Meet Secret Agent
A simple app to find, mystery shopping jobs.
How Mystery Shopping Works
Secret Agent lets you see which mystery shopping jobs are available in South Africa, complete tasks via a custom questionnaire and get paid, all with your phone.
Find nearby jobs
Mystery shopping jobs are shown based on your location using your phones GPS
After completing the mystery shop you can submit your feedback via a questionnaire
Rewards are added to the apps wallet which can be cashed-out to your bank account
Become a Mystery Shopper
Join our team of over 30 000 Secret Agents who make an extra income by providing brands with feedback on their products, promotions and customer service
“ Aura Brooks East London “By far the best mystery shopping company I've ever worked with. The app makes it quick and easy to complete tasks and simple to get paid. Being a Secret Agent has definitely helped add little bits to my bank balance.”
“ Eve Crawford Durban “I love going on little tasks when I'm out shopping, plus it pays you for having fun. I've been an Agent for 2 years and have managed to fund weekends away and fill up my car regularly with petrol, the little bits go a long way.”
“ Jack Graham Cape Town “These tasks take 10 minutes and the rewards quickly rack up. However my wife has told me I can no longer do the fast food missions, as they're adding to the waistline. Definitely one of my favourite apps on my phone.”
“ Zak Reid Gauteng “Secret Agent is a fun app and a good way to earn a little bit of extra money here and there for doing simple tasks in your spare time. I manage to do a few jobs a each week and the rewards definitely help at the end of the month. ”
2017. All Rights Reserved, Clandestine Insights (PTY) Ltd
- Social Media Strategy
- Social Media Marketing
- LinkedIn Management Services
- Content Marketing
- Employee Advocacy
- Thought Leadership Marketing
- Influencer Marketing
- Become an Influencer
- Digital Marketing Strategy
- Digital Marketing Services
- Fractional CMO
- Outsource Marketing
- Brand Story Workshops
- Integrated Marketing Agency
- Email Marketing
- Press & PR
- Graphic Design
- Video & Photography
- Annual Report Design
- Video Business Cards
- Usability Testing
- Customer Journey Mapping
- Paid Advertising
- Lead Generation Campaigns
- Click Funnels
- Google Adwords
- Social Advertising
- Geo Targeting Campaigns
- B2B Marketing
- Free Webinar Series
- Appointment Setting Service
- AI Marketing Agency
- Saas Marketing
- Thought Leadership
- Virtual Reality
- Website Design and Development
- 3D Website Design
- Animated Website Service
- AR Website Service
- VR Website Service
- Website Design Portfolio
- Website Maintenance & Security
- Our Clients
- Website Examples
- Social Media Bootcamp
- About Shift ONE
- About Dylan Kohlstadt
- BEE Agency Level 2
- Meet the Team
- Giving Back
- Work at Shift ONE
- Find Top Digital Marketing Staff
- Find Top Digital Marketing Jobs
- Find Top Jobs Portal
Don't you sometimes wish that you could be inside your customers' heads to see what their opinions of you are, and what they really want from you?
With Shift ONE's mystery shopping , that's exactly the kind of insight you'll gain.
The only way to improve is to first find out where you are right now.
Mystery shopping is the perfect dip stick to give you a true reflection of how your customers feel about you, and how to make sure they keep coming back.
Mystery shopping can give you insight into quite a few areas, such as:
- Your signage and branding
- The atmosphere of your location
- Your customer service
- Your pricing
- How your customers feel after they leave
We will make sure your mystery shopping is focused, precise , and gives you measurable results that will produce a clear plan of action for both your strengths and weaknesses.
Call us today at +27 21 879 5585 or email [email protected]
Find out where you’re at and what your clients are looking for with Mystery Shopping now.
If you are interested in any of our services, contact us today and set up a meeting.
Tell us a bit about you
Tell us about your Business
Which Webinars would you like to attend?
Top AI Tools for Marketers Top Digital Marketing Trends 2023 B2B Content Marketing in 2023 SaaS and Tech Marketing
Have any questions for Dylan?
Please send me details for the Webinar.
On-demand surveys and mystery shopping
Our consumer insights platform provides insights from mystery shopping & consumer panel surveys to understand your customers & retail execution.
Crowdsource insights from any location
Our 60k+ mystery shoppers are available throughout South Africa.
Our mystery shoppers emulate your customer journey, providing insight from the eyes of the consumer.
Collect insights from paid surveys in minutes from our on-demand consumer panel.
Monitor in-store promotions and customer demo’s with our mystery shoppers.
Start receiving mystery shopper reports within hours of setup
Create a campaign
View reports online, identify and fix issues, a single platform for any industry, mystery shopping made simple for any business., food & drink, consumer brands, petrol station, sign up today & hire a mystery shopper., © 2020 all rights reserved, clandestine insights (pty) ltd..
- How it Works
- Quote Request
Are you based in the United States? Select your country to see jobs specific to your location.
Update your location to see more relevant jobs
58 Mystery shopper Jobs in South Africa
Filter results, date posted.
- South Africa (58)
- Gauteng (25)
- Western Cape (9)
- Limpopo (6)
- Eastern Cape (5)
- KwaZulu-Natal (4)
- Free State (2)
- Mpumalanga (2)
- North West (2)
- Retail Jobs (48)
- Sales Jobs (5)
- Accounting & Finance Jobs (2)
- Hospitality & Catering Jobs (2)
- Admin Jobs (1)
- Permanent (10)
- Contract (3)
- Full time (6)
- Part time (1)
Popular locations, recent searches.
Links to the last 5 searches (with results) that you've made will be displayed here.
Mystery Shoppers Looking to Earn Extra on Fuel
Junior Operations Manager
Recoveries Agent Western Cape
Sales Manager - Remote, Remote
Assistant store manager, country selection.
29 Best Places to Find Legitimate Mystery Shopper Jobs
Our readers always come first.
The content on DollarSprout includes links to our advertising partners. When you read our content and click on one of our partners’ links, and then decide to complete an offer — whether it’s downloading an app, opening an account, or some other action — we may earn a commission from that advertiser, at no extra cost to you.
Our ultimate goal is to educate and inform, not lure you into signing up for certain offers. Compensation from our partners may impact what products we cover and where they appear on the site, but does not have any impact on the objectivity of our reviews or advice.
Mystery shoppers are paid to act like regular, everyday shoppers and provide feedback on their experience with a company. To get started, just sign up with mystery shopping companies in your area, choose your assignments, and start shopping.
- Side Hustles
Our number one goal at DollarSprout is to help readers improve their financial lives, and we regularly partner with companies that share that same vision. If a purchase or signup is made through one of our Partners’ links, we may receive compensation for the referral. Learn more here .
How would you like to get paid to shop with the best mystery shopping companies?
That’s exactly what thousands of people are doing to earn extra money each month.
The companies that pay these “mystery” shoppers need feedback for their business, and they pay mystery shoppers to collect it.
What Is a Mystery Shopper?
A mystery shopper is a person who’s paid to act like a regular, everyday shopper, and then provide feedback on their experience.
Reputable mystery shopping companies give secret shoppers a list of tasks to complete, such as asking specific questions about a product or receiving a service (e.g. an oil change).
After the tasks have been completed, the mystery shopper reports feedback on things like the store’s cleanliness, the employees’ helpfulness, and other details about their experience.
Companies pay secret shoppers for providing this information. In most cases, they also reimburse shoppers for any expenses incurred.
Related: 18 Best Sites for Taking Paid Surveys
How to Become a Secret Shopper (and Find Mystery Shopper Jobs Near You)
Becoming a mystery shopper is simple. All you do is sign up with the best mystery shopping companies in your area, choose your tasks or assignments, and start shopping.
You can sign up with as many mystery shopping services as you like. The more companies you sign up with, the more opportunities you have to make easy money.
One secret shopper worked for 75 companies (at his peak) and made $14,000 in one year just from performing mystery shops on weekends, during his lunch break, and on the way home from work.
29 Best Mystery Shopping Companies to Work For
Need money now and wondering where to find the best mystery shopper jobs nearby? Check out these companies.
1. Ath Power Consulting
Some mystery shopping companies have a wide variety of gigs, while others focus on a certain niche. Ath Power Consulting focuses on the financial and banking industry.
If you complete a mystery shopping gig for the company, you’ll likely have to go into a bank and describe your experience. It also has some jobs that involve going into an airport; these are only available if you already have security clearance.
Ath Power Consulting is a member of the Mystery Shopping Providers Association (MSPA) and is an Elite Member for the fifth consecutive year. Its website says the company offers more than 10,000 mystery shopping jobs a month and has more than 500,000 mystery shoppers registered.
Unlike some other mystery shopping companies, Ath doesn’t pay out right away. It only pays twice a month instead of immediately following a shopping gig.
How it works:
- Sign up to work for Ath.
- Create an account using your email address.
- Fill in your personal information such as your name, address, and demographic details (i.e. race, income, level of education).
Related: 11 Best Shopping Apps to Save Money on Everything
BARE hires mystery shoppers to do in-person or over-the-phone customer chat or video visits. The company was given a Shopper’s Choice award from the MSPA in 2019.
This award is voted on by people who complete mystery shopping jobs, and it means BARE was one of their favorite companies to work for.
When you sign up to work for BARE, you’ll be able to list five area codes in which you want to mystery shop in. This is helpful if you work and live in different area codes and want to maximize your earnings.
- Sign up to be a mystery shopper.
- Choose your language.
- Enter your email address.
- Pick your country.
- Enter your demographic information.
Related: 50 Ways to Make Money Online for Free
3. Secret Shopper
Secret Shopper is a well-established company that helps clients improve their businesses using mystery shoppers to gather data.
It has been around since 1993 and are very credible with many awards, including the MSPA Elite award for 2018. It’s free to sign up, and you set your own hours.
- Sign up to shop on the company’s website.
- Choose your country.
- Read and agree to its Shopper Basics rules and guidelines.
- Complete the basic certification test that verifies that you read all the rules.
- Fill out your personal information, such as your name, address, date of birth, etc.
- After entering your personal information, you’ll receive your shopper ID and password. Use your ID and password to log in, then view and schedule available shops to complete.
Related: 16 Ways You Can Get Paid to Shop for Others
4. Market Force
At Market Force, you’ll complete mystery shop requests for banks, restaurants, and stores. You’ll provide feedback for things such as cleanliness, product selection, and customer service.
Market Force has been awarded MSPA Shopper’s Choice Award, voted on by real mystery shoppers, four years in a row .
- Create a Shopper Force Account.
- Answer several questions about your criminal background.
- Sign and date the Terms of the Agreement.
Pinnacle has been around for 20 years. It assists financial institutions by helping them improve service and sales quality.
Its secret shoppers work solely with credit unions and banks, making it a great choice for anybody interested in finance. It’s completely free to become a mystery shopper with Pinnacle.
- Click the button that says New Shopper Sign Up .
- Add your basic personal information, including bank account details (so you can get paid).
- Answer demographic questions to help Pinnacle find the best jobs for you.
- Agree to the terms.
6. A Closer Look
A Closer Look has won several awards from the MSPA, including the “Elite Company” award for 2018 and the Shopper’s Choice Award in 2019. It specializes in industries such as restaurants, specialty retail, senior living, hotels, and entertainment.
- Click the red button that says Become a Mystery Shopper .
- Provide a current email address.
- Once your email has been approved, you’ll receive a link to the application page (the link expires within 48 hours).
- You’ll have to fill out personal and demographic information, and write a sample essay with “a minimum of two full paragraphs describing your last casual or fine dining restaurant experience.” This essay will be partially used to determine your eligibility, so try to do a good job on this.
- Submit and wait for a response.
7. Quest for Best
Quest for Best provides mystery shopping opportunities in over 40 states in the US, mostly concentrated in the Midwest and Southwest states. You can see its full map here . Its opportunities include things like eating at a restaurant, bowling, and going to a movie theater.
- Click the Become a Shopper link .
- Read the Independent Contractor agreement.
- Fill out the Online Shopper Profile, including contact and demographic information such as gender, which languages you speak fluently, if you have camera access to do hidden video shops, and if you have airport security clearance.
- If there’s a job in your area, Quest for Best will give you the info for the shop. If not, it’ll store your profile until a shopping opportunity is available for you.
IntelliShop serves an extensive list of over 50 industries, so you’re bound to receive mystery shopping jobs that interest you.
The company also received a 2019 Shoppers’ Choice Award from the MSPA, as chosen by actual mystery shoppers. This means they voted IntelliShop as one of the best mystery shopping companies to work for.
- Click the button that says “Go” on the Shopper Sign-Up page.
- Enter your email.
- Read the independent contractor agreement.
- Add your basic personal information, including your bank details (so you can get paid).
- Complete the demographic questionnaire.
- Enter your tax information.
- Agree to the terms and contract.
9. Perception Strategies, Inc.
Perception Strategies, Inc. focuses on healthcare mystery shops. The company has performed over 150,00 healthcare mystery shops since 1998.
Its mystery shopping gigs range from calling a doctor’s office to get a quote for a particular service, doing an in-person visit without making an appointment, or completing a full-length visit.
This mystery shopping company focuses on giving healthcare providers the feedback they need to make their patients’ experience the best possible. It has a list of the cities and areas where it needs mystery shoppers the most.
- Visit the Shopper Application .
- Check out the list of immediate openings.
- If your location doesn’t have an immediate opening, you’ll be notified of any that come up once your application is on file.
- Fill out the information in the application such as if you’ve ever had a felony or worked for a healthcare provider, and submit.
10. Sinclair Customer Metrics
Since 1987, Sinclair has helped thousands of businesses improve their overall customer experience. It offers a wide variety of tasks, including video, phone, and in-person mystery shops. Sinclair is a member of the MSPA.
- To sign up with Sinclair , enter your name and email.
- Read the provided Information for Mystery Shoppers document.
- Review and agree to the Independent Contractor agreement.
- Fill out the secure online application.
- Take the Sinclair New Shopper Challenge.
- Take the New Shopper Survey.
11. Ipsos (formerly GfK)
If you live outside the US and are looking to mystery shop internationally, check out Ipsos. Your secret shops will be either in person, by phone, through email, or using web chat.
Ipsos secret shoppers perform mystery shops ranging from gas stations, to banks, to restaurants.
Supported countries include:
- United States
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- Sign up here.
- Enter your email, country, and ZIP Code.
- Enter your address, contact information, and gender.
- Fill in more personal details such as height, weight, marital status, occupation, and the type of equipment you have.
- Read its agreement.
Related: DollarSprout’s Ipsos i-Say Review
BestMark is one of the largest mystery shopper companies and has been around since 1986. It’s a member of the MSPA and offers 10,000-plus mystery shop assignments each month for restaurants, hotels, and resorts. The payment will differ based on the assignment that you choose.
- Click the “Sign Up Now” button on the right-hand side of its become a shopper page .
- Fill in your basic personal information, demographic questions, work history, ethnicity, and create a password.
- Read and agree to the independent contractor agreement, guidelines, and policies.
- Once you submit this information, you’ll be able to see which in-person or phone/web mystery shopping gigs are available.
13. Second to None
Second to None looks for mystery shoppers for a couple of specific jobs. Right now the company is looking for those who are AARP members or willing to talk to insurance brokers and organizations. Check in often to see when it updates its requirements.
- Apply to be a Second to None mystery shopper .
- Fill in your contact information, and create your login.
- Submit your application.
ACPVIEW, which stands for a customer’s point of view, does mystery shops for retail, grocery stores, casual and fast food dining options, airports, public transportation, retail banking, and government agencies.
- Type in your email address and country.
- Read the Services Agreement and Release.
AboutFace has been around for 20 years and is a member of the MSPA. It has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and offers mystery shopping jobs in all 50 states. According to the site, it pays 15% more than the industry average, but its rates aren’t clearly stated.
- Sign up to be an AboutFace Mystery Shopper .
- Type in your contact information.
- Read the Independent Contractor Agreement.
- Wait to verify your email.
- Add information such as your PayPal email address, a picture of your driver’s license, a picture of yourself, and answer a few basic questions.
Confero offers mystery shopping opportunities in food service, retail, banking, automotive, healthcare, consumer products, airports, movie theaters, theme parks, and tourist attractions.
- Sign up to be a Confero Mystery Shopper.
- Type in your email address and select your country.
- Read and agree to the Independent Contractor Agreement.
- Fill in your contact and demographic information.
- Choose which area codes you live and work in. This will determine what opportunities you get.
17. Amusement Advantage
Amusement Advantage is a mystery shopping company that pays people to mystery shop at amusement parks, bowling alleys, zoos, museums, aquariums, and other popular attractions. You have to be just as detailed-oriented for these gigs, even though they can be more fun than going to a grocery store.
In some cases, you’re only paid via free admission for the mystery shop assignment and free tickets afterward. You can earn an extra $5 if you fulfill the mystery shop by 10 a.m. the day after your assignment.
You’ll also earn $20 if you refer new mystery shoppers to Amusement Advantage. The downside is that it takes 30 to 45 days to receive payment, which is longer than other companies. Amusement Advantage is a member of the MSPA.
- Sign up to join Amusement Advantage here .
- Create an account.
- Fill in your contact information and birthdate.
- Submit and see which opportunities are available in your state.
Mystery shoppers who complete gigs for SeeLevel will find opportunities within the fast food, retail, financial services, and automotive industries. If you want to get a free meal while you complete a mystery shopping job, then you should sign up with SeeLevel. Payments are sent via PayPal.
- Register with SeeLevel using your email address.
- Fill in your contact and demographic information including birthday, gender, household income, height, weight, and area codes near where you live and work.
- Submit and wait to hear back.
19. Shopper’s View
Shopper’s View is a founding member of the MSPA and offers mystery shopping opportunities. It offers mystery shopping gigs with food, retail, and even sporting events.
It also offers telephone mystery shopping gigs, which is perfect if you can’t drive or don’t have regular access to a car. Shopper’s View has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- Start your Shopper’s view profile.
- Select your language.
- Type in your email address and choose your country.
- Fill in the contact and demographic information.
iSecretShop is available both as a phone app and on a desktop browser. If you use the app, you can usually fill in all the required information so you don’t have to type everything in separately on a computer.
You can choose from in-person shops, web and phone shops, and polls. Look through the job board once you’ve registered to see the list of available opportunities.
iSecretShop pays via PayPal.
- Visit iSecretShop’s site.
- Fill in your contact and demographic information including gender, number of children, and address.
RBG, or RealityBasedGroup, is a member of the MSPA. It offers video, written, phone, and online mystery shopping opportunities. Some of its clients include Goodwill, Texas Roadhouse, Cinnabon, and SportsClips.
It says other clients include department stores, bookstores, banks, gyms, and restaurants. There’s a wide variety of gigs available, so you’re more likely to find something you enjoy.
- Register with RBG by filling in your email address and selecting your country.
22. Mercantile Systems Inc.
Mercantile Systems Inc. is a member of the MSPA. It offers mystery shopping opportunities including restaurants, hotels, storage facilities, golf courses, retail, healthcare, and financial service providers.
It pays within 45 days of the assignment being completed, which is a little longer than normal. Shoppers have 24 hours to complete the assignment.
- Sign up for Mercantile Systems here.
- Type in your contact and demographic information.
- Sign the Independent Contractor/Shopper Agreement.
- Verify your email address.
Mystery Shopping Jobs by Phone
If in-person shopping isn’t your thing, or if you don’t have time to visit stores, then secret shopping by phone may be a better fit for you.
23. Call Center QA
Call Center QA helps organizations improve the quality and helpfulness of their call centers. This company is a good option if you like chatting on the phone and have excellent reading and writing skills and attention to detail.
You can complete all your calls from home using your landline or mobile phone. It pays $5 per call, and each call and feedback form takes around 15 minutes to complete. You’ll receive payment within seven business days.
- Fill out the application including basic information questions, education, homeownership, if you own or lease a car, and how you heard about the company.
- You must be a resident of the US and be at least 18 years old.
- Click submit. You’ll receive further information after completing the application.
24. ARC Consulting
With ARC, you’re paid via PayPal per mystery phone call. How much work and pay you receive depends on the opportunities it has available at the time.
The application says it’s hiring from select countries and looking for people who speak a variety of languages.
- Complete the online ARC Consulting application .
- Enter your contact details, PayPal payment information, gender, and birthdate.
- Add your login details and submit.
Yardi-Matrix provides a job opportunity for those interested in taking surveys for the commercial real estate industry. If hired, your job will be to call apartment communities pretending to be a renter. The company will provide you with specific questions to ask.
To complete the tasks, you’ll need high-speed internet access and a phone. You’ll be paid $6 per hour with additional pay as follows:
- $0.50 for completed surveys
- $0.30 for surveys with a wrong number
- $0.20 for partially-completed surveys
- $0.07 for surveys with an answering machine or no answer
Users must complete 75 surveys the first week and 100 surveys each following week. You’ll have to call between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. in its surveyed time zones.
- Send a copy of your current resume to the Yardi Matrix contact .
- The company will contact you with further details.
Observa is a mystery shopping app available on both iPhone and Android devices. You have to download the app to receive mystery shopping gigs.
It has a 4.3 rating from the App Store and a 4.4 rating from the Google Play Store. Its official app description says that payments are between $4 and $20. Payment is made within 24 hours via PayPal. You can also choose to be paid in Bitcoin.
27. Field Agent
Field Agent is a mystery shopping app where you can get assignments once you create an account. Previous companies and assignments include AutoZone, Amazon Fresh Pickup, Walmart convenience stores, and Dollar General’s new DGX store.
Field Agent has a 4.8 rating on the App Store and a 4.0 rating on the Google Play Store.
According to the app description, jobs pay between $3 and $20. The app will review photos and descriptions and pay out two days after you submit them.
Merchandiser is an app available on both iPhone and Android devices. The app has a 4.3 rating on the App store and a 4.1 rating on the Google Play Store. It’s not exactly a mystery shopping app. The gigs available on Merchandiser are more retail-related, like:
- Restocking shelves
- Putting stickers on items
- Counting inventory
- Setting up promotional displays
Download the app, fill in your information, and wait to get gigs in your area. Shoppers are paid via PayPal, and most gigs take about 15 minutes to do.
Gigwalk is a member of the MSPA, unlike some of the other apps on this list. The app has a 4.6 rating on the App Store and a 3.7 rating on the Google Play Store.
The app pays via PayPal. According to the site, gigs can take between five minutes to several hours and pay between $3 and $100. Not all gigs are mystery-shopping related. They range from taking pictures of a house for insurance purposes to double checking prices at the grocery store.
You can complete assignments straight from the app, so you don’t have to go home and log onto a computer to complete an assignment.
How to Avoid Mystery Shopping Scams
Our list of mystery shopping companies only includes legitimate options. However, not all companies are as high caliber, and some are complete scams. Here’s what to watch out for.
Only choose from a trusted list of mystery shopping companies.
When searching for reputable mystery shopping companies, make sure you sign up for companies recommended by trusted sources.
Check to see if the company is a member of the MSPA. You can find a list of its member companies here . If it’s not on here, check Trustpilot or the Better Business Bureau. If you don’t see any online footprint, then it’s probably not worth doing business with.
Never wire money.
If you’re asked by a mystery shopping company to deposit a check into your personal account, withdraw the amount in cash, and wire it to a third party, don’t do it. The check is fake, and it’s a scam.
The check may look like it’s gone through and the money has appeared in your account, but it hasn’t officially cleared. It can take banks weeks to uncover a fake check.
Once the fake check is discovered, you’ll likely be held responsible for paying back the bank for the amount you deposited and withdrew. Play it safe and never deposit a check from someone you don’t know if you’re going to wire the money back.
Never pay in advance to become a mystery shopper.
All of the mystery shopping companies listed above are completely free to sign up for, and that’s for a reason. If you ever come across a mystery shopping company that asks you to pay money to join, it’s a scam.
Related: 6 Common Work-from-Home Scams to Look Out For
Find Your Ideal Mystery Shopping Niche
Mystery shopping is a fun side hustle because you can often get free food or be reimbursed for buying specific products. If you already work near a mall, shopping plaza, or busy downtown area, then you don’t have to worry about driving around a lot.
Like most side hustle apps and websites, you can sign up with several different mystery shopping companies to maximize your rewards. This also lets you see which have the highest hourly rate and are worth completing.
Because some jobs take longer than others, it can be hard to gauge which companies are better until you’ve had some experience.