certificate Templates
- 55+ Quotations & Invoices
Assignment Front Page Format, Design, and PDF File
Today we are sharing the assignment first page format for schools and college students. This format very useful for students for their assignment submission in school, college and university. You can also download this assignment front page design in word file format.
Note: There is a no specific and pre-defined format for assignment cover page. The front page of assignment define by school, college, university, etc. But there is general format for assignment submission which is use globally. You can change or modified this format according to you.
1. Assignment Front Page Format
2. assignment cover page design.
3. Download Assignment Design PDF & Word File
Here you can download the assignment front page format in word download. You can easily download assignment design file and edit it as per your need. You can also find this files in your Microsoft Office. Choose you best assignment front page design and impress your teachers or professors.
Source File & Credit: Microsoft Office
Use Microsoft Word to edit this file. You can easily edit this file in Microsoft Office. Replace the file with your college name, logo, etc.
Assignment is a very crucial part in academic. Your project report front page or assignment first page design play an important role like first impression is last impression. If you impress your processor or teacher then you will score good mark.
See More: General Topics for Presentation
Add a cover page
Microsoft Word offers a gallery of convenient pre-designed cover pages to accent your resume . Choose a cover page and replace the sample text with your own.
On the Insert tab, in the Pages group, click Cover Page .
Click a cover page layout from the gallery of options.
After you insert a cover page, you can replace the sample text with your own text by clicking to select an area of the cover page, such as the title, and typing your text.
If you insert another cover page in the document, the new cover page will replace the first cover page you inserted.
To replace a cover page created in an earlier version of Word, you must delete the first cover page manually, and then add a cover page with a design from the Word gallery.
To delete a cover page inserted with Word, click the Insert tab, click Cover pages in the Pages group, and then click Remove Current Cover Page .
Note: Cover pages don't display page numbers.
Insert a cover page
On the Insert tab, click Cover Page .
To see how your cover page will look, on the View menu, select Print Layout or Web Layout .
To replace a cover page created in an earlier version of Word, you must delete the first cover page manually, and then add a new cover page with a design from the Word gallery.
Remove a cover page
Click the Insert tab, click Cover Page , and then click Remove Cover Page .
Top of Page
Need more help?
Want more options.
Explore subscription benefits, browse training courses, learn how to secure your device, and more.
Microsoft 365 subscription benefits
Microsoft 365 training
Communities help you ask and answer questions, give feedback, and hear from experts with rich knowledge.
Ask the Microsoft Community
Microsoft Tech Community
Microsoft 365 Insiders
Was this information helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
How to Make a Custom Cover Page in Microsoft Word
Learn how to make your own cover pages in Microsoft Word and create eye-catching documents.
We are talking about first impressions here. So, let's take on the first thing our eyes fall on—the cover page. The instructions below show you how to make a cover page in Word that's attractive and professional?
Note: You can use our instructions to create a cover page design for your school assignment. Before you add a cover page to your assignment, however, check for any specific requirements with your instructor.
What Is a Cover Page?
There are a lot of things that go into a professional Microsoft Word document . The cover page is the very first page of your document. Its purpose right at the beginning is to give the reader the "Big Idea" about the document.
The why and wherefore is communicated through a specific title, the author name, date, a one-liner on the subject, and any other bit of important information that you think is important for the reader.
What Does a Plain Cover Page Look Like?
Microsoft Word is used for writing serious research documents and school essays. Most of them go with monochromatic and simple cover pages. often dictated by strict style guides like the Chicago Manual of Style. Other non-academic cover pages are more casual.
But what if you want to create a cover page in Word that's way cooler than vanilla? Even if you don't have the chops for it? Design your own cover page with the easy tools on Microsoft Word and save it as your own cover page template.
For an academic assignment, do check with your instructor before using a cover page.
How to Make an Attractive Cover Page
Microsoft Word makes it painless to create a business report cover page or a title page for an essay. The Microsoft Office suite comes with a few well-designed cover pages that you can re-purpose for your document. There's a good variety to choose from.
To make a cover page, follow these steps:
- Open a new Word document.
- Click on the Insert menu on the ribbon.
- The dropdown for Cover Page is the first feature you will spot on the menu (under Pages). Click on tiny arrow next to it and open the inbuilt gallery of templates.
- Pick one from the 16 pre-formatted templates and three more on Office.com.
- Select the one you like and click on it.
The cover page appears at the beginning of the document by default. But to place it in any other location, right-click on the cover page thumbnail in the gallery and select from the options given. Though, I am not sure why you would want to!
Customize Individual Fields
Click on each pre-formatted field (the square brackets) and the whole thing gets highlighted with a blue field label on top. Type in your version for the given field. The author name might appear by default if the Microsoft Office installation is in your name.
Place the common information in Quick Parts and you don't have to bother with typing them again and again.
Change the date fields with the dropdown arrow and select a date from a calendar. You can format all fields just like normal text.
You can easily edit graphical cover page elements like any other image. Just click on the graphic to display the Drawing Tools and Picture Tools menus on the Ribbon.
Change the Cover Page Design on the Fly
Customizing a pre-formatted cover page is a piece of cake. The templates consist of formatted controls and graphic boxes that come in different color themes. So, you can change any part of the template on the fly.
Notice a picture on the cover page template? Maybe, you would like to swap it out with a logo or another more appropriate image. Just right-click on the picture and click Change Picture in the context menu.
Changed your mind about the cover page design? While working on one cover page, you can change it for another cover page by selecting a new template from the dropdown. The new template retains the field entries.
Note: To replace a cover page created in an older version of Microsoft Word, you must delete the first cover page manually, and then add a new design from the cover page gallery.
Click on Save to finalize the cover page as a document.
If you would like to save the cover page for later use in another document, select the entire cover page.
Click on Insert > Cover Page > Save Selection to Cover Page Gallery . You can use the same menu to remove a selected cover page from the gallery.
How to Make a Cover Page in Microsoft Word
Word templates are a time-saving solution, but they don't allow your personality to shine through. To add a personal touch, you should put in a bit more effort and make a cover page from scratch and put some planning into it.
You have all the image editing tools in Microsoft Word at your disposal. When you can design your own logo in Microsoft Word , a cover page is less of a chore. Borrow or steal ideas from the process.
The screenshot below displays a custom cover page I created in Microsoft Word from scratch. I used a few basic Shapes to create the design and formatted them with color.
Save Your Custom Template
Complete your cover page design on a fresh Microsoft Word document. Save this document as a Microsoft Word template ( File > Save As > Microsoft Word Template ) in a location of your choice.
Now, the next steps are about adding your own cover page to the default choices under the Insert menu. Follow these steps:
Press Ctrl + A to select the entire page.
Add these selections to the Quick Parts gallery. Go to Ribbon > Insert > Quick Parts (the Text Group). Select Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery… from the dropdown.
Enter the details in the dialog for a new Building Block . Building blocks are reusable Microsoft Word elements that you can add to any of the galleries available in Word. This is what the dialog box looks like:
- Name: Give the cover page a Name.
- Gallery: Choose "Cover Pages" from the dropdown.
- Category: Choose a category. For better organization, make a new category.
- Save in: Save it in your template or in the building block. When saved as a building block, you can use it in any Word document without opening the template.
Click OK and close the Building Block dialog box. Go to the Insert menu and check your new cover page template.
Create Cover Pages With Style
A cover page is one of the best ways to stylize your document. But is it one of the more underused features of Microsoft Word ? A Microsoft Word document is often bland. Consider the merits:
- A cover page gives the reader a quick visual of the content inside.
- Save and re-use a generic company-wide cover page in the gallery.
- Convert a document with a cover page to PDF with one button and send it to any device.
Most of us don't commonly employ a cover page with a document. If you want to, try free Microsoft Word cover templates and see if they make your document more eye-catching. Then, you can start making your own designs for the front page of a document.
Free Front Page Design
Front Page Designs Of Assignments
A clean and simple front page design can make a big impact. Choose a clean font and a simple color scheme that complements the content of your assignment. Avoid using too many images or graphics that may distract the reader from the main focus of your assignment.
Table of Contents
Front Page Designs For Assignments [Free MS Word Template Download]
Creative Front Page Design For Assignment [Free MS Word Template Download]
Tips For Stunning Front Page Design Of Assignment
While it’s important to keep the front page design simple, that doesn’t mean it can’t be creative. You can still add a touch of personality to your design while making sure it’s organized and professional.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Use a unique font or color scheme
- Incorporate illustrations or graphics related to your project topic
- Experiment with different layout options
How to create a front page design of assignment?
Designing a front page for an assignment is important because it’s the first thing your professor or teacher will see, and it sets the tone for your work. Here are some steps to help you design a great front page for your assignment:
- Start with a clean slate: Begin by creating a new document in your favorite design software, or use a pre-made template to get started.
- Choose a layout: Decide on a layout that is clean, professional, and easy to read. Keep in mind that the layout should complement the content of your assignment.
- Use a suitable font: Select a font that is easy to read and suitable for academic work. Stick to one or two fonts at most, and avoid using too many different font styles, as it can make your design look cluttered and unprofessional.
- Add a title: The title of your assignment should be the focal point of your front page design. Choose a font size and style that stands out, and position it in the center of the page.
- Include your name: Add your name or the name of the student group, course name, and date of submission to the front page. Position it below the title and make it smaller than the title.
- Use imagery: Consider adding imagery that relates to your assignment topic, but keep it simple and relevant. Avoid using clipart or generic images.
- Keep it simple: Remember to keep your design simple and professional. Avoid adding too many colors or too much text. Use whitespace to create balance and add breathing space.
- Check for errors: Before submitting your assignment, check for any errors or typos in your front page design. A polished and professional front page will help make a good first impression on your teacher or professor.
Best Tools To Create Front Page Design of Assignment
There are several tools you can use to create front page designs for your assignment, including:
- Microsoft Word: Microsoft Word is a popular word processing program that includes templates and design tools for creating professional-looking front pages. You can choose from a variety of pre-designed templates or create your own custom design.
- Canva : Canva is a popular online graphic design tool that offers a range of templates, graphics, and design tools for creating front page designs. It’s user-friendly and requires no prior design experience.
- Adobe InDesign: Adobe InDesign is a professional-level graphic design software that allows you to create complex designs, including front page designs for assignments. It offers a range of design tools and templates to help you create visually stunning designs.
- Google Docs : Google Docs is a web-based word processing program that offers templates and design tools for creating front page designs. You can also collaborate with others on your design in real-time.
- PowerPoint: PowerPoint is a popular presentation software that can also be used to create front page designs. It offers a range of design tools and templates, making it easy to create professional-looking designs.
Check These Blogs Also
Free Front Page Designs For Assignments And Projects [Download MS Word Templates]
What is the downloaded file format?
.doc format(MS Word file)
How to edit the template?
You can edit the template using MS Word
- Go back Remove
- No notifications to show yet You’ll see useful information here soon. Stay tuned!
- Downloads 0/60 What is this?
- My collections
- My subscription
Find out what’s new on Freepik and get notified about the latest content updates and feature releases.
- report cover
- word template
- cover template
- cover page design
- annual report cover
- agenda layout
- report template
- cover pages
- binder cover
Assignment Cover Page Images
- Add to collection
- Save to Pinterest
- web design poster
- business website
- site design
- surgical mask
- health poster
- office poster
- professional poster
- blue template
- company cover
- business broucher
- colorful brochure
- colorful flyer
- abstract flyer
- science lab
- business leaflet
- blue brochure
- company profile design
- annual report template
- company profile cover
- brochure catalogue
- brochure template
- pattern poster
- pattern brochure
- creative graphics
- design concept
- geometric flyer
- geometric brochure
- vertical poster
- print templates
- layout design
- creative layout
- school cover
- education cover
- back to school template
- cover collection
- geometric cover
- design pack
- modern poster
- colorful poster
- banner brochure
- purple flyer
- poster layout
- professional flyer
- corporate flyer
- company flyer
- mosaic flyer
- new year party
- celebration poster
- celebration flyer
- annual report
- construction template
- building materials
- house building
- circle poster
- magazine poster
- business pack
- company poster
- corporate poster
- technology template
- tech template
- technology design
- catalog layout
- cover layout
- magazine catalogue
- money template
- company template
- ready print
- corporate template
- flyer cover
- blue poster
- abstract poster
- colorful template
- abstract book
- printing flyer
- flyer template
- business flyer
- geometric poster
- minimalist poster
- geometric template
- Skip to main content
- Skip to secondary menu
- Skip to primary sidebar
- Skip to footer
Erin Wright Writing
Writing-Related Software Tutorials
How to Create a Cover Page in Microsoft Word (Built-In and Custom)
By Erin Wright
This tutorial shows how to create a cover page in Microsoft Word. First, we’ll create a cover page using a built-in design. Then, we’ll create a custom cover page that can be reused. Next, we’ll delete a cover page. Plus, the bonus section at the end shows how to remove page number zero from a cover page.
- How to Create a Built-In Cover Page
How to Create a Custom Cover Page
- How to Delete a Cover Page
How to Remove Page Number Zero from a Cover Page
This tutorial is also available as a YouTube video showing all the steps in real time.
Watch more than 250 other writing-related software tutorials on my YouTube channel .
The images below are from Word for Microsoft 365 on a PC. These steps will also work in Word 2021, Word 2019, Word 2016, Word 2013, and Word 2010. However, your interface may look slightly different in those older versions of the software.
How to Create a Built-In Cover Page in Microsoft Word
You can quickly create a cover page using a built-in design.
- Select the Insert tab in the ribbon.
- Select Cover Page in the Pages group.
- Choose a built-in design from the gallery in the drop-down menu. (Hover over More Cover Pages from Office.com for additional options.)
- (Optional) To insert your cover page somewhere other than the top of your document, right-click the built-in design, and then choose a location from the shortcut menu.
- Place your cursor in the sample text, and then type your information.
Pro Tip: To delete a section of sample text, right-click it, and then select Remove Content Control from the shortcut menu.
The built-in cover page should now be part of your Word document.
You can create a custom cover page that can be reused in other Word documents.
- Open a blank document. ( Pro Tip: Press Ctrl + N to open a blank document.)
- Create your cover page, including images if necessary.
- Select all the text and images that should be included in the cover page.
- Select the Insert tab in the ribbon (see figure 1).
- Select Cover Page in the Pages group (see figure 2).
- Select Save Selection to Cover Page Gallery from the drop-down menu.
- Type a unique name into the Name text box in the Create New Building Block dialog box. (Cover pages are part of Word’s building block system of reusable content.)
- (Optional) Add additional information into the Description text box, if necessary.
Important Note: I strongly recommend leaving the default settings for the other options in this dialog box.
- Select the OK button.
Your custom cover page should now be added to the Cover Page Gallery.
- Close the document used to create your custom cover page. (You don’t have to save this document.)
- Select Save in the alert box asking if you want to save changes to Building Blocks.dotx.
- Open the document to which you want to add the custom cover page.
- Select the Insert tab (see figure 1).
- Select your custom cover page from the gallery.
Your custom cover page should now be added to your current document.
Pro Tip: How to Delete a Custom Cover Page from the Cover Page Gallery
- Right-click the custom cover page in the Cover Page drop-down menu, and then select Organize and Delete from the shortcut menu.
Caution: Your custom cover page will be automatically selected when the Building Blocks Organizer dialog box opens. Take care not to select another item.
- Select the Delete button in the Building Blocks Organizer dialog box.
- Select the Yes button in the question dialog box asking if you are sure you want to delete the selected building block.
- Select the Close button in the Building Blocks Organizer dialog box.
Your custom cover page should now be removed from the Cover Page Gallery.
How to Delete a Cover Page in Microsoft Word
The following steps show how to remove a cover page from an individual document.
- Select Remove Current Cover Page from the drop-down menu.
Your cover page should be removed from your document.
If your document has page numbers, the page number zero may show up unnecessarily on the cover page. The following steps show how to remove page number zero.
- Double-click the top of any page to open the Header & Footer tab.
- Select Different First Page in the Options group.
- Select the Close Header and Footer button.
The page number zero should now be removed from your cover page.
How to Insert Citations in Microsoft Word
How to Create a Citation with Multiple Sources in Microsoft Word
How to Insert Footnotes and Endnotes in Microsoft Word
Updated July 02, 2023
- Microsoft Word Tutorials
- Adobe Acrobat Tutorials
- PowerPoint Tutorials
- Writing Tips
- Editing Tips
- Writing-Related Resources