Academia.edu no longer supports Internet Explorer.
To browse Academia.edu and the wider internet faster and more securely, please take a few seconds to upgrade your browser .
Enter the email address you signed up with and we'll email you a reset link.
- We're Hiring!
- Help Center
BUSINESS PLAN OF " THE STATIONERY SHOP "
- We're Hiring!
- Help Center
- Find new research papers in:
- Health Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Cognitive Science
- Computer Science
- Academia ©2023
- Business Plan for Investors
- Bank/SBA Business Plan
- Strategic/Operational Business Plan
- L1 Visa Business Plan
- E1 Treaty Trader Visa Business Plan
- E2 Treaty Investor Visa Business Plan
- EB-1 Business Plan
- EB-2 NIW Business Plan
- EB-5 Business Plan
- Innovator Founder Visa Business Plan
- Start-Up Visa Business Plan
- Expansion Worker Visa Business Plan
- Manitoba MPNP Visa Business Plan
- Nova Scotia NSNP Visa Business Plan
- British Columbia BC PNP Visa Business Plan
- Self-Employed Visa Business Plan
- OINP Entrepreneur Stream Business Plan
- LMIA Owner Operator Business Plan
- ICT Work Permit Business Plan
- LMIA Mobility Program – C11 Entrepreneur Business Plan
- USMCA (ex-NAFTA) Business Plan
- Franchise Business Plan
- Landlord business plan
- Nonprofit Start-Up Business Plan
- USDA Business Plan
- Cannabis business plan
- Ecommerce business plan
- Online boutique business plan
- Mobile application business plan
- Daycare business plan
- Restaurant business plan
- Food delivery business plan
- Real estate business plan
- Business Continuity Plan
- Buy Side Due Diligence Services
- ICO whitepaper
- ICO consulting services
- Confidential Information Memorandum
- Private Placement Memorandum
- Feasibility study
- How it works
- Business Plan Examples
Stationery Business Plan Sample
Stationery business plan for starting your own stationery shop
Do you want to start a stationery business? Stationery business is one of those businesses which can be started very easily and with relatively lower initial investments. Stationery shops, which mainly provide products like books, magazines, newspapers, paper products, textbooks, greeting cards and lottery tickets, can be enhanced to provide services like custom printing, money transfer, photocopying, etc. guaranteeing more revenue.
In case, you don’t know how to start a stationery business , the first thing you must do is to create a detailed business plan covering all aspects of your business. To help you write an effective business plan , we are providing a sample business plan for a stationery business start up named ‘PaperSource’.
2.1 the business.
PaperSource will be a 550 sq. ft shop located on the ground floor of Mega Mall near the Lake Travis High School in Austin. The shop will offer a wide collection of course books, paper products, greeting cards and other stationery items.
The shop will be owned by ‘Joe William’ who was a school teacher but has retired now. Joe is a rich person and is to do something for promoting education in his society, generating more money and also as a good time spent.
PaperSource will be owned by Joe William, a senior teacher retired from Lake Travis High School, Ranch Road, Austin. Joe will also hire a small team for helping him in starting a stationery business .
Before you start a stationery business you must know who your primary customers will be, so that you can attract them. The main customers of our stationery shop include students, teachers, and office assistants present near our shop.
2.4 Target of the Company
Our business targets are as follows:
3.1 company owner.
PaperSource will be owned by Joe William, a senior teacher retired from Lake Travis High School, Ranch Road, Austin. Joe has been teaching for more than 35 years and has been associated with Lake Travis High School for the last 12 years.
3.2 Why the Business is being started
Joe decided to stationery business start up because, to him, it is the best way to invest his savings. In addition to generating revenue, a stationery business will constantly keep him in contact with people associated with education, like students and teachers – whom he loves to interact with. That’s why Joe decided to open a stationery shop and implement all his stationery business ideas on it.
3.3 How the Business will be started
The business will be started in a 550 sq. ft shop located on the ground floor of Mega Mall near the Lake Travis High School in Austin. After getting the business registered by the tax authorities, the company will purchase the items of stationery for business start up including academic books. The company will also provide photocopying, printing and money transfer services to the customers.
The costs for startup are as follows:
Services for customers
If you don’t know how to start your own stationery business but you want to start it, then you can take help from this sample business plan. The success of a stationery business start up greatly depends on what products and services are being provided so make sure to plan it beforehand. PaperSource will provide the following products and services to its customers:
- Stationery Items: We will provide all sorts of stationery items including but not limited to pens, highlighters, markers, permanent markers, pencils, colored pencils, ruled papers, binder books, glue, sticky tape, staplers and staples, rubber bands, paper clips, drawing pins, folder dividers, hanging files, scissors, calculator, etc.
- Textbooks, Notebooks & Paper Products: We will provide an exclusive assortment of envelopes, notebooks, notepads, papers, sheets, covers, and textbooks.
- Photocopying, Printing & Money Transfer Service: We will also provide photocopying, printing and money transfer services.
- Miscellaneous Items: The shop will also contain other miscellaneous items which aren’t part of stationery but are frequently needed such as tissue papers, bubble wrap roll, USB flash drives, micro SD cards, printer toner, lottery tickets, postage stamps etc.
Marketing Analysis of stationery business
The most important component of an effective office stationary shop business plan is its marketing plan which can only be developed after an accurate market analysis. Before creating the stationery supplier business plan , you must consider whether its market has enough capacity or not.
While developing your marketing plan for stationery business , you must also keep in mind that there are a lot of people sharing the same business and the same market so if you want to make your business a success, you will have to get a clear picture of the current market that you will be serving.
You can also use this stationery shop business plan sample for helping formulate a small stationery business plan for your shop. However, if you want to start your business at a large scale, you must seek help from marketing analysts and experts for making your stationery and office supplies business plan .
Immigration Business Plan
5.1 marketing trends.
Stationery items are the most consumed articles in the educational institutions, as well as other institutes and offices. However, according to IBISWorld, the business has encountered a decline in annual growth because of the increasing electronic communication which has greatly reduced the demand for traditional paper as well as the related products. Before you proceed with your stationery store business plan , you must consider the current statistics of the stationery industry which can found on the internet as well as in this stationery business plan template . Currently, there are around 88,000 stationery businesses operating in the United States. The industry is generating an annual revenue of $8 billion and is responsible for employing more than 1.9 million people.
5.2 Marketing Segmentation
While developing your stationery supply business plan you must keep your target customers in mind as well as all the segments your market is divided into. Like with the other components of the plan, you can have an idea about the market segmentation of customers from this stationery business plan sample but the actual segmentation will depend on the demographics of the area where you will be starting your business. Since PaperSource will be surrounded by schools and offices, our primary target market will be the students, teachers and office staff present in the area. Our target market is divided as follows:
The detailed marketing segmentation of our target audience is as follows:
5.2.1 Students & Teachers: Although in this era of technology many students as well as teachers do their work on computers and prefer to buy e-books instead of printed ones, still there is a great demand of stationery items in the market. Students and teachers still need various things like papers, files, markers, pens etc. for their daily usage, while still there are many who prefer to read books in hard form. This group is also likely to buy flash drives, SD cards, and utilize our photocopying and printing service.
5.2.2 Companies & Businesses: This customer group is composed of companies and businesses located in the area. This customer group makes purchases of the stationery items for the entire organization, however, sometimes different groups within the same organization also make individual purchases. Companies and businesses mostly have their own printers and photocopiers so they are not likely to use that service.
5.2.3 Institutions: Although in these days most of the official work is done online, still the accountants and clerks of various institutions need stationery items for many purposes.
5.3 Business Target
Our business targets are:
- To become the best stationery shop in the municipality within one year
- To achieve the net profit margin of $10k per month by the end of the first year, $15k per month by the end of the second year, and $25k per month by the end of the third year
- To add more items such as gift cards, gift boxes, school bags, key chains etc. by the end of the first year
- To balance the initial cost of the startup with the earned profits by the end of the first year
5.4 Product Pricing
Product pricing is one of the most important factors in deciding the success of a startup business so it must be planned very carefully. At our stationery shop, some objects such as course books will be sold at the same price as sold by our competitors. However, for the purpose of encouraging sales, we have priced some of the things including office supplies, stationery and other merchandise slightly cheaper as compared to our competitors.
Excellent! I would recommend this company to anyone.
Sales strategy is also another important component of your business plan for stationery since it establishes how you will attract your customers toward you.
6.1 Competitive Analysis
Your stationery business start up can never survive if you don’t have something special and different about you because this industry is one of the most competitive industries. That’s why you must possess some competitive aspects before starting your own stationery business .
As a stationery startup, we have set our prices in reasonable ranges and some products are even cheaper than their market prices. In addition to that, we will make sure to provide everything customers may need under one roof and it will also serve as our competitive advantage.
6.2 Sales Strategy
We will attract our customers towards us through various efforts, such as:
- We will introduce ourselves to the schools, offices, and residents of the town by sending them introductory letters
- We will advertise our shop through newspapers and local TV ads
- We will give 5% discount on every shopping above $200
6.3 Sales Forecast
6.4 Sales Monthly
6.5 Sales Yearly
The personnel plan describes the number and type of staff needed for your startup. It’s also very important and must be properly developed before you start stationery business . The personnel plan of PaperSource is as follows:
7.1 Company Staff
We will initially hire the following staff:
- 1 Cashier for keeping records
- 1 Worker for printing and photocopying
- 1 Cleaner for arranging and cleaning things
- 2 Assistants for handling customers
7.2 Average Salary of Employees
The final thing to do before starting your stationery business start up is to determine the pros and cons of your business regarding finances. To gain more and more profit in stationery business you must purchase high-quality things at reasonable prices. After that, you have to sell those objects while keeping your stationery business profit margin .
The stationery business comprises of small as well as large purchases and sales. Large sales such as a pack of 100 notebooks or a pack of 500 folders determine the real stationery business margin profits for you. However, you can also benefit from the small sales as they will also benefit you no matter how small they are! The detailed financial plan for our stationery business is given below. The financial plan describes all expenses required for the startup as well as how these expenses will be covered by your earned revenues.
8.1 Brake-even Analysis
8.3 Projected Profit and Loss
8.3.1 profit monthly.
8.3.2 Profit Yearly
8.3.3 Gross Margin Monthly
8.3.4 Gross Margin Yearly
8.4 Projected Cash Flow
Download Stationery Business Plan Sample in PDF
Professional OGS capital writers specialized also in themes such as corner store business plan , retail business plan , toy store business plan , vape shop business plan , retail discount store business plan , small retail business plan and many other business plans.
OGSCapital’s team has assisted thousands of entrepreneurs with top-rate business plan development, consultancy and analysis. They’ve helped thousands of SME owners secure more than $1.5 billion in funding, and they can do the same for you.
E-mail is already registered on the site. Please use the Login form or enter another .
You entered an incorrect username or password
Thanks for the supporting documents which helps in writing stationery business plan. Though I don't have any resources now but I believe through this plan I will lobby to get funding. I earned bachelor degree in economics and emphasis in demography/population study. Since 2021, I can find a job to suit my area of study. I will also appreciate your fullest efforts in empowering me achieve my purpose here on Earth..
mentioned in the press:
Search the site:
OGScapital website is not supported for your current browser. Please use:
Get the Tata Capital App to apply for Loans & manage your account. Download Now
- Personal Loan
- Business Loan
- Vehicle Loan
- Loan Against Securities
- Loan Against Property
- Consumer Durable Loan
- Credit Cards
Personal loan starting @ 10.99% p.a
- Instant approval
- Zero processing fees
All you need to know
- Rates & Charges
- Documents Required
Personal loan for all your needs
- Personal Loan for Education
Personal Loan for Travel
Personal Loan for Medical
Personal Loan for Marriage
Personal Loan for Home Renovation
Check Your Credit Score
Higher credit score increases the chances of loan approval. Check your CIBIL score today and get free insights on how to be credit-worthy.
Home Loan with instant approval starting @ 8.70% p.a
- Easy repayment
- Home Loan Online
- Approved Housing Projects
Home Loan for all your needs
- Home Extension Loan
Affordable Housing Loan
Plot & Construction Loan
- Balance Transfer
Home Loan Top Up
- PMAY Calculator
Balance Transfer & Top-up Calculator
- Area Conversion Calculator
- Stamp Duty Calculator
Register as a Selling Agent. Join our Loan Mitra Program
Business loan to suit your growth plan
- Collateral-free loans
- Customized EMI options
Business loan for all your needs
- Machinery Loan
Small Business Loan
- GST Calculator
- Foreclosure Calculator
Looking for Secured Business Loans?
Get secured business loans with affordable interest rates with Tata Capital. Verify eligibility criteria and apply today
Accelerate your dreams with our Vehicle Loans
- Flexible Tenures
- Competitive interest rates
Explore Used Car Loans
- Used Car Loan
Loan On Used Car
Explore Two Wheeler Loans
- Two Wheeler Loan
Used Car EMI Calculator
Two Wheeler EMI Calculator
Get upto 95% of your car value and book your dream car
A loan upto ₹5,00,000 to own the bike of your choice
Avail Loan Against Securities up to ₹40 crores
- Quick access to finance
- Zero foreclosure charges
Explore Loan Against Securities
Loan against Shares
Loan against mutual funds
- Loan Against Securities Calculator
Avail Loan Against Property up to ₹3 crores
- Loan against property
- Business loan against property
- Mortgage loan against property
- EMI Options
Loans for all your needs
Avail Consumer Durable Loans at 0%* interest rate
- Pre-approved EMI Card
Refrigerator on EMI
Washing Machine on EMI
Mobile on EMI
Camera on EMI
Laptop on EMI
Electronics on EMI
Home Appliances on EMI
Television on EMI
QIK EMI Card
Shop with our QIK EMI card at authorized dealerships and repay with easy EMIs
Find a dealer
Empowering Rural India with Microfinance loans
- Quick processing
Want To Know More?
- Working Capital Loans
- Equipment Financing & Leasing
Commercial Vehicle Loan
- Explore all Business Loans
Digital financial solutions to aid your growth
- Simple standard documentation process
- Quick disbursal
Most Popular products
Purchase Order Funding
Working Capital Demand Loan
Sub Dealer Loan
Financing solutions tailored to your business needs
- Quick approvals
- Flexible payment options
Our Bestselling Products
Letter of Credit
Lease Rental Discounting
Avail Term Loans up to Rs. 1 Crore
- Customise loan tenures as per your needs
- Get your loan processed, sanctioned and funds disbursed digitally
- Equipment Finance
Avail Digital Equipment Loans up to Rs. 1 Crore
- Attractive ROIs
- Customizable Loan tenure
Avail Leasing solutions for all asset classes
- Up to 100% financing
- No additional collateral required
Ensure your business’ operational effeciency with ease
- Wide range of equipments covered
- Minimum paperwork
- Construction Finance
- Construction Equipment Finance
Wealth Services by Tata Capital
Personalised Wealth Services for exclusive customers delivered by a team of experts from a suite of product offerings
- Inhouse research & reports
- Exclusive Privileges & Offers
Financial Goal Calculator
- Download forms
Moneyfy by Tata Capital
A personal finance app, your one-stop shop for comprehensive financial needs - SIP, Mutual Funds, Loans, Insurance, Credit Cards and many more
- 100% digital journey
- Start investing in SIP as low as Rs 500
- Mutual Funds
Protect your family against unforeseen risks
Avail any of the Insurance policies online in just a few clicks
Bestselling insurance solutions
Home & Travel Insurance
Protection Plan & other solutions
Retirement Solutions & Child Plan
Quick Links for loans
- Used Car Loans
- Loan against Property
Loan Against securities
Quick Links for insurance
- Car Insurance
- Bike Insurance
Saving & Investments
Cancer care Insurance
- Wellness solutions
- Retirement Solution Plans
- Child Plans
- Home Insurance
- Travel Insurance
Choose from our list of insurance solutions
Retirement Solutions & Child Plans
Quick Links for Loans
Cancer Care Insurance
Offers & Updates
Download the moneyfy app.
Be investment ready in minutes
Take a Tata Capital Home Loan
Lowest interest rates starting at 8.70%*
Apply for a Tata Card
Get benefits worth Rs. 18,000*
Sign in to unlock special offers!
You are signed in to unlock special offers.
- Retail Customer Login
- Corporate Customer Login
- My Wealth Account
- Dropline Overdraft Loan
- Two wheeler Loan
Quick Links for Insurance
- Term insurance
- Savings & investments
- Medical insurance
- Cardiac care
- Cancer care
- Rate & Charges
Loan Against Shares
Loan Against Mutual Funds
Compound Interest Calculator
Home Insurance & Travel Insurance
You will now be redirected to www.tatacard.com website.
By proceeding, you are acknowledging the above & accepting the Terms and Conditions as specified here.
- Loan for Home
- Loan for Business
- Loan for Education
- Loan for Vehicle
- Personal Use Loan
- Loan for Travel
- Loan for Wedding
- Capital Goods Loan
- Home Repair Loan
- Medical Loan
- Loan on Property
- Loan on Securities
- Wealth Services
- What’s Trending
- RBI Regulations
- Equipment Lease
- Circulating Capital Loan
- Construction Loan
- Leadership Talks
- Dealer Finance
- Government Updates
- Lockdown News
- Finance Solutions
Tata Capital > Blog > Loan for Business > How To Start A Stationery Shop Business In India
How to start a stationery shop business in india.
Stationery is one of the oldest and most popular businesses in India. It is a low-cost business with high growth potential. Stationery shops are usually located near schools and colleges to ensure a steady stream of customers.
There are a lot of stores that sell office supplies and stationery in every town and city in India. But how many of these stores are even profitable? “Very few” is the answer. Most major stationery stores are run by families who have been in the business for generations. If you want to open a stationery shop in India, you should learn about the market first. Only then can you come up with a plan that will help your shop do well.
What is a stationery shop?
Typically, a stationery shop sells paper-based products such as sheets, cards, envelopes, and other writing supplies like pens, pencils, erasers, etc., along with business stationery. In addition, many stationery shops also sell items such as journals, planners, and photo albums.
If you want to open a stationery store in India, there are a few things to keep in mind.
First, you have to get a licence from the city or town where your store will be. Next, you’ll need an initial investment to get started. For instance, you will need money to pay an advance amount for the space you have rented. You will then need to build an inventory, hire people, pay rent and pay for utilities such as electricity. You may have to spend on advertising to spread the word about your venture and its offerings.
A good way to reach out to a wider consumer base would be to start an online stationery business.
Stationery Shop Business Plan
As the name suggests, a stationery shop sells writing supplies ranging from books and paper to writing and art supplies. Many stationery shops stock gift articles and gift wrappers too.
If you plan to start a stationery shop business in India, you must create a detailed business plan. This business plan will help you set up your shop, market your products, and make profits.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to start a stationery business:
- Decide on the type of products you want to sell: The first step is to decide the kind of products you wish to trade in your store. For example, various types of stationery are available in the market, so choose the ones you think will be most popular with your target group.
- Choose the right location: The next step is to choose the right location for your store. Look for a place with high foot traffic and is easily accessible by your prospective customers.
- Create a marketing plan: Once you have decided on the products and location, the next step is to create a marketing plan. This plan should include strategies for promoting your store and attracting customers.
- Set up your shop: The fourth step is to set up the shop, be it online or offline, including making sure the aesthetics of your shop are in line with what the customers are looking for.
Stationery Shop Business Licenses
There are a few things you need to do before you can open a stationery store in India. The first thing you need to do is get the licences your business needs. What you have to do to get an appointment varies from state to state. To get a business licence for your stationery shop, you need to meet some general requirements.
The first thing you need to do is go to the municipal corporation in your city and apply for a trade license. This authorises you to run your business as a stationery store from a certain place. Along with the application, you will need to send in certain documents, such as a rental or lease agreement for the shop, your identity proof, information about the business you want to start and so on.
Once you have the trade license, you must go to the local shop and establishment authority and ask for a shop act license. This licence is needed by all businesses that sell things to consumers. For your stationery shop business, you will need to submit things like a floor plan, a list of employees and information about the nature and scope of your business.
After obtaining both the trade license and shop act license, you will need to apply for a business certificate from the ward office in your municipality. This certificate is required to show that your business complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
How to open a stationery shop in India?
- Before opening a stationery shop in India, it is essential to research the market and understand the potential customer base. In addition, it is also necessary to obtain the required licenses from the local authorities.
- Once these preliminary steps are completed, the next step is to find a suitable location for the shop. The shop should be centrally located and easily accessible to potential customers.
- After finding a suitable location, the next step is to set up the shop. This includes setting up shelves and displays and stocking the shop with products. It is also essential to create a branding strategy for the shop.
- Alternatively, you can decide to take your business online. In this case, you do not need a physical store set-up; however, you will still need to maintain adequate inventory.
- The last step is to promote the shop and attract customers. This can be done through various marketing channels such as print, online, and word-of-mouth.
So, these are a few tips on how to start a stationery shop business in India. Stationery businesses can prove to be fairly profitable if done right. Just make sure that you do your research before setting up the shop so that you are aware of all the costs involved. Also, remember always to stock good quality products so that your customers keep coming back to you.
If you are starting a stationery business in India and need money to do so, check out the Tata Capital Business Loan section for more information on how to get money quickly to start this business.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Most Viewed Blogs
Different Types of Business Loans & How to Choose the Right Business Loan for Your Needs
Best Low-Investment Business Ideas In 2023
Top 10 Profitable Big Business Ideas In India
How To Start A Dropshipping Business In India
10 Profitable Agricultural Business Ideas for Farmers and Entrepreneurs
How To Start Organic Farming in India
How To Start A Clothing Brand In India
How to Start Scrap Business in India?
How To Start Real Estate Business In India?
10 Best Small Business Ideas For Villages And Rural Areas
Personal Loan EMI
Home Loan EMI
Business Loan EMI
Used Car Loan EMI
Two Wheeler Loan EMI
- Media Center
- Branch Locator
- Tata Capital Financial Services Limited
- Tata Capital Housing Finance Limited
- Tata Cleantech Capital Limited
- Tata Securities Limited
Tata Mutual Fund
- Tata Code of Conduct
- Master Terms & Conditions
- Vendor Feedback Form
- Rate History
- Ways to Service
- Our Partners
- Partnership APIs
- Tata Capital Limited
Our Private Equity Funds
- Tata Capital Healthcare Fund
- Tata Opportunities Fund
- Tata Capital Growth Fund
Most important terms & conditions - home loans.
Download in your preferred language
Policies, Codes & Other Documents
- Tata Code Of Conduct
- Audit Committee Charter
- Affirmative Action Policy
- Whistleblower Policy
- Code of Conduct for Non-Executive Directors
- Remuneration Policy
- Board Diversity Policy
- Code of Corporate Disclosure Practices and Policy on determination of legitimate purpose for communication of UPSI
- Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption Policy
- Vigil Mechanism
- Composition Of Committees
- Notice Of Hours Of Work, Rest-Interval, Weekly Holiday
- Fit & Proper Policy
- Policy For Appointment Of Statutory Auditor
- Policy On Related Party Transactions
- Policy For Determining Material Subsidiaries
- Policy On Archival Of Documents
- Familiarisation Programme
- Compensation Policy for Key Management Personnel and Senior Management
- Fair Practice Code
- Fair Practice Code - Micro Finance
- Internal Guidelines on Corporate Governance for TCFSL
- TCFSL - Audit Committee Charter
- Composition of Committees
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption Policy
- Whistle Blower Policy
- Code of Corporate Disclosure Practices and Policy for determination of Legitimate Purpose for Communications of UPSI
- Policy for Determining Interest Rates, Processing and Other Charges
- Investor Information and Financials
- Board Diversity Policy and Director Attributes
- Auction Terms & Conditions
- Notice of Hours of Work, Rest-Interval, Weekly Holiday
- Policy on Resolution Framework 2.0
- Policy for Appointment of Statutory Auditor
- RBI Circular on Provisioning
- Policy on Archival of Documents
- Grievance Redressal Policy
- List of Terminated Vendors
- Compensation Policy For Key Management Personnel And Senior Management
- NHB registration certificate
- KYC pamphlet
- Fair Practices Code
- Most Important Terms & Conditions - Home Equity
- Most Important Terms & Conditions - Offline Quick Cash
- Most Important Terms & Conditions - Digital Quick Cash
- Most Important Terms & Conditions - GECL
- Most Important Terms & Conditions - Dropline Overdraft
- GST Details
- Customer Grievance Redressal Policy
- Recovery Agents List
- Legal Disclaimer
- Privacy Commitment
- Investor Information And Financials
- Guidelines On Corporate Governance
- Policy Board Diversity Policy and Director Attributes
- TCHFL audit committee Charter
- Code of Conduct For Non-Executive Directors
- Code of Corporate Disclosure Pracrtices and policy On determination of Legitimate purpose
- List of Terminated Channel Partners
- Policy On Resolution Framework 2.0
- RBI Circular On Provisioning
- Policy for Use of Unparliamentary Language by Customers
- Policy for Determining Interest Rates and Other Charges
- Additional Facility
- Internal Guidelines on Corporate Governance
- Board Audit Committee Charter
- Customer Grievance Redressal
- Policy For Determining Interest Rates, Processing And Other Charges
- Code Of Corporate Disclosure Practices And Policy For Determination Of Legitimate Purpose For Communications Of UPSI
- Policy On Board Diversity And Director Attributes’ (Policies Section)
- Compensation policy for Key Management Personnel and Senior Management
- Prevention Of Money Laundering Policy
- Policy For Accounting Of Tax In Respect Of The Tax Position Under Litigation
- Cyber Security Policy
- Conflict Of Interest Policy
- Policy For Outsourcing Of Activities
- Surveillance Policy
- Anti-Bribery And Anti-Corruption Policy
- Code Of Conduct For Prevention Of Insider Trading
Tata Capital Solutions & Services
- Loans for You
- Loans for Business
- Overdraft Personal Loan
- Wedding Loan
- Travel Loan
- Home Renovation Loan
- Personal Loan for Govt employee
- Personal Loan for Salaried
- Personal Loan for Doctors
- Personal Loan for Women
- Small Personal Loan
- Required Documents
- Application Process
- Affordable Housing
- Business Loan for Women
- MSME/SME Loan
- Mutual Fund
- Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS)
- Credit Score
- Structured Loans
- Commercial Vehicle Finance
- Personal Loan EMI Calculator
- Personal Loan Pre Payment Calculator
- Personal Loan Eligibility Calculator
- Home Loan EMI Calculator
- Balance Transfer & Top-Up Calculator
- Home Loan Eligibility Calculator
- Business Loan EMI Calculator
- Business Loan Pre Payment Calculator
- Loan Against Property EMI Calculator
- Used car Loan EMI Calculator
- Two wheeler Loan EMI Calculator
- APR Calculator
- Personal Loan Rates And Charges
- Home Loan Rates And Charges
- Business Loan Rates And Charges
- Loan Against Property Rates And Charges
- Used Car Loan Rates And Charges
- Two Wheeler Loan Rates and Charges
- Loan Against Securities Rates And Charges
- Consumer Durable Loan Rates And Charges
- Business Ideas
- Franchise Ideas
- Dealership Ideas
How to start a Stationery Business in India
- by SBH Team
The quality of education in India is improving rapidly. As a result, the number of schools and colleges is also increasing every year. This development has created a huge demand for stationery items all over the country.
The scope for stationery business in India is evergreen. If you have a plan to enter this business, then you can easily start a stationery shop even with a low investment.
In this article, we have discussed topics related to the stationery business in India including investment, profit margin, licenses and registrations, etc.
In this Post
Stationery shop business plan
- Choosing a good location is very pivotal in the stationery business. You must pick a location that is close to schools or colleges.
- Also, the location surrounded by offices might work, but you cannot expect much from this. Because companies provide stationery items to their employees.
- The minimum shop space required to start a small stationery shop is 100-200 square feet. For a medium to large scale shop, you may require 500 to 800 square feet of shop space.
- Having enough space in your shop always gives you the luxury of adding new product categories in the future
- To run a medium to large scale shop, may require 2-3 employees to assist you in managing the business.
- If you have enough space, it is useful to include xerox machines and color printing machines in your stationery shop. This would generate extra revenue.
- Selling the latest trending items always gives a good margin. The best way to get these items is by visiting the local wholesale market in your region ( like sadar bazaar in Delhi).
- It would be beneficial if you also include other items like toys and gifts in your shop. This will help you in the off-season (when schools & colleges are closed). You can generate some income by selling these items in the offseason.
- Sell items with a low margin in the beginning and add the latest trending items in your shop, then definitely you will get enough customers in a few months by word of mouth.
What are the licences and Registrations required?
You do not require any special licenses to start a stationery business in India. Shop & Establishment Registration and Business Registration (sole proprietorship) are enough.
If you have basic documents like an Aadhar card, PAN Card, Bank Account & Shop rental agreement, then you could easily get these Registrations. You can take help from any CA or legal agencies to get these documents.
GST Certificate is not necessary if you are planning a small to medium scale stationery shop. As per government norms, for the supply of goods kind of business, the yearly turnover limit has been set to 40 lakh.
So if your turnover is below 40 lakhs, then you do not require GST certificate.
Stationery Business Cost
The investment required to start a stationery business depends upon factors like whether you are planning a small shop or a larger one, you own the shop or the rented one, initial material purchase, kind of items you sell.
To start a small stationery shop, 2-3 lakhs investment is enough.
- Racks/ shop interior, furniture & signage board 1 to 1.5 lakhs
- Initial material purchase – 1 to 1.5 lakhs
- Shop security deposit would be extra ( if you do not own the shop)
To start a medium to large scale shop, you need to invest upto 6 to 8 lakhs rupees.
- Racks/ shop interior, furniture & signage board 1.5 to 2 lakhs
- Initial material purchase – 2 to 2.5 lakhs
- Any machinery/equipment like xerox machine – 1 lakh to 1.5 lakh
- Computer system and printers – 50k to 1 lakh
- Miscellaneous 20,000 rupees.
- Printing Shop Business | Complete Details
Profit Margin in Stationery Business
Since you will be selling different types of items from different brands, it would be difficult to accurately mention the profit margin in this business.
However, you can expect up to a 20% margin in branded products. Note that, as you are running a single shop & also your purchase volume is less, you cannot expect any special schemes or bonuses from the company.
From the non-branded items, you can expect a profit margin of up to 25%.
Always keep an eye on the current trends. From trending items, you might get up to a 50% margin, if that item is not available in other stationery shops in your region.
Y ou may also Like:
- How to start Xerox Shop Business | Complete Details
- How to get WOW! Momo Franchise
Ok, this is about starting a new stationery business in India. I hope this guide will help you get started. If you have any additional suggestions, feel free to mention them in the comments section below. If you like this article then kindly share it with your friends.
Comments are closed.
A Complete Guide For Stationery Business Plan In India
Stationery business does not end at pens and notebooks, the wide variety of products will shock you. Also, the fact that a stationery shop has increased demand in spite of evolution in the digital industry.
The major contributors in this industry is introduction of new products such as magic colour pens, all in one pens, cardboard sheets and much more.
The never-ending products call for a decision to identify which variety of products you want to sell. But before moving on to making a decision, you must acquire basic understanding of a stationery shop set up.
Learn from the guide
Market understanding .
Stationery shop will provide with abundant opportunities. You will need to understand the market by exploring all the market niches.
We have listed all those market niches for you.
Students are great market. You require product variety that suits the need of the students. In accordance with this market, you will require to understand the market demand of the products.
Corporate businesses have a lot of paper work that will call for different kind of products in offices. Some examples are paper pressers, high quality pens and notepads. Office will require different type of products.
Stationery products are also used in hospitals by way of paper for medicines and reports. You need to keep these products for continuous supply as these are required highly.
Most of the NGOs work for children to provide them basic stationery. This call for great use of stationery shops. It is a profitable market as products are ordered in bulk.
If you have books accompanied with stationery products then it is most recommended to work for a library’s need. It is also profitable if you provide them books that are cheap.
Most of the government institutions require abundant amount of stationery products. You can target this market specifically to enjoy high profits.
Basically traditional stationery business have only one option to start a shop. But now a days you have other methods to earn money by a stationery business.
Here is a list available options to explore.
You can start an online store, it will attract large number of customers. As customers are demanding products online. Also, you will have to give proper delivery service if you go for online option.
Home based business
You can even start home-based stationery business, it is easy and convenient form of earning money. You can start selling at your locality and then expand it by increasing your product variety.
Stationery stores are the traditional way of earning money. Due to high demand and large customer market it is earning profits till now. You can too become successful, if you are focusing in particular market.
Various kinds of products are offered in a stationery shop. After understanding the market, it is mandatory that you start identifying which kind of products you will offer.
We have listed out all kinds of products for you.
Art material form a huge variety of products that are required continuously. You need to provide every new thing available in the market to cope up with the demand. Art supplies mostly get new products in every season.
School raw material
Stationery raw material used in schools are widely demanded. You can provide school supplies and cover the demand. It will give you good profits.
Craft supplies are different from art supplies. You must know these differences to target potential customers.
Some stationery shops provide specialty supplies such as computer inks, pen stores, and many more. You can become one if you find customers in your area.
General stationery shops are a mix of all kinds of supplies that is mostly found in the market. If you are focusing on a general supply store then you should make sure to have appropriate quantity of products.
Starting a business requires a legal requirements to be fulfilled prior to start trading goods. Here is a list that you can go through or directly apply online.
You will need to pay taxes on goods that you are selling. To pay those taxes gst registration is must.
Shop and establishment act
A shop requires to be registered from shop and establishment act. This act is specifically for store owners.
Trade license will give you permit to start trading your products through a store.
If your shop is leased then rent agreement is required. It will be also required to register tour business.
If you are starting an online store then you need to purchase domain for your website. Buy one from here .
The location of your business creates a major impact on the sales. You need to consider various factors while deciding a location Consider these factors:
You must have enough space for parking so that your customers can buy conveniently from your place.
Your location should be visible to the customers because most of the shops are forgotten by customers due to their position.
Are you reachable to your customers? If not then you must change your location. It may be possible that you are the only shop in your area but if customers are living far away then it is not fruitful for your business.
Sourcing of Inventory
Your raw material will differentiate your services from your competitors. Hence it is mandatory to choose suppliers carefully.
Consider these points while choosing them.
Cost of raw material.
Whether your supplier is providing you inventory at best price? This question should be answered before choosing a supplier. Compare prices from various suppliers to choose one.
Quality of products
Don’t compromise the quality of products for the low prices. If your products are not providing quality then customers will shift to other competitors.
Your supplier must be able to provide products even when at the time of shortage. If not then you must have a supplier for emergency situations.
Does your supplier provide products in bulk? If not then may be you need to find someone else. Bulk orders saves on cost so business prefer on these orders.
Before starting a business, it is really beneficial to start its marketing. You get an edge from the competitors as customers get attracted through marketing.
Here are some strategies
Host an event.
You can host an event that showcases the variety of products that you offer. Also you can organize stalls in the various events happening in your city. It helps to create presence of your business.
You can collaborate with various government organisations or NGOs that usually orders in bulk. That way you can enjoy high profits.
We hope that you found this article helpful. Stationery shops are increasing their demand by introducing new things in the market.
If you are coping up with the demand and seriously focused on the quality of the products then customers will be naturally attracted.
Here is a TIP# Get to know your customers and ask them for feedback to improve your services.
Have any queries? Don’t wait, Comment Below.
Leave a comment cancel reply.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Business Performance Improvement
- Legal Compliances
- Professional Services
- Proposal Creation & Funding
- Research & Policy advocacy
- Yashaswi Udyojak
How To Create A Stationery Business Plan?
A Stationery business is an evergreen business that finds an audience in all age groups, ranging from toddlers and school kids to elderly citizens. The demand for the stationery items might change according to the age group but there are takers for stationery items across all generations. And the current times of social distancing has generated an even greater demand for stationery items as individuals tap into their artistic and creative sides by exploring their hobbies. Also, since children cannot go outdoors and socialize much, they need to be engaged with crafts and art activities, which too, require stationery items. A stationery items business is thus a great business idea for enthusiastic and interested entrepreneurs.
Many however consider a stationery business to be one that deals with different types of paper and paper products and invitations such as personalized invites, envelopes, cards, letterheads, etc. But a stationery business includes a number of items that need to be stocked, where along with different types of paper such as chart paper, A4 sized printing paper, varying GSM paper, other items include pencils, pens, erasers, sharpeners, paint brushes, crayons, paints, oil pastels, and varying types of colours and craft materials needed for creative and artistic pursuits.
The stationery business has a great scope for development and can be started easily by keeping certain points in mind.
The starting point, however, for this business is to create a stationery business plan . This business plan is necessary in order to have a written goal where the detailed description of the business is outlined. The business plan also includes ways and methods to be employed by the business to achieve the goals along with the time frame and the investment required for the achievement of the goals.
The business plan must be designed such that it answers several questions arising at each step of the business, such as-
- What will be the startup and ongoing costs for the business?
- Who is the target market for the business?
- How long will it take for the entrepreneur to break even?
And several other questions pertinent to the business must be considered and addressed in the business plan for stationery company .
Stationery Business Plan
What is a business plan.
A business plan is defined as a written document that describes in detail how a business, usually a new one, is going to achieve its goals. The business plan lays out a written plan from a marketing, financial and operational viewpoint elaborating it’s business mission and vision in detail along with steps to achieve them.
Importance Of Business Plan
A business plan acts as a strategic tool for any and every business. A good business plan helps entrepreneurs to focus on the specific steps necessary to make the business ideas succeed, but it also helps the business to achieve both its short-term and long-term objectives. This is the chief reason why a business plan is important and the first step for any new business. Other points highlighting the importance of a business plan include-
- Business planning helps to set up a structured business and saves time and resources in the long run.
- A business plan is the first step to secure funding as it addresses all concerns of funding institutions.
- The projections in a business plan give the entrepreneur a good understanding of how the business will operate in the future.
- A business plan helps validate the assumptions made by an entrepreneur while planning the business and determines if there is a need for the said product or service.
Contents Of A Business Plan
- The summary of a business plan includes a description of the exact business in brief. The executive summary of the stationery business is a one page overview that includes the mission of the business, along with the basic details of the business such as entrepreneur/s who started the business, when and where they plan to start it, what type of business will it be, the description of the stationery items and how the entrepreneur plans for the business to grow.
Description And Overview
- This is a detailed description of the business. It elaborates on what the business type will be, what the business will deal in- whether it will be a retail store or a wholesale outlet or a business solely supplying to offices and organizations. Other details included in the description and overview of the stationery business include the audience the business will target, how it will stand out from the competition, the location and details of the store, the business entity etc.
- The mission and vision of the business also needs to be included in the business description.
- The market analysis of the business plan dives deeper into the research regarding the business. The market analysis of the stationery business plan includes details regarding the identification of the target market for the business- the demographics of the target audience, their specific needs, historical records, analysis and purchasing trends, size of the market, the forecasted growth rates, and similar details. The identification and analysis of these factors will help the stationery business determine what market to capture, how and in what way.
- After the market analysis, the next essential in a business plan includes the competitive analysis. Once the entrepreneur carries out and maintains a record of the market for the stationery business, the next step is to determine what the competition is like and how to survive against them. This includes carrying out an analysis to determine what the strengths and weaknesses of the entrepreneur and the business are and how they can be worked on. It also includes an analysis of what the business wishes to achieve, and by using which marketing techniques, what hurdles the business will face and how can they be overcome. Further it also includes analysing how the stationery business can make use of the opportunities to make a name in the market, against the competition and attract more customers. An example of how this could be achieved is by keeping unique stationery supplies like craft materials, niche products like handmade paper products or variety of colours, papers and supplies used by artists, etc. All these when mentioned in a written format within the business plan, can help the business with a clear action plan for the future.
Management & Operations
- the type of business entity the organisation will conform to- proprietorship, partnership, or LLP
- The information regarding the ownership of the business, the number of employees hired
- The information regarding the role of each of the employee hired- management roles, staff at the store, marketing heads, maintenance personnel, accountant, etc.
Marketing and Sales
- The next part of the business plan includes the marketing and sales details. Here the owners can explain their marketing and sales strategies to locate customers and create a loyal following. The stationery business can elaborate on how they can cater to the customers through the retail shop and techniques used to advertise the business via print ads and flyers.
- Further in this digital age, the business can elaborate on how they can reach out to customers via a website and provide delivery options too (which are much sought after in the social-distancing times). Along with an online shop the stationery business plan can even include having a digital presence on various social media platforms, thus reaching out to a wider customer base.
- Procuring commercial space for the shop
- Procuring all the inventory – art supplies, stationery items, craft material, etc.
- Furnishing the shop such as having display racks, shelves, storage space, cash counter, etc. and its daily maintenance too- lighting, air conditioning, and its servicing etc
- Arranging the salaries of the employees
- Arranging for registration fees for the registrations required for the business- Shop Act, business entity registration, GST, etc
- Along with the details of the financial requirements of the business, the business plan must also include details of how these requirements will be fulfilled- via bank loans or loans via non-banking financial companies or through borrowings from friends and family or via personal savings.
These are the important contents to be included in any business plan, including the stationery business plan . For ensuring that all the essential factors are included, entrepreneurs can always download the business plan checklist to be certain.
Important Factors To Consider In The Stationery Business Plan
Apart from the above mentioned content that needs to be included in the business plan for the stationery company or enterprise, there are certain additional factors which must be considered and mentioned in the business plan.
These include the-
- The location of the stationery shop or wholesale warehouse must be provided. Along with that the dimensions and other details of the space must be mentioned. The factors contemplated when zeroing in on the location must also be mentioned, such as why the particular locality, the neighbouring competition, the ease of access, the proximity to target audience, etc.
- Shop Act for the stationery shop
- Business entity registration- whether proprietorship, partnership, one person company or limited liability partnership
- GST registration for ease of taxation
- Other legal registrations necessary for the business
The stationery business will definitely benefit from the business plan. Business planning is an essential step for every business. It helps create a roadmap with detailed instructions which the business needs to follow for fulfilling its goals. The feasibility and viability of the business can also be gauged by availing business planning services that helps create a business plan. The business plan also helps while applying for loans for the stationery business.
Therefore, for any assistance in creating a stationery business plan , entrepreneurs can take the assistance of experienced experts such as those at deAsra Foundation, therefore ensuring the right start to their flourishing stationery business.
Dr. Anand Deshpande’s Press Meet in Pune
For the last 10 years, deAsra Foundation has been working to create new employment opportunities by creating new entrepreneurs and strengthening businesses. The Government or any organization canno...
Importance of Sales Automation
Through Business Automation Strategy & Techniques, Business Owners Leverage the Power of Systems & have Massive Growth in their Business. They can Increase & Generate More Leads & Man...
Business Growth & Technology Consulting
A leading retail services company with a pan-India presence was looking for technology upgrades, scalability, and mapping to the business growth plans of the organization. They did/do have a team, inf...
Career as a Beautician
A beauty career is one career where you can flourish. All the study of this career is related to body anatomy and physiology because we do a treatment that is related to skin, hair, Makeup, and nail o...
July 2022 Newsletter
Greetings from deAsra Foundation! deAsra Foundation has been nurturing entrepreneurship for over 6 years and has shaped the lives of 1 Lac+ entrepreneur. In order to positively impact the entrepr...
Step 1 of 2
All fields marked* are mandatory
To continue reading further, please provide us the below details
- Name * First Last
- Country Code *
- Facilitator Email
- External Handholder Email
- Selected Service
- EHH Engaged Consent Stay Engaged with EHH only
- LS Response
- Business Rule
- Response Message
- UTM Campaign
wrong OTP try again!!
Create your online store today
Get started with a user-friendly platform for free, that makes online selling easy. Manage your business from one central location and reach more customers.
How To Start A Stationery Business in India (Simple Guide to Kickstart)
Considering starting a stationery company but unsure where to begin or what it takes to succeed? A step-by-step guide of How to start a Stationery Business in India can be found here.
Stationery includes both paper-based and non-paper-based goods such as pens, pencils, and art tools that are used to accompany the writing. Folders, pen stands, ornamental things like streamers, and laptop consumables have all been added to the mix throughout the years.
The rising quality of education in India (both elementary and secondary) is opening up new chances in the stationery industry. In India, the expansion of e-commerce is also driving up demand.
Every year, almost 20 crore school kids in India demand a variety of stationery supplies. The government's emphasis on education will result in an annual increase in the number of school-aged youngsters.
As per Grand View Research , In 2018, the worldwide stationery goods market was worth USD 90.6 billion, and it is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 5.1 per cent over the next five years.
Growing literacy rates throughout the world and a rising number of young people interested in higher education are two major drivers of industry expansion. The Indian stationery industry is estimated to be worth INR 12000 crores each year, according to Statista (a company that specialises in market and consumer statistics). For the next five years, the industry is predicted to increase at a rate of more than 10% per year in terms of value.
Before it reaches the client, the stationery industry in India normally uses a three-step distribution process - producer to wholesaler, wholesaler to retailer, and retailer to customer. Establishing a stationery product business is a viable choice, but, like any other sector, it comes with its own set of hazards.
Depending on your area, you may be able to start a business with as little as INR 10 lakhs. Before launching a stationery business, a thorough examination and analysis of a few key procedures would be quite beneficial.
If you want to start your business smart and easy, Fynd Platform is the solution for you! Set up your online store in less than 5 mins, and reach out to your customers right away.
The prices at Fynd Platform have been kept minimal keeping your best convenience in mind, and your customer service is always available for you. So what are you waiting for - visit https://platform.fynd.com/ and start selling today itself!
Why Opt For The Stationery Business?
According to The Indian Retailer report , the stationery sector in India has valued at Rs 4,000 crore and includes a wide range of items and categories.
We all undoubtedly remembered that one kind uncle who used to sell pens, notebooks, and books immediately beside our school while we were at school. Perhaps you recall his welcoming grin, the scent of fresh books heaped in his store, or the candy he used to offer you each time you visited. Those little shards of recollections now softly remind you of a happier and simpler point in your life.
However, if you look at it from the standpoint of a businessman, such stores were highly successful even back then. They catered to school officials as well as hundreds of pupils regularly.
Because most children go to school at the very same institution for five to ten years, those businesses were able to maintain their clients for a long period. In other terms, the estimated average value of a client was rather high.
What is more, guess what? In 2021, the stationery business will be even more profitable. The Indian stationery business is predicted to develop at a pace of 10.5 per cent CGAR by 2024, thanks to rising literacy rates and increasing internet in rural regions.
Furthermore, new business models such as internet storefronts, e-commerce platforms, and retail chains have emerged. If brick-and-mortar stores are not your thing, this might be your big thing!
Overall, it is an excellent moment to get your feet wet in the stationery industry. Do you want to learn how to build a stationery business from the ground up? Continue reading.
What Is the Demand For Stationery?
You have a rudimentary understanding of what stationery goods are if you are planning on starting a stationery company. A stationery piece is something which is used for writing or printing.
As per the Grandviewresearch report , in 2018, the worldwide stationery goods market was worth USD 90.6 billion, and it is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 5.1 per cent over the next five years.
Stationery products may be split into two groups based on the material and intended use - Diary, notebooks, exercise books, textbooks, envelopes, and other paper-based items. Brushes, pens, oil colour tubes, staplers, and any other stationery item that is not made of paper are non-paper based.
You may also categorise stationery items according to their setting - Pens, markers, white sheets, staplers, and other office supplies. Office stationery is everything you would find in a workplace or a classroom. Greeting cards, personalised pens, and thank you letters are all examples of personalised and customized stationery.
It is critical to understand your things if you want to succeed. Why? Because the sorts of things you wish to sell will affect your company strategy and execution. A stationery store selling personalised greeting cards, for example, should operate, promote, and operate differently than a reseller.
Customer Requirements & Business Enhancements
Properties such as better quality paper, moderate structures, a more extravagant and extensive range of colours in paints and pastels, ecologically friendly material, and so on are gradually gaining popularity as purchasers advance and premium items are created to meet their needs.
Looking for a cash incentive and dissatisfied with modest neighbourhood brands, the Indian client is gradually moving from inexpensive to high-quality items with which he or she may interact.
Good brand awareness in this low-association classification was previously an obstacle because both the client and the retailer were ignorant. However, the business is rapidly progressing because of the use of showcasing instruments, many of which are computerised. Today, the industry is on the lookout for new talent.
What Are The Drivers Of Sales In The Indian Stationery Business?
- Economic Growth is one of the main drivers of growth in the stationary market.
- Higher literacy rates.
- Demographic Changes
- Young Adults Make Up A Larger Part Of The Population
- Better Living Conditions
- Regulations and taxes imposed by the government
- A Shift in Focus From Low-Cost to High-Cost Products
The Indian Stationery Market: Facts and Figures
- Size of the Indian Stationery Market: Rs 9000 Crore
- Notepad (Paper) 3000 crore rupees market size
- In India, the pencil market is worth Rs 400 crore.
The Profit Margin With Stationery Business
On paper, a stationery business appears to be a winner: you have steady demand from workplaces and educational institutions, a high client lifetime value, and the ability to operate in a variety of ways (e-commerce platforms).
But, in terms of revenue, what can the data say? Stationery enterprises, on the other hand, have a modest profit margin on average.
An increase in consumption and a longer CLV, on the other hand, compensate for this. Businesses that use a wholesale business strategy might expect a profit margin of 5% to 8%.
It may come out as lacklustre. However, due to the large volume and repeat orders, the little margin quickly adds up. Expect a 20 per cent profit on branded items if you run a small business. However, in this instance, order volume would be substantially smaller than that of wholesalers.
Case Studies Of Indian Stationary Businesses That Made It Big
Stationary began as a test initiative in Noida in 2017 when creators Humrahi Jain and Smita Singh realised how unorganised the stationery, books, and gifts industry was. Their firm hopes to alter that by promoting, displaying, and selling goods utilising trucks.
The Stationary vehicles are placed near a school every week and in apartment complexes once every 10 to 15 days, according to a schedule. Before this, Humrahi worked in the marketing and product departments of numerous firms, such as the India Today Group, Radio Mirchi, as well as the Times Group. Smita Singh, his co-founder, is a licensed attorney and a caseworker who combines marketing and legal knowledge in her work.
myPAPERCLIP, which was founded in October 2013, makes journals, notepads, diaries, memo books, and personalised notebooks out of eco-friendly, handmade paper. The stationery firm, which was initially bootstrapped, sold 100,000 items for Rs 2 crore in less than a year. Sapna Book House, Om Book Shop, William Penn, Crossword, and StarMark are just a few of the retailers that sell myPAPERCLIP items.
Stationary Business Strengths Analysis:
- Huge Market Size
- Group's Technical Expertise
- The stationary market that has not been touched
- There is only a single large firm that meets all of the needs of the stationary market
- In the field of education, the stationary business is a well-known name.
- Positioning the product will take some time.
- The creation of a distribution channel
- Consider Office Stationery and Office Furniture.
- Diversify into a stationery business that caters to both the luxury and mass markets.
- Low-cost Chinese products pose a threat.
- A poor power supply is an example of an infrastructure problem.
Future Of Stationery Business
During the period 2018 - 24, India's stationery market is expected to increase at a CAGR of 10.5 per cent. Due to the rising enrollment of children in schools and colleges in India, the education sector generates the most demand for stationery items.
Also, the nation's booming e-commerce industry is supporting pushing up stationery purchases. Due to increased demand for stationery items in the service sector, the business sector is the second-biggest buyer of merchandise and is expected to rise at a strong rate throughout the projected period.
The Divisions of Stationery Items
There are two major groups -
- Paper-based products - Notepads, exercise books, writing sheets, and cards are all examples of paper (greetings, weddings, and business).
- Non-paper Products - Pens, pencils, art supplies (colours, crayons, markers, and more), office stationery (folders, staplers, scratch pads), decorative goods (masks, balloons, streamers), computer consumables (ink-cartridges, toner, and more), adhesives, and technical instrument stationery
What Are The Different Options for a Stationery Company?
- A store that sells things (selling to customers)
- Supplies at wholesale prices (to retail stores, office, and school supplies)
- Store on the internet (direct to customers per order placed)
- Part-time or home-based (mainly selling items on personal contact)
The Importance Of Choosing The Right Location For Your Business
Your retail business's location may make or ruin it. The kind of your firm, whether it is retail or wholesale goods, will play a big role in determining where to go. Clear client access, strong store frontage, and proximity to a marketplace are all elements to consider when choosing a retail shop location, as is the provision for suitable product storage. A wholesale or online firm can operate out of modest office space (even your home), but stocks should be stored in a separate warehouse (in the case of wholesale).
The Importance Of Marketing Your Stationery Business
People believe that your marketing is as excellent as your business. Customer service is an important part of the stationery item industry.
- Regular client interaction and increased marketing activities will be required in wholesale.
- Displays, product range, and customer service all have an influence on sales in a retail store.
- Using social media and local advertising to promote your store will help you attract new clients.
- To start an online business, you will need to build the appropriate digital structures, such as a website and a payment connection.
Stationery Business Plan In Steps
Let us walk through the processes of beginning a stationery company.
Step 1: Determine the kind of your company
You will find yourself at a fork in the road before you start your business. You have complete control over your company's path. When it comes to a stationery business, you have two choices -
1. Retailer of goods
This sort of business is all about reselling things manufactured by other businesses. The entire business model is as follows: you buy a huge quantity of merchandise at a wholesale price, put up an online or offline store, and then resale it at a retail price. This business model is used by stationery businesses that offer office supplies or textbooks.
2. Seller of customised products
Choose a bespoke product seller model if you wish to showcase your creative side while still running a successful business. You want to purchase resources from vendors, use your imagination to create unique goods, and sell them online or offline.
Consider a website that offers adorable greeting cards or a company that sells personalised diaries and pencils. By their very nature, customised items are a niche market.
To be successful, you will need to build a niche first. A personalised stationery business, on the other hand, might be more successful than selling products provided you locate the proper consumers.
To cut a long tale short, each business practices have its own set of advantages and disadvantages. It is you who needs to recognize what will be the best option for your business. Think about your contacts and resources.
Step 2: Figure out who your ideal consumer is
Wait. Is it not possible to just build an online & offline business and sell to anyone? The response is no if you want to develop a profitable, scalable, and long-term firm. You must identify your ideal consumers and take steps to attract them.
If you want to conduct business with school districts, for example, you should be prepared to handle regular bulk purchases. For a business that caters to CBSE students, however, both choosing a location near a school and keeping a stock of CBSE publications are critical.
Consider the following factors while looking for your ideal customer:
- Competition Demands you can satisfy based on your products and inventory capacity.
- The placement of your brand
- Budget for marketing
- Contacts for business
- Various client categories have different pain points and preferences.
Step 3: Create a Business Strategy
Any type of business requires a business strategy. It gives you more insight into every part of your organisation.
The subsequent objects should be contained in your business strategy -
- Do you have any intentions to expand your firm into a large online stationery store? Or do you have stores throughout the country? In your company strategy, write out your objectives.
- Mention distinct categories of the clients you intend to serve in your audience. Pay extra attention to your most loyal consumers.
- Your operation's specifics: How do you intend to operate your company? Make a list.
- Suppliers: You need dependable suppliers no matter what sort of stationery business you run. They are critical to your firm and should be included in your business strategy.
- What marketing plan do you have in place? What is the medium to reach out to your target audience? You also need to recognize the size of your marketing budget.
- Team: If you are running an online store or trying to scale your firm, you will need a few more hands. Make a thorough list of the positions you wish to fill.
Step 4: Calculate your expenses
The Indian stationery sector is made up of thousands of disorganised small businesses and small producers. One of the main reasons for this composition's uniqueness is the low setup cost.
A modest stationery store will require an investment of 2 to 3 lakhs INR. This figure would be in the range of 6 to 8 lakhs for medium and big retailers. An online business with a reasonable amount of merchandise would fall somewhere in the middle.
Having stated that, the price of your company is subjective. It relies on your objectives, setup, and sort of business, among other factors. As a result, take those figures with a dose of scepticism.
Use a spreadsheet to assess the costs for your firm and jot down the following charges:
- The price of procuring raw materials or even the cost of production
- Excess costs & shipping costs
- Wages in the advertising budget (If you are looking for someone to hire)
- Obtaining a Rental (only if you get a physical store)
- Fees for legal representation
- Costs of operations
Step 5: Locate a vendor
Consider the following scenario: you have a large order to deliver, and your vendor has unexpectedly delayed the shipping. Now you do not know when you will be able to deliver, and the client is threatening to cancel the order.
Is it not enough to make you nervous? That is why experienced and dependable suppliers are your most important friends.
To find them and form an alliance with them, you must:
- Recognize your needs: Someone else's provider may be ideal for them, but not really for you. Start by knowing your requirements to discover the correct provider. Ask yourself what are the factors matter the most to you? Reasonable prices? Do you have a large inventory? Is this a trustworthy vendor? What are the goods you are looking for?
You will know what to search for once you have gotten your answers.
- Know how to search: Networking and recommendations are the most typical ways to locate vendors. Inquire among your colleagues or at your business office.
B2B listing services such as India marketplace and Getbristributors also keep track of suppliers. Ali Baba is also a good alternative if you are seeking overseas vendors.
Steps To Choosing the Right Vendors -
- A dependable supply base is required for both retail and wholesale stationery businesses.
- Apart from product quality, competitive business conditions (such as finance) are important considerations when selecting suppliers.
- Compare the information of numerous vendors to discover the one that best suits your needs.
- If the chosen provider fails to deliver, a backup source should be established.
- Supplier information may be found through market research, trade manuals, and internet sites.
Step 6: Obtain your permits
To lawfully operate your stationery company in India, you will need to secure a few permits, just like any other firm. Begin by forming your company as a single proprietorship or limited liability company (LLC).
Consider forming an LLC rather than a private corporation if your estimated yearly revenue exceeds $20,000. Once your firm is registered as an LLC, it becomes a separate organization in the eyes of the government.
Transferring property will become a lot simpler in this instance, and you have minimal liability. However, before making a final choice, contact your attorney. The Shop & Establishment Act licence is the next licence you should apply for. It is a government certification that takes 30 days to arrive. However, you must renew it every year.
If your yearly revenue exceeds $20,000, you must register for GST. However, regardless of the amount of revenue, if you do have an internet-based site (which you should), you must register for GST.
Other permits, such as Import Export Codes, Gumastha Licenses, and Udyog Adhaar Registration, may be required depending on your company strategy.
Step 7: Pay close attention to how your products are delivered
Following the epidemic, an increasing number of people want their goods delivered to their homes. This is true even in small towns and rural places. It is no surprise that, despite a disastrous year in 2018, Flipkart generated about 1.5X its 2018 sales in 2020. This tendency is only expected to accelerate in the future years.
As a result, if you do not have a good delivery plan, you will lose a lot of money. Begin by determining the region you wish to cover. Your distribution procedure should ideally be scalable, as you would want to gradually cover new locations as your company expands. There are just a few strategies to guarantee delivery on time.
You have the option of hiring your delivery crew. Simply place some ads in local newspapers and employment sites, and you will have a delivery crew in no time. It is best to use locals because they are more familiar with the area. If you are on a limited budget, look for reputable delivery services in your neighbourhood. For transporting your shipments, they normally charge a reasonable cost.
Step 8: Promote your company
Marketing that is done offline
For stationery firms, a combination of online and physical marketing is ideal. When it comes to conducting business with workplaces and educational institutions, the stationery sector in India still relies on referrals.
Knowing the proper individuals might help you land big business transactions quickly and easily. Begin networking by attending local business meetings. If you can, consider joining a business association.
It will assist you in obtaining recommendations, establishing a reputation, and increasing your exposure. It is also easier to acquire recurring large orders if you have established a strong reputation. So make a customer-centric strategy a part of your company's DNA.
It is no longer a choice to have an internet presence, especially with Covid 19. Customers want to shop online and learn more about your company's values.
Paper Source is a website that sells stationery items, school and office supplies, and more. Their innovative website sees Monthly traffic of 490K Visit their official website for more information.
Navneet is an excellent example of a stationery company that gives back to society while also establishing a positive image. Keep in your mind that your company’s website is going to form the base of your online presence.
You will need that to show off your wares. Furthermore, without a website, it is impossible to fully utilise the possibilities of internet marketing (SMM, content marketing, and PPC).
It is not necessary to have a flashy website. However, make sure your items are well-photographed, have accurate product descriptions, brand information, and, most importantly, secure payment mechanisms.
With Fynd Platform, creating a successful website is a breeze. In 30 minutes, you may have a webpage with all of the required features, such as safe payment channels, e-commerce settings, and QR codes. And the greatest part is that you are doing it all by yourself, regardless if you have no prior technical experience.
Marketing on social media
You are undoubtedly well aware of the significance of being active on social media. Your clients have already arrived. It is a no-brainer to have active Facebook and Instagram profiles.
If all other factors were equal, people would choose a brand having character. As a result, strive to inject some individuality into your writing. How do you go about doing that? Instead of showing off your stuff, encourage your audience to be creative.
Demonstrate how your things may assist kids in drawing, painting, and having a good time. From Paper Chase is an excellent model to emulate. It is all about them on social media.
Furthermore, even under Instagram norms, digital marketing for stationery companies is aesthetically dominated. As a result, you will want clear and appealing images. There are no shortcuts here.
Thankfully, professional photographers are not always required. However, a good camera and some understanding of picture aesthetics are required. Influencer marketing is equally effective for stationery companies. Look for art personalities who are well-known within your target audience. Make a list of influential people and contact them.
By adding some variations to your influencer content, you may improve it. For example, given the popularity of cross collaborations, you might ask several influencers to participate and produce something unique.
Marketing with content
Among the most effective marketing methods is content marketing. Once you have created a content resource, it will pay off for years to come. The best aspect is that the initial investment is not very big. To begin, simply post on your blog regularly.
All you need is a good writer, some photographs, a little understanding of SEO, and a mind full of ideas. Content marketing is taken extremely seriously by successful stationery firms. They produce how-tos, manuals, and art lessons.
Google Adwords is a fantastic way to get targeted visitors to your website. If you are unfamiliar with Adwords results, they are the search results that begin with the term "ad."
The fundamental premise is that when someone searches for the terms you specified, they will see your ad. Before beginning any Adwords campaign, establish a list of high-intent, high-quality keywords. You should also construct landing pages to convert inbound visitors.
Create your App
Your webpage can not fill all the holes in your consumers' experience, but a customised mobile app can. A mobile application can:
- Provides individualised content as well as a customised purchasing experience.
- They are must faster even if compared to a well-optimized webpage.
- It acts as an effective expansion of your company's brand.
- Sends push notifications to customers to notify them of fresh updates or offers.
- Serves as a platform for content marketing.
- Users are kept interested. You may deliver material, offers, and updates to a user once they download it. These "follow-ups" remind the consumer of your brand regularly.
What Is The Best Way To Sell On The Fynd Platform?
The procedure of selling on the Fynd platform has been made as simple as possible for your convenience, so you may start selling right away, even if you have no prior experience with website development! You may entrust us with the task of developing a user-friendly and SEO-optimized online store for you!
Fynd Platform helps small businesses become digital and sell their products using existing channels like Whatsapp. The Fynd platform can be beneficial, particularly if you are not very tech-savvy.
Following the instructions below, you may easily build an internet website:
Step 1: Log in to your Fynd Platform account. If you do not not have an account, you can easily create one. Simply go to https://platform.fynd.com/ and register in less than a minute.
Step 2: Next to the Sales Channel selection, look for a "+" icon. Then choose New Application from the Online Store.
Step 3: A window will open, asking you to fill out your details, choose what you want to post on your website, and then click Next.
Step 4: Now look for your website's domain name. From the list of choices, pick your domain name. That will be your store's internet address.
Step 5: Next, go to the Products category and choose "Digital" as the Type. Then choose the relevant Department before entering the Course Name. Insert the course's Item Name afterwards.
Step 6: Add some photographs or media to make it more appealing, and then write a brief explanation of your product. After that, hit the Save button. Make sure you've included enough of images and written a simple explanation.
Repeat Steps 5 and 6 if you have a range of things to sell. After the operation is completed, just share the URL of the online store with consumers using WhatsApp.
What factors contribute to the success of a stationery business?
A few factors influence the effectiveness of your stationery company:
There are plenty of stationery shops to choose from. Only those who stand out succeed. client-centric strategy (one that prioritises customer pleasure) is a terrific way to distinguish apart. If you own a store, be kind and helpful. Make your site user-friendly, and most essential, reply to every client inquiry.
Attempts at marketing
Marketing is crucial for any firm, regardless of its size. Employ social media to communicate with consumers and market your brand, for starters. Your blog postings should add value. Engage in SMM and Adwords once you have a reasonable budget.
This basic law of marketing also applies to the stationery industry - You can not out market a lousy product. Make certain that anything you are offering fits the customer's expectations. This is especially true for customised things. Know the client's requirements before finalising your order, and then perform your finest job.
Things you must keep in mind while starting a wholesale stationery business
These are the general requirements for effectively "going wholesale" -
1. You must have a great signature style.
It helps to have created a signature look that sets your business apart from all other exhibits that are displaying current trends or are a carbon duplicate of somebody who is selling their goods well. This will never be a craze if you create products based on your style.
2. You must have a huge collection
You must have a comprehensive line of paper and/or gifts, as well as the ability to commit to many new product releases every year. Your whole collection should include at least 48 items, with 12 to 24 pieces in each product category.
You must provide your customers with a variety of options. The customers require alternatives! They are also more likely to place a larger purchase and take you more seriously as a wholesaler if they have more options.
Whether you utilise a sales professional or not, you must continue to release new products throughout the year. There is not exactly an industry norm, but typically people release their major collection around May and then a second and third collection later in the year. Make decisions based on what works best for you. Then be prepared to discuss those releases with your merchants in a unique way.
3. You must be familiar with industry packaging and sizing requirements.
Knowing the minimums, numbers, definite shape and volume, and packaging is beneficial to your retailers. The more convenient you can make it for them, greater likely they will promote your product.
SKUs and labelling are a significant part of that, and they may be complicated. Just be wise and consider everything your merchant could need to sell your product effectively.
4. You must understand the sales process
Sales representatives are a great method to get your brand in front of merchants all across the nation, but they often require a stationer who was in the wholesale industry for several years before taking on your line. Ensure you have a marketing strategy in place for how you will find and market your goods throughout the year.
5. You must understand how to price your goods profitably
If you are just beginning out as a customized creator or selling directly to customers, probably, you are not pricing your items correctly for wholesale. To generate a profit, your mark-up must be accurate.
It is a strange price scale since you make less profit per item, but the order and print volumes are much larger. Retailers will mark up your goods to their Recommended Retail Price once you sell them to them at an industrial standard "keystone" markup. There are many more intricacies and price ideas that we have not covered here. This is perhaps the most significant disadvantage of going wholesale.
6. You should expect minimal or no sales in your first year
Retailers are wary of inexperienced wholesale stationers. Mostly because they understand how difficult it is. They want people and products they can count on, and you may even not be here next year.
The secret to wholesaling is to enjoy it. To make this portion of the sector of work for you, you must enjoy how it operates. If you show up, it may be beneficial and open up a plethora of doors and possibilities.
7. When you first start, you should make plans for the next three years in a row
Sales are strong your first year, and shops are wary of first-time exhibitors. You gain confidence in your second year, and stores begin to notice that you have returned. If your item has a distinct style and is well-received in stores (indicating you are getting reorders), the third year is when you will start to notice a change.
The Price of Starting Your Stationery Business
The amount of money required to launch a stationery business is determined by a variety of factors, including whether you want to open a small or large store, whether you own or rent the store, initial material purchases, and the kind of things you offer.
A modest stationery store may be started for as little as 2 - 3 lakhs.
- Furniture, notice board, and racks & shop interior 50,000 to 1.5 lakhs
- Purchase of initial materials – 1 to 1.5 lakhs
- A security deposit for the shop would be required (if you are not the owner of the shop)
- You will need to invest between 6 and 8 lakhs rupees to open a medium to large-scale store.
- Furniture, notice board, and racks or shop interior between 1.5 and 2 lakhs
- Purchase of initial materials – 2 to 2.5 lakhs
- 1 lakh to 1.5 lakhs for any apparatus or equipment, such as a xerox machine.
- 50k to 1 lakh for a computer system with a printer
- 20,000 rupees for miscellaneous.
- A security deposit for the shop would be required (if you do not own the shop)
How Yo Arrange Funding For Your Company
To begin with, most small businesses are self- or family-funded. But where can you get money if you need it?
- Small firms receive preferential financing from cooperative credit unions.
- NBFCs are non-banking financial companies (Non-Banking Finance Company).
- Crowdfunding is a relatively new method of raising funds from friends, partners, or even the entire public in return for shares in your company. It would be advantageous if you had a solid reputation and made a concerted attempt to raise money from the crowd.
- Angel investors, often known as venture capitalists, are individuals who invest in startups. A new type of financing for small firms that focuses on innovative goods or services. A strong business plan may entice venture investors to invest in the stationery item industry.
- Several financial technology firms Companies have developed digital financial platforms. They work with NBFCs to provide loans. They are a fantastic resource for small business owners.
Small enterprises are a priority for the Indian government, and several initiatives that provide funding under favourable conditions are accessible to them. Mudra Bank is an example of such a project.
Aside from that, small company owners can benefit from a variety of benefits such as tax exemptions and loan interest waivers. A word of caution: doing business wholesale will require more investment in inventory and distribution (personnel and logistics), as well as more working cash to pay company credits. Before starting your firm, you should carefully consider these factors, as well as the cost of materials (furnishings, computers, and delivery trucks).
In India, the stationery company is a lucrative alternative for individuals. It is easy to get started, you do not need a big crew (or any at all), and there is a lot of demand. Simply determine what sort of stationery company you want to start, find some suppliers, and build an online or offline store, and you are ready to begin. Maintain a customer-centric approach and treat marketing seriously to be profitable.
Is stationery a profitable business?
Yes, it is indeed likely that you will make a lot of money from the stationary business. Expect a 5 per cent to 8 per cent profit margin if you are in the wholesale sector. But do not be fooled by it. It is balanced out by high order size and regular orders. The margin for a reseller is 20 per cent or more, which is quite excellent. Constant demand is another element to consider. The market for stationery products (particularly paper-based and personalised things) is increasing even after the web explosion.
What are the steps to opening an online stationery company?
Get your permits, hire a reputable contractor, and create a website. Your website visitors may place orders, and you can deliver the things to their homes. You need not even have a physical location!
How do you grow your stationery business?
To advertise your business digitally, utilize content marketing, online marketing, and Google Adwords. Simultaneously, make an effort to meet with potential consumers in person. As your reputation grows, more orders will come your way. Hire a crew, build a new storefront, and grow your online business when you are ready to scale.
What are the sources of revenue for stationery businesses?
Enterprises that provide stationery to both firms and customers generate money. You can pay a lump sum payment by signing a commercial agreement with an agency or education system. Alternatively, retail sales can be relied upon. If you wish to, you can do both at the same time!
Which is preferable: a retail store or a wholesale operation?
The sort of business you wish to start is determined by your financial means as well as your personal preferences. A wholesale business has distinct goals from a retail store. Wholesalers are for you if you are confident seeing consumers regularly to persuade them of the value of your items and organising timely delivery. Retail, on either hand, is when you sell to people who come into your store.
What is the earning potential of an online stationery store?
The term "online business" refers to the process of arranging for the supply of ordered products in response to consumer orders. Online operations need close touch with suppliers and effective logistics. You should expect a net profit of 25 to 30%. A suitable marketing attitude for this work, requiring strong interaction with your clients, suppliers, and logistic service providers, is critical for online setup. Accounting and monitoring systems that are set up properly might help you maintain track of your firm.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Join The Retail Scoop
Stay up-to-date with the latest e-commerce trends, tips, and strategies to grow your online business. You’ll be the first to know about our exclusive content, offers and discounts.
Try Fynd Platform for free, no credit card required.
Product & Services
Partners community, get started now.
I’m Ready to Grow my Business. Schedule My live demo.
How To Start A Stationery Business In India  – Complete Setup Plan
- March 29, 2023
With almost 15 lakh schools and more than 26 crore students , there is a huge demand for stationery products in India.
Even though schools are taking a more digital approach to education, the demand for stationery is still on the rise.
In 2022, the Indian school stationery market was estimated at US$ 2240.1 million . And it is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 8% up to 2028.
With growing e-commerce trends, customer behavior has changed, opening doors to new opportunities. For example, you can now sell your products on an online store that offers more reach.
In this article, we will discuss step-by-step methods to start a stationery business in India.
What is a Stationery Business?
A stationery business sells paper-based products, such as files, notebooks, notepads, and diaries, and also non-paper-based products, like pens, pencils, and staplers, that are used for writing/printing.
There are four business types for a stationery business –
- You can set up a retail store and sell directly to customers.
- You can become a wholesale supplier for retail stores, school, and office supplies.
- You can start an online store. (can be done with a retail store or a wholesale shop)
- You can do it as a part-time or home-based business. (supply items on contact)
Why Starting a Stationery Business In India Is A Good Idea?
Due to the growing urban population and changing lifestyle of people, the Indian stationery market has been consistently evolving. The government has also introduced initiatives to enhance the quality of Indian education quality, which is a reason for the growing stationery demand.
The global stationery market is expected to reach US$30 billion by the end of 2031, with North America and Asia having more than 60% of the market share. With increasing literacy rates and internet usage, the Indian stationery market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 10.5% , more than the global average.
The increasing numbers of schools and offices have spiked the demand for stationery products. Moreover, changing consumer habits due to e-commerce and online storefronts have made it easy to penetrate the market. Right now, it is the perfect time to start a stationery business in India.
A Complete Guide to Open a Stationery Business In India
If you are convinced by now to open a stationery business in India, you need a solid plan and strategy to do it right. So let’s dive into this step-by-step guide on how to start a stationery business in India.
Identifying The Target Market
There’s an old saying, “If everyone is your customer, no one is your customer.” Therefore, in order to sustain and make long-term gains, you must identify your target market. Your target market will decide the business operations and marketing strategy.
For instance, if you’re selling stationery to students directly, you need to have a retail shop nearby a school. In another scenario, if you are delivering supplies to offices, you must be able to handle bulk purchases constantly.
When you’re choosing your target customers, think about the following –
- Marketing budget you can allocate
- Orders you can fulfill on a constant basis
- Brand placement
- Business contacts
Conducting Market Research
Different markets have different pain points. For example, a CBSE student will not have the same preferences and pain points as a district school. Therefore, once you finalize your target market, you have to research that segment thoroughly.
- Find out what competitors are doing.
- What kind of issues your target market is facing with the competitors?
- Is there anything you can do better?
- Is there an ongoing trend that can be leveraged?
Figure out answers to these questions, and you can place yourself well in front of your targeted customers.
Deciding On The Business Model
You have two business models in the stationery business. There is no right or wrong. It is all about your preference, investment, and the amount of time and effort you can put into your business.
1) Reseller or Retailer
This is a simple business model. You purchase products manufactured by others and resell them at a margin. Generally, you buy stock in bulk at a wholesale price, so the margins are high when you sell it.
2) Customized Stationery Seller
In this business model, you have the chance to showcase your creativity. You purchase products from wholesalers and customize them into something unique, keeping your target audience in mind.
This business model can be highly rewarding as it’s very niche-specific, and you can make a higher margin on customized goods.
Choosing The Right Products to Sell
Based on your target market and your business model, you must choose the right products for your business.
For example, if you’re going with a customized stationery business model, you may not have the time and resources to customize multiple products. But you can create a particular product, such as a customized pen, a pencil, or a notebook.
If you are a reseller, you can choose multiple products as you don’t have to put extra time and effort into customizing them.
Similarly, you cannot supply the same products to a district school and a private office.
Do your research and choose the products that cater to your target market and fit in your budget.
Deciding About The Pricing
Your pricing must suit your business type. If you work as a reseller, you can expect a 20% margin on branded products. The margin can be 25% if you are a customized seller.
However, as a wholesaler, your markup must be industry-standard. As a result, the margins are quite low per product, but you also make more sales.
Remember to analyze the competitors’ prices before reaching a final decision.
Developing a Marketing and Sales Plan
A sound marketing and sales plan is essential for business growth. There are two types of marketing to promote your stationery business. Let’s understand both of them.
1. Offline Marketing
Offline marketing involves local promotion using displays and banners. It also includes networking and finding the right connections.
You can start offline promotion by distributing flyers and putting banners in the locality. You can also offer discounts to students (if your stationary shop is near a school) initially to create brand awareness.
Most stationery business in schools and offices is done through referrals. Right connections can help you get recommendations and big business deals. When enough people know your business, you establish a reputation. This reputation can grant you more exposure which in turn can be converted into significant transactions.
2. Online Marketing
If you choose to start an online store, you rely entirely on online marketing. However, even as a retail shop owner, you can leverage digital platforms for the promotion.
If you choose to sell online, you need a website. The website must offer a good user experience with required integrations, such as payment gateways. You can use Google Ads and SEO to generate sales from your website.
You can leverage social media marketing, too, by creating profiles on various social media platforms and engaging with your target audience.
Build a marketing strategy that aligns with your business goals and is relevant to your target market.
Obtaining Necessary Licences and Permits
Like any other business, a stationery business also needs licenses to operate. So the first step is to decide whether you want to register your business as a sole proprietorship or an LLC. An LLC is a better entity type if you expect yearly revenue of more than INR 16 lakhs.
Another necessary license you need is the ‘Shop & Establishment Act’ license. You might also have to register for GST if your annual revenue exceeds INR 40 lakhs. There are various other licenses depending on your business strategy and day-to-day operations.
Choosing the Workspace Based on Your Business Model
If you decide to start a retail shop, you must find a place with high foot traffic that can be easily accessible. For instance, if you target CBSE students, you need to open a shop nearby a CBSE-affiliated school. In physical stores, you also have to consider the rental costs.
If you are selling online, you still need a warehouse to store your inventory. However, location does not matter much in this scenario. Similarly, as a wholesaler, you can set up a small office (even your home) and store goods in a warehouse.
Choosing the Right Suppliers
You need dependable suppliers to make your stationery business run smoothly. If a shipment is delayed, you can lose a client. Similarly, you cannot fulfill an emergency order, if your supplier is unreliable.
First, you must understand your requirements. Do you need a large inventory? What will be your budget? What are the products you need regularly?
Once you have the answers, you can start looking for a vendor who fits the criteria. You can tap into your network or ask your competitors to find the ideal suppliers for you. You can also find suppliers online with B2B directories.
Other than the quality of products, competitive business terms (like finance) are also crucial when you finalize a vendor. Create a list of various vendors and compare them to choose the one that best fits your needs. Always keep a backup supplier in case your primary vendor fails to deliver.
Scaling it Offline and Planning For Local Deliveries Through Online Channels
You can scale your business offline with the right networking and by establishing a reputation. However, you need a reliable delivery system if you want to start local deliveries. You can also try other models like BOPIS (Buy Online Pickup In-Store), depending on your business model and feasibility.
You need an online store to place the order and make the payment. You can opt for a local delivery partner. Ensure they provide a good delivery experience. The products must be delivered within the estimated time.
To ensure a good customer experience, you need to figure out a few things –
- Delivery location
- Delivery charges (if any)
- Mode of delivery
- Delivery timings
- Delivery agent
How Much Does it Cost to Start a Stationery Business?
The cost to open a stationery business depends on your chosen business model. A small stationery shop can cost you around INR 2.5 lakhs to 3.5 lakhs. However, a medium to large retail shop might need INR 6.5 lakhs to 9.5 lakhs. For an online business, you might need anywhere from INR 3-4 lakhs.
Let’s break down the cost of products:
For small businesses –
- Interiors, furniture, racks, display boards, etc., would cost around INR 1-1.5 lakhs
- Stationery products would cost 1-1.5 lakhs
- Security deposit and rental if you don’t own the shop (ranges from INR 30,000 to 50,000)
For medium to large businesses –
- Interiors, furniture, racks, display boards, etc., would cost around INR 2-3 lakhs
- Stationery products would cost 2-2.5 lakhs
- Printers, Xerox, and other computer systems would cost INR 1.5-2.5 lakhs
- Security deposit and rental if you don’t own the shop (ranges from INR 60,000 to 1,00,000)
- Delivery crew or helpers would take a salary of INR 15,000-30,000
Pros and Cons of a Stationery Business Model
Every business has pros and cons, and the stationery business is no different. So let’s look at them.
- The capital required to start a stationery business is quite low.
- You do not need a rental space to start. You can create a website and become a reseller.
- It’s an evergreen business, as schools and offices will not disappear. So, demand will always be there.
- The unorganized sector has taken up most of the market.
- As the cost of setting up is low, the market is crowded. You need proper research before starting a business.
- Finding reliable vendors can take a lot of work. You will have to go through a list of multiple vendors to find the right supplier who can deliver the required product on time.
With the constant rise in demand and lower capital requirements, a stationery business can be a lucrative option. But user behavior has changed since Covid, and you need to up your social media and digital marketing game.
The user journey is not a linear path anymore, and there are multiple touchpoints you need to cover before making a sale today. However, you can survive and scale if you offer good quality products at reasonable prices with decent customer service experience.
You can start on your own and hire a crew as the business scale.
And remember, you can always come back and refer to this guide if you feel like you’re stuck.
Leave a Reply
Leave a reply cancel reply.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Some Popular Posts
Top Modular Kitchen Companies in India [2023 Updated]
10 Biggest Challenges Faced While Scaling D2C Brands
Top 10 Fashion Startups In India [2023 Updated]
Powered by - Apna Writer
KeeVurds is one of the leading online platforms for entrepreneurs. Read latest startup insights, find the best service providers, share your startup story, and more.
- [email protected]
- Write For Us
- Content Writing Companies In India
- Website Development Companies In India
- Software Development Companies In India
- Digital Marketing Companies In India
- Creative Agencies In India
- Top Graphic Design Agencies In India
- Brand Stories
- Share Your Startup’s Story
- Submit Your Case Study
- Free Press Release Submission
- Business Opportunities
- Top Startups In India
- Submit Infographics
- Shark Tank India Season 2
© Copyright KeeVurds 2023 | Beta Version
How To Start A Stationery Business In India? [Detailed Guide]
An overview of stationery business in india.
Stationery refers to a wide range of paper-based products used for writing or printing, as well as non-paper based items such as pen, pencil art materials which supplement the writing. Over the years, the range of items has extended to include folders, pen stands, decorative items like streamers, and computer consumables. The increasing level of education in India (primary and higher) is creating new opportunities in the stationery business.
The growth in e-commerce , too, is creating additional demands in India. Over 20 crores school students in India require several stationery items every year. The government's focus on education will keep increasing the number of school-going children every year.
Statista (a company specialising in market and consumer data) estimates the Indian stationery business at INR 12000+ crores yearly. The industry is expected to grow by over 10% each year (in value) for the next five years. Stationery business in India typically follows a three-stage distribution: Producer to Wholesaler, and wholesaler to retailer, before it reaches the customer.
Starting a stationery item business is still an attractive option but, like in every industry, the stationery business too has risks involved. You may begin the business with INR 10 Lakhs capital, depending on your location.
A careful study and analysis of a few essential steps will help you a lot before starting a stationery business. But, first, let us understand the broad categories of stationeries.
Segments For Stationery Items
Two broad segments.
- Paper: Note pads, exercise books, writing sheets, and cards (greetings, wedding, and business).
- Non-paper: Pen, pencil, art materials (colours, crayons, markers, and more), office stationery(folders, staplers, scratch pads), decorative items (masks, balloons, streamers), computer consumables (ink- cartridge, toner among others), adhesives, and technical instrument stationery.
Options For A Stationery Business
- Retail store (selling to customers)
- Wholesale supplies (to retail stores, office, and school supplies)
- Online store (direct to customers per order placed)
- Home-based/part-time (mainly selling items on personal contact )
How To Start A Stationery Business: A-To-Z Guide
Four main aspects need careful considerations:
- Finding the right suppliers
- Your customers (marketing plan)
Preliminary information on the above points will help you to prepare a business plan , the guiding document of your business.
Include a realistic estimate of monthly sales and profitability in the business plan.
Finding The Right Suppliers
- Both retail and wholesale business in stationery items requires a reliable supplier base.
- Apart from the quality of items, competitive business terms (like credit) are factors for choosing your suppliers.
- Compare the details of various suppliers to select the one you find most suitable.
- A backup supplier should also be identified for a possible default in supplies by the chosen one.
- Market information, trade guides, and online resources will help you with information on suppliers.
Also Read: Adhesive Manufacturers in India
Your Customers: Plan The Right Marketing
- People say your business is as good as your marketing.
- Proper customer handling is a critical aspect of the stationery item business.
- Wholesale will need regular customer contact and enhanced marketing efforts.
- In a retail outlet, displays, stock range, and customer handling have a significant impact on sales.
- Promoting your shop in the local area and social media will help in attracting new customers.
- For an online business, necessary digital structures, like a website, payment link, have to be created.
The Importance Of Location
- A location can make or break your retail business.
- The nature of your business, retail or wholesale supplies, will be an essential factor for deciding on the spot.
- Clear access for customers, good shop frontage, and nearness to a marketplace are factors for deciding on a retail shop location—provision for adequate storage of stocks to be considered.
- A wholesale/online business can happen from a small office space (even your house) but should have a separate warehouse for stocks (in case of wholesale).
Also Read: Best Pencil brands in India
Funds For Your Business
Most small ventures are self, or family-financed to start with. But if you need funding, what are the sources?
- Co-operative credit societies, which offer priority loans to small businesses (you have to fulfil their conditions first).
- NBFCs (Non-Banking Finance Company).
- Crowdfunding- A relatively new concept of attracting money from friends, associates, or even the general public in exchange for shares of your business. It would help if you had a trustworthy reputation, and a dedicated effort to be successful in raising crowdfunded money.
- Venture capitalists, or angel investors- A new finance concept for small businesses, but applies mostly to innovative products or services. A good business model may attract venture capitalists to stationery item business.
- Digital finance platforms - Several fin-tech Companies offer loans in collaboration with NBFCs. They are an excellent resource for a small entrepreneur.
The Indian government has a particular focus for small businesses, and many schemes offering funds with easy terms are available for SMEs. Mudra Bank is such an initiative. Besides, several incentives like exemption from taxes, interest waiver on loans are available for the small business owner.
A practical word of caution – wholesale business will mean higher investment on stocks and distribution (people and logistics); and, higher working capital to cover business credits.
These points, along with the cost for equipment (furniture, computers, and delivery vehicles), should be closely reviewed before launching your business.
The Final Stages
- It is time for action now.
- Complete necessary formalities of registration and license, opening a bank account.
- Formalities for registration can be done online now.
- Finally, you have reached the stage of launching your business.
- Once you are on-stream, plan proper accounting of sales and receivables (various software packages are available).
- Remember few tips of successful business owners – begin in a small way, and grow steadily, choosing your items and customers carefully.
- Your dedication, planning, and customer relation will be the key to success.
Stay updated with new business ideas & business tips with OkCredit blogs in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi & more! Download OkCredit now & get rid of your bookkeeping hassles. OkCredit is 100% Made in India.
Q. How do I start a small shop for stationery items? I have a small garage space.
Ans. You can start your business from the garage, but the location of a retail shop is crucial for success. If you are close to a market or a busy area, the chances of customers (school children /parents) visiting your shop will increase.
Select the items for your shop carefully, after gathering information about the expected profile of customers (of stationery items) in your area. You can start the business after gathering the required license, permit, registration.
Remember to follow your shop timings strictly from day one – it will build up the reliability of your shop.
You can begin in a small way with your funds, and expand your item range gradually.
Q. What Is Better: A Retail Shop, Or A Wholesale Business?
- The type of business you want to do depends on your resources, as well as your inclination.
- Retail shops have different priorities than a wholesale business.
- If you are comfortable with visiting customers regularly and convince them about your products, and arranging timely deliveries, wholesale is for you.
- Retail, on the other hand, is selling to customers who turn up at your shop.
Q. How profitable is an online stationery business?
Ans. Online business means arranging the supply of the ordered items on receipt of orders from customers. Close contact with suppliers and efficient logistics are prerequisites for online operations. You will have a gross margin of 25 to 30%.
Criticality for online setup is a proper marketing mindset for this job, involving close coordination with your customers, suppliers, and logistic service providers. Adequate accounting and monitoring setup help to keep track of your business.
Q. My stationary distribution business is growing, and I need financial help. What options can I get, other than banks?
- Banks require several documents as per their formats for deciding on loans.
- Many small business owners like you find it challenging to comply.
- Financial technology companies are offering consumer-oriented services; these include managing financial operations.
- The finance companies (called Fintechs) work on the primary operational and accounting data (of your business) and generate several digital reports using specialised software and algorithms.
- Many such Fintech companies collaborate with NBFCs to organise loans for small businesses.
- Several of these companies manage the whole financial affairs of small enterprises.
- OkCredit is one such company providing financial services to several small enterprises, with total customer trust and satisfaction.
- They even have programs in several regional languages too.
Read the best of business ideas, tips for small businesses, the latest update on technology & more by OkCredit.
Cable manufacturers in india [5 best manufacturers], air compressor manufacturer in india [top 11 manufacturers], pet bottle manufacturers in india [top 7 manufacturers], paint manufacturers in india [6 best manufacturers], silk saree manufacturers in india [best manufacturers], you might be interested in, foreign direct investment(fdi) 101: a complete guide, series funding [types, how it works and more], sustainable architecture ideas that can improve our lives.
Sample Stationery Shop Business Plan Template
Stationery shop business plan sample.
Interested in setting up a stationery store? Having a plan is crucial to achieving this goal. But organizing such plans can be difficult. Which is why we’ve come to the rescue.
Our stationery retail shop business plan helps out by providing you with basic tips on how to go about this. This is being offered in the form of a sample which can be used as a guide.
So, all you need do is follow through till the end.
Here is a sample business plan for starting a stationery shop.
Sunrise Stationery Stores is a general purpose stationary shop locate in Lincoln, Nebraska . We provide a wide range of office solutions through our vast array of stationary supplies.
We’ve partnered with major and reputable suppliers and manufacturers to ensure that only the best supplies are sold. This has improved our brand and made us a trusted name in the Lincoln area.
At Sunrise Stationery Stores, our mission is to establish a reliable brand known for excellence. This has been achieved through deliberate efforts of carefully choosing our team.
As a result, the short period of existence (1 year) has seen a steady growth in demand and patronage of our products.
Going forward, we seek to improve on these and more.
Our vision is to be among the top 5 stationery shops in Lincoln within a 5-year period. This is will be achieved through increased innovation and dedication to our ideals which is excellence in service.
We have established a one-stop stationery shop. Here, you get to buy all sorts of office supplies. As a result, we have a wide list of products.
Few of these include; Corporate Write On Slips, Corporate Spiral Pads, Milan Writing Pads, General HP CDs, CD-R’s, DVD-R’s, Fly leaf, A4 size papers, FS size papers, A3 size papers and Duplicating papers.
Other products include Index files, File Guards, Envelops of all sizes, Vehicle log books, Assorted types of pens, OHP markers, Ledger books, and Pencil Cups among so many others.
Expansion is an important part of our operations. This will see more stationery stores opened across Lincoln and other cities.
Hence the need to raise additional funding. Banks will play a crucial role in sourcing for these funds. We currently need the sum of $900,000 for the first phase of our expansion drive. As such, we will be applying for a low interest (between 2 to 4% interest) loans.
For any meaningful growth to occur, there needs to be an analysis of past performance. This is in addition to identifying current challenges as well as opportunities. We have contracted competent business experts to handle these areas of our operations.
And their findings has been revealing as will be seen shortly;
Our strength is found in our innovation driven approach to offering services which are second to none. Our partnerships are also highly beneficial to the growth of the business.
Through these, we’ve set a tradition of excellence as well as creating a reward system that drives creativity in service delivery.
Weaknesses have been identified in our payment systems as well as our limited capacity to compete effectively.
These areas are being given the needed attention.
These actions are meant to ensure that we build on these identified areas.
The stationery industry in Nebraska is witnessing a major boom. An expanding economy and the ease of doing business makes this a perfect time for our business. It’s as a result of this that we seek to expand our operations to increase our capacity.
With the right things put in place, these opportunities can be leveraged on.
Threats for our business will come in the form of raised interest rates. This will constrain our expansion efforts.
But we are ever optimistic and seek to properly make use of the opportunities presented today.
Our short period of existence has given us a picture of just how profitable the market can be. Therefore, we’ve used existing conditions to work out a sales projection over a 3-year period. The results have been amazing and show a steady and healthy growth as summarized below;
i. First Financial Year $400,000.00 ii. Second Financial Year $900,000.00 iii. Third Financial Year $1,500,000.00
We have a competitive advantage. And this is in the form of a motivated workforce. Our choice of partners such as suppliers also places us at an advantage.
But we aren’t resting on our oars. We plan on further leveraging on these to widen and improve on our services. This will see an expansion as well as the inclusion more varieties of stationeries. Quality will also be a major focus.
Marketing is as crucial to increasing sales and capacity as is capital. Therefore, we’re taking necessary measures to improve on advertising our business. This will be done through different strategies.
One of these includes taking our business operations further by visiting potential clients. These clients will consist of corporate and private clients.
To be able to win clients, we need to show them what they stand to gain by patronizing our business. We will also demonstrate to them what makes our services better than our competitors.
But to make our marketing efforts even more potent, the input of marketing professionals will be sought. We hope that by doing so, we’ll be able to make a difference.
Every stationery supply business plan should have a unique approach. However, one thing you must know is that they all follow the same structure as shown here. You’d need to structure your plan according to your needs and circumstances.
This is only a sample that can be used and not one to be replicated.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
How to start stationery business in India?: Small town business ideas
Start stationery business and earn money
The majority of stationery business is done offline as people visit stores to buy their stationery needs.
However, online selling of stationery is growing as more and more people tend to shop from home sitting in front of the computer.
It offers convenience and ease because there is no need for a person to step outside their house or office just to buy stationery.
This article will help you to know how to start stationary business in India and whether starting a stationery business is profitable or not. Now, let’s find out more about How to start stationery business in India by reading this article. We hope you like it!
The trial and error method:
If you really want to make sure if the stationery business idea suits you, there is only one way possible : TRY IT.
There are no shortcuts to experience. Get an idea about the types of stationeries that you would like to sell, find out their prices in wholesale and retail markets, establish your network of suppliers, keep aside enough cash in order to supply the goods in time.
Once everything is ready go ahead with it. If things are not going right there’s no need to get disappointed; just find out the cause of failure and do it again after correcting your mistakes.
Basics to keep in mind:
Stationery business is not only limited to writing materials like pens, pencils, notebooks etc. You can sell any stationery item as per your choice or convenience. But you need to be clear about certain basics before getting into it.
You should know your targeted customers well, the prices of stationery items in wholesale and retail markets. If you are planning to distribute stationery materials then it’s important for you to establish a good network with suppliers.
Offer quality products:
No problem can be solved by offering poor quality material. It will only increase your cost and lead to wastage.
Ensure that what you are offering is of good quality and in accordance with the current market trends.
Read also: Profitable agriculture business ideas in India for rural entrepreneurs
Keep an eye on upcoming new products and try to add them in your stock as soon as possible. Be innovative in your approach and keep providing items according to customer tastes and preferences.
Finding The Right Suppliers:
To make your stationary items you will need paper and other materials. Now, if these papers and materials are not of good quality then it may lead to wastage or spoil your product.
So, first find the right suppliers who can supply you with high quality material at affordable prices.
Also try to develop a rapport with them so that you can get the best possible rates in future. While choosing a stationery supplier, do not forget to consider the location of his company.
It would be better if they are located nearby or in such a place from where your goods can easily reach them without any delay. This will save time and energy thus reducing cost and wastage.
Stationery items are generally distributed through wholesale market or retail shops. If you want to distribute stationery materials then it’s important for you to have a strong network with these wholesale markets because this is where majority of the demand is met from.
In case, if you have your own shop in which you want to sell your stationery then you can contact these wholesale markets and ask them if they need your products in their market or not.
Read also: A Guide to Starting a Dry Fruit Business in India: opportunities & challenges
If the answer is positive then try to get a contract with them. Once, you will have a good network of retailers and wholesalers then it will be easier for you to set up your own stationary shop.
Stationery items are not meant only for children. They are useful to all age groups. You can target people according to their professions or needs or you can also have separate stationary shops catering the different requirements of clients.
For instance, if you want to start stationery shop then it will be better for you to open it under the roof of a building that houses offices. You can sell items like pens, pencils, notebooks etc.
to students and employees in this office building. The most profitable stationery is not necessarily the most popular one; it’s just your creativity that matters.
Keep trying out new styles and ideas to make original products so that you can attract more clients and outdo your competitors.
in line with changing trends and offering them products according to their tastes and preferences.
To sell stationery items like pencils, pens or any other item, first of all make sure that you have the knowledge about their rates in wholesale and retail markets.
You can go to wholesale markets and ask for quotations or you can look out for the rates of such items in retail markets as well.
Once, you will have a fair idea about their prices, you can put up your stationary shop anywhere at your convenient location.
Read also: Mango Pickle Making Business
Another way is to distribute stationery materials through retailers and wholesalers who buy these items in wholesale and then sell them in retail.
This is a good way of getting orders from retailers, however, you will have to invest more money on this distribution channel.
In any case, do not neglect the needs of your customers and always offer high quality products at reasonable prices. In this way, you can make a niche for yourself in this competitive market.
You can even supply stationery items to retailers on commission basis. In this case, the main thing is not to sell your products at a very low price because it will lead to loss of profit margin.
Read also: How to Start Papad Making Business with Low Budget
The competitive strength of a stationary shop lies not only in selling items but also in its distribution system.
If you can sell items on a regular basis then it will not only save time but also reduce cost and wastage.
In the end, if you have good business sense, then this shop can turn into a successful venture for you.
How can I start my own stationery business in India?
Stationery business is something where you need to handle both wholesale and retail markets.
You can do it either by opening a stationery shop or becoming the distributor of stationery items for particular products.
If you are planning to open a stationery shop then it’s essential to have knowledge about the products that are currently trending in the market.
While on the other hand, if you are planning to become a distributor then it’s important for you to know which items are in high demands and can generate more profit from the business.
Is stationery business profitable in India?
Stationery is an essential product that is required everywhere. It doesn’t matter whether a person is having his own business or is employed somewhere; stationery items are required in both the cases.
Thus, it can be said that making a stationery shop or starting a wholesale stationary business is not at all risky.
Read also: Home Business Ideas for Women Entrepreneurs
As per the recent forecasts, the stationary industry in India is expected to grow further by 12% within next three years i.e. 2018-2020. People having good business acumen can easily earn handsome profit through the stationery business.
Stationery shop business plan in India:
Many people are interested in starting their own stationery shop but they find it difficult to decide which items should be stocked and where is the best place for opening the shop is.
For example, you can choose a major retail market place of the city for opening a stationery shop.
Make a list of products that are in high demands and have good profit margin. Calculate your total monthly expenditure regarding rent, salary, transportation etc.
If you find yourself comfortable then start a stationary business but remember don’t invest more than what you can afford to lose as this is a risky business.
How much does it cost to start a stationery business?
If you are planning to open a stationary shop then firstly you need to do some market research to check whether people are interested to buy stationery items from a particular location or not.
The investment required to start a stationary shop varies from business to business. It depends on the location of your shop, size of the shop and your supplier as well as distribution channel.
Read also: How do I start a toilet cleaner manufacturing in India?
If you have good knowledge about wholesale stationery items then it will be easier for you to generate more profit from your stationary business.
It’s important for you to establish a strong supply chain as per the demand; otherwise people will start looking for your competitors.
How do you sell stationery items?
Stationary business can be started with zero investment and within few weeks time if you have some knowledge regarding the product and its prices.
Don’t try to sell every product at a fixed price; it will affect your business badly. You should keep some products with lower rates and add items that are in high demand but have slightly higher rate than the previous one.
This strategy will allow you to attract more customers towards your shop or establish a strong network with wholesale dealers.
The market of stationary is huge as people need such products throughout their lives. If you are thinking about starting a stationery shop then do some research and find the best location for your business.
Rea also: How to Start Candle Making Business at home
The shop should be well planned inside out because it will reflect your personality to the customers.
Last but not the least, you should have strong supply chain and should keep the products displayed in such a manner that it attracts passersby.
Also, don’t forget to advertise yourself so that people get to know about your shop and its location.
It’s easy to get into the stationary business but deciding on the item to be sold is really important. You just can’t sell any random item that comes your way; you need to do proper research and then only proceed.
Small business ideas in India that you can start from home with low investment
Thank you for reading this article about how to start stationery business in India. If you love this small business idea then share it with your friends.
If you have any query or doubt related to this post then feel free to contact us. You can follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Are you looking for some small business ideas in India with large profit margin? Stay updated with our business ideas at SugerMint .
Small town business ideas
© 2023 SugerMint | All references relating to companies are copyright of their respective holders.
Username or Email Address
Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.
Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.
To use social login you have to agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. %privacy_policy%
Add to Collection
Public collection title
Private collection title
Here you'll find all collections you've created before.
106-E, Kamla Nagar, New Delhi-110007, India
- Top Sectors
- Why buy Report?
Business Ideas and Investment Opportunities
Stationery industry | manufacturing of stationery products | school stationery | office stationery | customize and personalized stationery | copier paper | exercise note book, project report.
Detailed project report to cover all the aspects.
Market Research Report
The report provides an expansive market analysis.
A comprehensive business plan including industry trends.
Get a Project Report
Profitable business ideas for startups.
GLOBAL STATIONERY MARKET GROWTH
Various macro-economic and micro-economic issues are largely limiting the worldwide stationery market’s growth. Sales of stationery products will continue to rise in the global market as the demand for smart accessories among industrial professionals grows. Manufacturers are putting a lot of money into producing smart stationery for businesses based on their specific needs and specifications. In developing regions like North America, customising and personalising stationery products will continue to be popular. Personalization and personalization are also expected to drive significant innovation in a variety of stationery goods. The stationery market, on the other hand, is expected to develop due to increased corporate expansion and the formation of new businesses. Furthermore, businesses are increasingly spending in customising and personalising business stationery such as memos and business cards. As a result of these reasons, the worldwide stationery market is expected to grow slightly. Demand for stationery products such as smart stationery, office stationery, and luxury writing instruments is expected to rise globally as a result of the changing lifestyles of the middle class, e-commerce, and industrialization. Manufacturers are mostly taking advantage of rising stationery demand in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) (APEJ). The rise in the number of educational institutions is expected to boost demand for stationery products around the world. The global market is expected to benefit from the expansion of the e-commerce platform, which is expected to boost sales of a variety of stationery products. These factors are expected to contribute to the expansion of the global stationery industry.
GLOBAL STATIONERY PRODUCTS MARKET
The worldwide stationery products market is predicted to grow at a 5.1% CAGR over the next five years. Growing literacy rates around the world and an increasing number of young people interested in higher education are two major drivers of industry expansion. Furthermore, market growth is fueled by the rapid expansion in the number of start-ups. Increased employment in these areas has a significant impact on market growth. Government measures have resulted in an increase in the number of schools and colleges in both rural and urban areas, affecting market growth directly. The global education business is expected to increase significantly in the near future, fueling market expansion. The market for luxury pens is being driven by rising brand recognition and disposable income among customers, which is giving the worldwide market a boost.
INDIAN STATIONERY INDUSTRY
The stationery sector in India is valued Rs 4,000 crore and includes a wide range of items and categories. Paper items, writing instruments, computer stationery, school stationery, and office stationery are the main categories. Despite the fact that local stationery firms dominate the Indian stationery industry, a huge number of organised players are already entering the market. India’s stationery market is expected to develop at a 10.5 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR).
Due to the increasing enrollment of children in schools and higher educational institutions in India, the education sector generates the most demand for stationery products. Furthermore, the country’s burgeoning e-commerce business is helping to drive up stationery purchases. Because of the growing need for stationery items in the service sector, the office segment is the second largest consumer of stationery products and is expected to increase at a steady rate.
Paper stationery, in particular, accounted for the majority of revenue in the whole India stationery market. The primary revenue-generating areas include exercise notebooks, copier paper, and premium paper stationery. In addition, the exercise notebook segment holds the largest proportion of the paper stationery industry. In 2017, the Northern area had the greatest revenue share of all the regions. The market is likely to develop as the country’s youth population and literacy rate both rise.
TOP PLAYERS WORLDWIDE:
- American Greetings Corporation
- Archies Limited
- Brother International Corporation
- Canon U.S.A., Inc.
- CSS Industries Inc.
- Dixon Ticonderoga Company
- Hallmark Cards, Inc.
- Herlitz PBS AG
- Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
- Hindustan Pencils Pvt.
- International Writing Instrument Corp.
- ITC Classmates.
- JK Paper Limited.
- Kokuyo Camlin Limited.
- Kokuyo Co., Ltd.
- Mitsubishi Pencil Co., Ltd.
- Montblanc International Gmbh
- Office Depot, Inc.
- Pentel Co., Ltd.
- Pilot Corporation
- Rabbit Stationery
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Societe BIC
- ST Dupont Sa
- Staples Advantage
- Xerox Corporation
Reports & Books
Suggested business ideas for entrepreneurs.
- A4 and A3 Size Paper
- A4 Sheet Copier Paper (A4 Size) From Jambo Rolls
- Ammonia Paper (Blue) Print
- Ball Point Inks
- Ball Point Pen Refills
- Black Lead Pencil
- Chalk Crayon
- Copier Paper (A4 Size)
- Exercise Note Book & Registers Pads and File
- Exercise Note Book and Offset Printing
- Exercise Note Books
- Indelible Election Ink
- Kraft Paper
- Office Gum (Office Paste)
- Paper Shopping Bags, Cups, Glass & Envelopes
- Pencil Sharpeners (Plastic)
- Polymer Pencil
- Printed Paper Envelopes
- Printing Ink
- Printing Ink for Flexogravure
- Production of A4 and A3 Size Paper.
- Safety Pin, Paper Pin and Gem Clips
- Slate Pencils
- Tailors Chalk
- Toner Ink for Xerox Machine
- Wooden Pencils
Project choices, good future demand.
Identify the demand of the Industry before you start
Evaluate Project Costs and Payback Period
Analyze the Export-Import Potential of the Industry
Know how to drive the growth of the project
A team of Professional Advisors
Reasons for buying our report.
Our Detailed Project Report aims at providing all the critical data required by any entrepreneur vying to venture into a project.
Choose a Profitable Project
Identify a profitable project for investing or diversifying into the sector.
Know Project Details
Details about the product, such as its description, characteristics, and segmentation
Determine Target Audience
The study assists you in properly selling & positioning the product by determining the product's target customer audience.
Project Feasibility Details
The report contains information such as the raw materials needed, the production process, project costs, & other project financials.
Forecasts of key parameters are given in the study, which aids in anticipating industry success and making sound business decisions.
The business plan helps you connect with the investors, lenders who want to see the plan and will expect the plan to cover the main points.
Our Major Clients
We get results, why choose entrepreneur india.
Through our reliable expertise in the project consultancy and market research field, have demystified the situation by putting forward the emerging business opportunities along with its business prospects.
We also provide exhaustive information about the project, which satisfies all the above mentioned requirements and has high growth potential in the markets. And through our report we aim to help you make sound and informed business decision.
- A trusted and driving name in the business that provides specialized consulting services.
- We offer are pre-feasibility reports, key plans, techno-financial reports, comprehensive project reports, consumer assessments & specialized business directing.
- Our goal is to deliver value-added services and solutions
- We focus on quality and inventiveness strategies that benefits innumerable customers.
- Technical feasibility
- Financial viability
- Project risks associated
- Required actions to mitigate risks
Our Project Report
- The task report helps in planning and executing the venture and is additionally an essential document that is needed for getting endorsement and settling on investment decision.
- Moreover, the report additionally helps in infrastructure procedure, implementation interventions alongside dealing with the scope, cost, scheduling, procurement, and risk that are needed.
- The complete undertaking report is significant for many reasons, for example, for settling on venture dynamic, project arranging, execution, and endorsement.
- It is also expected to get credit from financial backers and for land obtaining, licenses, and permits, a project report end up being a significant document.
- We gather all the fundamental data about a project and put together the information in a deliberate way to ensure the task report isn't just best but is likewise adequate and applicable to the public authority offices and undertaking members.
- For project study, we cover presentation, definition, market studies, plant format, suppliers, location factors, financials, cost, fixed resources, capital use, benefit investigation, cash flow statement, and financial resources.
Our Partial list of Clients
Frequently asked questions.
We can help you to start a New Business..
What are some profitable business ideas?
Which business will grow in future, what industries are in high demand, what type of business should i start, how do you identify new market opportunities, what is a good manufacturing business to start, contact details, entrepreneur india.
Give us a call or drop by anytime, we endeavour to answer all enquiries asap. We will be happy to answer your questions.
GET IN TOUCH
Ready to get started.
--Select Area of Interest/Industry--- Abrasive, Asbestos, Cement, Refractory Products Activated Carbon & Activated Charcoal Adhesives, Industrial Adhesive, Sealants, Glues, Gum & Resin Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages, Drinks Aluminium and Aluminium Extrusion Profiles & Sections Bamboo and Bamboo Products Bamboo and Cane Based Projects Banana Products Battery Operated Electric Rickshaw Battery Operated Vehicle Battery Projects Beer and Wine Industry Bicycle Components Bicycle Industry Bicycle Parts, Bicycle Assembling Bicycle Spare Parts Bicycle Tyres & Tubes Bio Fertilizers and Biotechnology Biodegradable & Bioplastic Based Projects Biofuel Biotechnology Breakfast Snacks and Cereal Food Building Materials and Construction Projects Carbon Fiber, Carbon Fiber Composites Cashew Value Added Products Ceramic and Ceramic Products Cereal Processing Chemicals (Organic and Inorganic) Chewing Tobacco Citrus Fruits Processing and Value Added Products Coal and Coal By Products Coconut and Coconut Based Products Cold Chain Cold Storage for Fruits & Vegetables Computer Products and Information Technology (IT) Based Concrete, Cement and Cement Based Products Confectionery, Bakery/Baking and Other Food Construction & Building Materials Construction Chemicals Copper & Copper Based Projects Copper and Copper Products Cosmetics Cow Based Products Curcumin Manufacturing Dairy/Milk Processing Date Fruit Processing, Value Added Products Disinfectants Disinfectants, Pesticides, Insecticides, Mosquito Repellents Disposable Products Disposable Products, Cups, Plates, Glasses, Table Ware Dyestuff, Dyes, Pigments and Dye Intermediates E- Vehicle Edible Oils, Non-Edible Oils Electric Vehicles Electrical, Electronic and Computer Based Projects Engineering Goods E-Rickshaw Essential Oils Essential Oils, Oils & Fats and Allied Fast Moving Consumer Goods Feminine Hygiene Products Ferro Alloys Based Projects Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Metals Fertilizers Fertilizers & Bio Fertilizers Fibre Glass & Float Glass Fish Processing Fisheries and Aquaculture, Fish and Marine Products Flyash Based Value Added Products Food Colours, Colors, Flavours, Flavors Food Gums Food Industry Ingredients Food Processing and Agriculture Based Projects Food Stabilizers Food, Bakery, Agro Processing Fruits & Vegetables Processing Fruits and Vegetables Value Addition, Food Processing Fuels (Alcohol Fuel, Alternative Fuels, Biomass..) Garlic and Garlic Based Products Ginger & Ginger Based Projects Ginger Cultivation, Ginger Processing Ginger Value Added Products Glass Glassware Industry Herbal Based Projects Herbs and Herbal Based Products Hospital Based Projects Hospital Disposables Hotel & Hospitability Projects Hybrid Electric Scooter Hygiene Products, Essential Personal Hygiene Products Industrial & Engineering Products Industrial Gases Infrastructure Projects Inks, Lithographic Inks, Gravure Inks IV Fluids, I.V. Solutions, Intravenous Fluids Jute & Jute Based Products Leather and Leather Based Projects Leather, Leather Goods Led Light Bulbs, Tubes, Fittings, Spotlights and Wall Lights Leisure & Entertainment Based Projects Livestock Farming Of Birds & Animals Maize Processing (Wet Milling) & Maize Based Projects Material Handling Equipment Meat, Chicken, Egg, Pork, Fish Processing Marine Products Seafood Processing Medical Plastics, Disposables Plastic Syringe, Blood Bags Men Personal Care Products and Grooming Essentials Milk & Dairy Products Minerals and Minerals Mosquito, Insects Repellent Mat, Mosquito Repellent Liquid Onion Processing and Value Added Products of Onion Organic Farming, Neem Products Etc. Packaged Drinking Water & Mineral Water Packaging Based Projects Paints, Pigments, Varnish & Lacquer Paper and Paper Board, Paper Recycling Projects Perfumes, Cosmetics and Flavours Pesticides, Insecticides Petrochemicals Petroleum and Petroleum Products Pharmaceutical, Drugs, Fine Chemicals Pharmaceuticals and Drugs Pipe & Tubes Plantations, Farming and Cultivations Plastic Film, Plastic Waste and Plastic Compounds Plastic, PVC, PET, HDPE, LDPE Etc. Plastics, Polymers and Resins Potato and Potato Based Projects Power Generation Based Projects Printing and Packaging Printing Inks Ready to Eat Food Real Estate, Leisure and Hospitality Renewable Energy Based Projects Rice and Rice Based Products Rice Husk, Rice Hull, Rice Husk Ash Based Projects Rubber & Plastic Industries Rubber and Rubber Products Sanitary Napkins, Baby and Adult Diapers Seafood Processing Soaps and Detergents Soy and Soya Based Food Products Spices and Condiments Spices and Snacks Food Stationary Products Stationery and Export Industries Steel & Steel Products Surgical, Medical Plastics, Medical Disposables Synthetic Resins Tamarind and Tamarind Based Products Technical Textiles, (Agrotech, Buildtech, Clothtech..) Textile Auxiliary and Chemicals Textile Bleaching, Dyeing, Spinning Textile, Apparel, Clothing Manufacturing Textiles and Readymade Garments Tobacco, Pan Masala, Khaini Tomato Processing and Tomato Based Products Township & Residential Complex Transformer, Distribution Transformer Waste Management & Recycling Water Industry (Packaged Drinking Water & Mineral Water) Wax and Polishing Wire & Cable Wood & Wood Products Others
Stationery Business Plan Template & Guidebook
Have you ever been confused on how to write a stationery business plan, and where to get started? You're not alone. Making a plan that meets your needs and the expectations of your team can be challenging. But don't worry — because now, we want to show you how to create an amazing stationery business plan in 7 steps.
Get worry-free services and support to launch your business starting at $0 plus state fees.
- How to Start a Profitable Stationery Business in 11 Steps
- 10+ Best & Profitable Stationery Business Ideas 
- 25 Catchy Stationery Business Names:
- List of the Best Marketing Ideas For Your Stationery Business:
How to Write a Stationery Business Plan in 7 Steps:
1. describe the purpose of your stationery business..
The first step to writing your business plan is to describe the purpose of your stationery business. This includes describing why you are starting this type of business, and what problems it will solve for customers. This is a quick way to get your mind thinking about the customers’ problems. It also helps you identify what makes your business different from others in its industry.
It also helps to include a vision statement so that readers can understand what type of company you want to build.
Here is an example of a purpose mission statement for a stationery business:
The purpose of [Stationery Business Name] is to provide beautifully designed and high-quality stationery products to our customers. We strive to create unique and charming designs that reflect the personality and style of our customers. We are committed to offering a wide range of stationery items, from greeting cards and invitations to journals and notebooks, to meet the needs of our clients. Our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy to our customers through our beautifully crafted stationery products. We aim to be the go-to destination for anyone looking to add a touch of beauty and elegance to their daily lives.
2. Products & Services Offered by Your Stationery Business.
The next step is to outline your products and services for your stationery business.
When you think about the products and services that you offer, it's helpful to ask yourself the following questions:
- What is my business?
- What are the products and/or services that I offer?
- Why am I offering these particular products and/or services?
- How do I differentiate myself from competitors with similar offerings?
- How will I market my products and services?
You may want to do a comparison of your business plan against those of other competitors in the area, or even with online reviews. This way, you can find out what people like about them and what they don’t like, so that you can either improve upon their offerings or avoid doing so altogether.
3. Build a Creative Marketing Stratgey.
If you don't have a marketing plan for your stationery business, it's time to write one. Your marketing plan should be part of your business plan and be a roadmap to your goals.
A good marketing plan for your stationery business includes the following elements:
- Who is your target market?
- What do these customers have in common?
- How many of them are there?
- How can you best reach them with your message or product?
- Who are your current customers?
- Where did they come from (i.e., referrals)?
- How can their experience with your stationery business help make them repeat customers, consumers, visitors, subscribers, or advocates for other people in their network or industry who might also benefit from using this service, product, or brand?
Product or service description
- How does it work, what features does it have, and what are its benefits?
- Can anyone use this product or service regardless of age or gender?
- Can anyone visually see themselves using this product or service?
- How will they feel when they do so? If so, how long will the feeling last after purchasing (or trying) the product/service for the first time?
- Which companies are competing with yours today (and why)?
- Which ones may enter into competition with yours tomorrow if they find out about it now through word-of-mouth advertising; social media networks; friends' recommendations; etc.)
- What specific advantages does each competitor offer over yours currently?
- Which marketing channel do you intend to leverage to attract new customers?
- What is your estimated marketing budget needed?
- What is the projected cost to acquire a new customer?
- How many of your customers do you instead will return?
Form an LLC in your state!
4. Write Your Operational Plan.
Next, you'll need to build your operational plan. This section describes the type of business you'll be running, and includes the steps involved in your operations.
In it, you should list:
- The equipment and facilities needed
- Who will be involved in the business (employees, contractors)
- Financial requirements for each step
- Milestones & KPIs
- Location of your business
- Zoning & permits required for the business
What equipment, supplies, or permits are needed to run a stationery business?
To run a stationery business, you will need the following equipment, supplies, and permits:
- A variety of stationery products, such as greeting cards, envelopes, and writing instruments
- Display cases and stands to showcase your products
- Website and online store to showcase your products and allow customers to purchase online
- Packaging materials, such as boxes and bags, to safely and securely ship your products
- Business cards and marketing materials
- Professional liability insurance
- Any necessary permits or licenses, such as a business license or seller's permit if required by your state.
5. Management & Organization of Your Stationery Business.
The second part of your stationery business plan is to develop a management and organization section.
This section will cover all of the following:
- How many employees you need in order to run your stationery business. This should include the roles they will play (for example, one person may be responsible for managing administrative duties while another might be in charge of customer service).
- The structure of your management team. The higher-ups like yourself should be able to delegate tasks through lower-level managers who are directly responsible for their given department (inventory and sales, etc.).
- How you’re going to make sure that everyone on board is doing their job well. You’ll want check-ins with employees regularly so they have time to ask questions or voice concerns if needed; this also gives you time to offer support where necessary while staying informed on how things are going within individual departments too!
6. Stationery Business Startup Expenses & Captial Needed.
This section should be broken down by month and year. If you are still in the planning stage of your business, it may be helpful to estimate how much money will be needed each month until you reach profitability.
Typically, expenses for your business can be broken into a few basic categories:
Startup costs are typically the first expenses you will incur when beginning an enterprise. These include legal fees, accounting expenses, and other costs associated with getting your business off the ground. The amount of money needed to start a stationery business varies based on many different variables, but below are a few different types of startup costs for a stationery business.
Running & Operating Costs
Running costs refer to ongoing expenses related directly with operating your business over time like electricity bills or salaries paid out each month. These types of expenses will vary greatly depending on multiple variables such as location, team size, utility costs, etc.
Marketing & Sales Expenses
You should include any costs associated with marketing and sales, such as advertising and promotions, website design or maintenance. Also, consider any additional expenses that may be incurred if you decide to launch a new product or service line. For example, if your stationery business has an existing website that needs an upgrade in order to sell more products or services, then this should be listed here.
7. Financial Plan & Projections
A financial plan is an important part of any business plan, as it outlines how the business will generate revenue and profit, and how it will use that profit to grow and sustain itself. To devise a financial plan for your stationery business, you will need to consider a number of factors, including your start-up costs, operating costs, projected revenue, and expenses.
Here are some steps you can follow to devise a financial plan for your stationery business plan:
- Determine your start-up costs: This will include the cost of purchasing or leasing the space where you will operate your business, as well as the cost of buying or leasing any equipment or supplies that you need to start the business.
- Estimate your operating costs: Operating costs will include utilities, such as electricity, gas, and water, as well as labor costs for employees, if any, and the cost of purchasing any materials or supplies that you will need to run your business.
- Project your revenue: To project your revenue, you will need to consider the number of customers you expect to have and the average amount they will spend on each visit. You can use this information to estimate how much money you will make from selling your products or services.
- Estimate your expenses: In addition to your operating costs, you will need to consider other expenses, such as insurance, marketing, and maintenance. You will also need to set aside money for taxes and other fees.
- Create a budget: Once you have estimated your start-up costs, operating costs, revenue, and expenses, you can use this information to create a budget for your business. This will help you to see how much money you will need to start the business, and how much profit you can expect to make.
- Develop a plan for using your profit: Finally, you will need to decide how you will use your profit to grow and sustain your business. This might include investing in new equipment, expanding the business, or saving for a rainy day.
Frequently Asked Questions About Stationery Business Plans:
Why do you need a business plan for a stationery business.
A business plan is a document that outlines the goals and objectives of a business, as well as the strategies and tactics that will be used to achieve those goals. It is important to have a business plan for your stationery business because it helps to focus the efforts of the company, communicate the business's goals and objectives to potential investors, and provide a roadmap for the business to follow. Additionally, a business plan can be used to help secure funding from investors or lenders, who will want to see that the business has a solid plan in place before they provide funding.
How to write a business plan for your stationery business?)
To build a business plan for your stationery business, start by researching your industry, competitors, and target market. Use this information to define your business's goals and objectives, as well as the strategies and tactics that you will use to achieve those goals. Next, create a financial plan that outlines your projected income, expenses, and profit. This should include a projected income statement, cash flow statement, and balance sheet. Once you have all of this information, you can use it to create a comprehensive business plan that outlines the goals and objectives of your business, as well as the strategies and tactics that you will use to achieve those goals. A well-written stationery business plan contains the following sections: Purpose, Products & Services, Marketing Plan (including Marketing Strategy), Operations/Management Plan (including Operations/Management Strategy), Financial Plan (including Financial Forecasts), and Appendixes.
Can you write a stationery business plan yourself?
Yes, you can write a stationery business plan yourself. Writing a business plan is a valuable exercise that can help you clarify your business idea, identify potential challenges and opportunities, and develop a roadmap for success. While there are many resources and templates available to help you write a business plan, the process of creating one is ultimately up to you.
Related Business Plans
Home Inventory Business Plan Template & Guidebook
Home Inspection Business Plan Template & Guidebook
Home Decor Business Plan Template & Guidebook
Health And Wellness Business Plan Template & Guidebook
Hauling Business Plan Template & Guidebook
Hardware Business Plan Template & Guidebook
Handyman Business Plan Template & Guidebook
Hair Extension Business Plan Template & Guidebook
Handbag Business Plan Template & Guidebook
I'm Nick, co-founder of newfoundr.com, dedicated to helping aspiring entrepreneurs succeed. As a small business owner with over five years of experience, I have garnered valuable knowledge and insights across a diverse range of industries. My passion for entrepreneurship drives me to share my expertise with aspiring entrepreneurs, empowering them to turn their business dreams into reality.
Through meticulous research and firsthand experience, I uncover the essential steps, software, tools, and costs associated with launching and maintaining a successful business. By demystifying the complexities of entrepreneurship, I provide the guidance and support needed for others to embark on their journey with confidence.
From assessing market viability and formulating business plans to selecting the right technology and navigating the financial landscape, I am dedicated to helping fellow entrepreneurs overcome challenges and unlock their full potential. As a steadfast advocate for small business success, my mission is to pave the way for a new generation of innovative and driven entrepreneurs who are ready to make their mark on the world.
How to write a business plan for a stationery store?
Creating a business plan for a stationery store is an essential process for any entrepreneur. It serves as a roadmap that outlines the necessary steps to be taken to start or grow the business, the resources required, and the anticipated financial outcomes. It should be crafted with method and confidence.
This guide is designed to provide you with the tools and knowledge necessary for creating a stationery store business plan, covering why it is so important both when starting up and running an established business, what should be included in your plan, how it should be structured, what tools should be used to save time and avoid errors, and other helpful tips.
We have a lot to cover, so let's get to it!
In this guide:
Why write a business plan for a stationery store?
- What information is needed to create a business plan for a stationery store?
- What goes in the financial forecast for a stationery store?
- What goes in the written part of a stationery store business plan?
- What tool can I use to write my stationery store business plan?
Understanding the document's scope and goals will help you easily grasp its structure and content. Before diving into the specifics of the plan, let's take a moment to explore the key reasons why having a stationery store business plan is so crucial.
To have a clear roadmap to grow the business
It's rarely business as usual for small businesses. The economy follows cycles where years of growth are followed by recessions, and the business environment is always changing with new technologies, new regulations, new competitors, and new consumer behaviours appearing all the time...
In this context, running a business without a clear roadmap is like driving blindfolded: it's dangerous at best. That's why writing a business plan for a stationery store is essential to create successful and sustainable businesses.
To write an effective business plan, you will need to take stock of where you are (if you are already in business) and where you want the business to go in the next three to five years.
Once you know where you want your stationery store to be, you'll have to identify:
- what resources (human, equipment, and capital) are needed to get there,
- at what pace the business needs to progress to get there in time,
- and what risks you'll face along the way.
Going through this process regularly is beneficial, both for startups and existing companies, as it helps make informed decisions about how best to allocate resources to ensure the long-term success of the business.
To get visibility on future cash flows
If your small stationery store runs out of cash: it's game over. That's why we often say "cash is king", and it's crucial to have a clear view of your stationery store's future cash flows.
So, how can you achieve this? It's simple - you need to have an up-to-date financial forecast.
The good news is that your stationery store business plan already includes a financial forecast (which we'll discuss further in this guide). Your task is to ensure it stays current.
To accomplish this, it's essential to regularly compare your actual financial performance with what was planned in your financial forecast. Based on your business's current trajectory, you can make adjustments to the forecast.
By diligently monitoring your stationery store's financial health, you'll be able to spot potential financial issues, like unexpected cash shortfalls, early on and take corrective actions. Moreover, this practice will enable you to recognize and capitalize on growth opportunities, such as excess cash flow enabling you to expand to new locations.
To secure financing
Crafting a comprehensive business plan for your stationery store, whether you're starting up or already established, is paramount when you're seeking financing from banks or investors.
Given how fragile small businesses are, financiers will want to ensure that you have a clear roadmap in place as well as command and control of your future cash flows before entertaining the idea of funding you.
For banks, the information in your business plan will be used to assess your borrowing capacity - which is defined as the maximum amount of debt your business can afford alongside your ability to repay the loan. This evaluation helps them decide whether to extend credit to your business and under what terms (interest rate, duration, repayment options, collateral, etc.).
Similarly, investors will thoroughly review your plan to determine if their investment can yield an attractive return. They'll be looking for evidence that your stationery store has the potential for healthy growth, profitability, and consistent cash flow generation over time.
Now that you understand the importance of creating a business plan for your stationery store, let's delve into the necessary information needed to craft an effective plan.
Information needed to create a business plan for a stationery store
You need the right data in order to project sales, investments and costs accurately in the financial forecast of your stationery store business plan.
Below, we'll cover three key pieces of information you should gather before drafting your business plan.
Carrying out market research for a stationery store
Carrying out market research before writing a business plan for a stationery store is essential to ensure that the financial projections are accurate and realistic.
Market research helps you gain insight into your target customer base, competitors, pricing strategies and other key factors which can have an impact on the commercial success of your business.
In particular, it is useful in forecasting revenue as it provides valuable data regarding potential customers’ spending habits and preferences.
You could find that people may be interested in more sustainable stationery options, such as recycled paper and biodegradable pens. Additionally, people might be looking for more personalized stationery, such as custom embossing or monograms.
This information can then be used to create more accurate financial projections which will help investors make informed decisions about investing in your stationery store.
Developing the sales and marketing plan for a stationery store
As you embark on creating your stationery store business plan, it is crucial to budget sales and marketing expenses beforehand.
A well-defined sales and marketing plan should include precise projections of the actions required to acquire and retain customers. It will also outline the necessary workforce to execute these initiatives and the budget required for promotions, advertising, and other marketing efforts.
This approach ensures that the appropriate amount of resources is allocated to these activities, aligning with the sales and growth objectives outlined in your business plan.
The staffing and equipment needs of a stationery store
Whether you are at the beginning stages of your stationery store or expanding its horizons, having a clear plan for recruitment and capital expenditures (investment in equipment and real estate) is vital to ensure your business's success.
To achieve this, both the recruitment and investment plans must align coherently with the projected timing and level of growth in your forecast. It is essential to secure appropriate funding for these plans.
Staffing costs might include salaries for employees, payroll taxes, benefits, and any other potential labour costs. Equipment costs might include computers, printers, cash registers, scanners, shelving, and any other necessary items for running the store.
To create a financial forecast that accurately represents your business's outlook, remember to factor in other day-to-day operating expenses.
Now that you have all the necessary information, it's time to dive in and start creating your business plan and developing the financial forecast for your stationery store.
What goes into your stationery store's financial forecast?
The financial forecast of your stationery store will enable you to assess the profitability potential of your business in the coming years and how much capital is required to fund the actions planned in the business plan.
The four key outputs of a financial forecast for a stationery store are:
- The profit and loss (P&L) statement ,
- The projected balance sheet ,
- The cash flow forecast ,
- And the sources and uses table .
Let's take a closer look at each of these.
The projected P&L statement
The projected P&L statement for a stationery store shows how much revenue and profits your business is expected to generate in the future.
Ideally, your stationery store's P&L statement should show:
- Healthy growth - above inflation level
- Improving or stable profit margins
- Positive net profit
Expectations will vary based on the stage of your business. A startup will be expected to grow faster than an established stationery store. And similarly, an established company should showcase a higher level of profitability than a new venture.
The forecasted balance sheet of your stationery store
The projected balance sheet of your stationery store will enable the reader of your business plan to assess the overall financial health of your business.
It shows three elements: assets, liabilities and equity:
- Assets: are productive resources owned by the business, such as equipment, cash, and accounts receivable (money owed by clients).
- Liabilities: are debts owed to creditors, lenders, and other entities, such as accounts payable (money owed to suppliers).
- Equity: includes the sums invested by the shareholders or business owners and the profits and losses accumulated by the business to date (which are called retained earnings). It is a proxy for the value of the owner's stake in the business.
Analysing your stationery store projected balance sheet provides an understanding of your stationery store's working capital structure, investment and financing policies.
In particular, the readers of your plan can compare the level of financial debt on the balance sheet to the equity value to measure the level of financial risk (equity doesn't need to be reimbursed, while financial debt must be repaid, making it riskier).
They can also use your balance sheet to assess your stationery store's liquidity and solvency:
- A liquidity analysis: focuses on whether or not your business has sufficient cash and short-term assets to cover its liabilities due in the next 12 months.
- A solvency analysis: takes and longer view to assess whether or not your business has the capacity to repay its debts over the medium-term.
The projected cash flow statement
A cash flow forecast for a stationery store shows how much cash the business is projected to generate or consume.
The cash flow statement is divided into 3 main areas:
- The operating cash flow shows how much cash is generated or consumed by the operations (running the business)
- The investing cash flow shows how much cash is being invested in capital expenditure (equipment, real estate, etc.)
- The financing cash flow shows how much cash is raised or distributed to investors and lenders
Looking at the cash flow forecast helps you to ensure that your business has enough cash to keep running, and can help you anticipate potential cash shortfalls.
It is also a best practice to include a monthly cash flow statement in the appendices of your stationery store business plan so that the readers can view the impact of seasonality on your business cash position and generation.
The initial financing plan
The initial financing plan - also called a sources and uses table - is an important tool when starting a stationery store.
It shows where the money needed to set up the business will come from (sources) and how it will be allocated (uses).
Having this table helps understand what costs are involved in setting up the stationery store, how the risks are distributed between the shareholders and the lenders, and what will be the starting cash position (which needs to be sufficient to sustain operations until the business breaks even).
Now that the financial forecast of a stationery store business plan is understood, let's focus on what goes into the written part of the plan.
The written part of a stationery store business plan
The written part of the business plan is where you will explain what your business does and how it operates, what your target market is, whom you compete against, and what strategy you will put in place to seize the commercial opportunity you've identified.
Having this context is key for the reader to form a view on whether or not they believe that your plan is achievable and the numbers in your forecast realistic.
The written part of a stationery store business plan is composed of 7 main sections:
- The executive summary
- The presentation of the company
- The products and services
- The market analysis
- The strategy
- The operations
- The financial plan
Let's go through the content of each section in more detail!
1. The executive summary
The executive summary, the first section of your stationery store's business plan, serves as an inviting snapshot of your entire plan, leaving readers eager to know more about your business.
To compose an effective executive summary, start with a concise introduction of your business, covering its name, concept, location, history, and unique aspects. Share insights about the services or products you intend to offer and your target customer base.
Subsequently, provide an overview of your stationery store's addressable market, highlighting current trends and potential growth opportunities.
Then, present a summary of critical financial figures, such as projected revenues, profits, and cash flows.
You should then include a summary of your key financial figures such as projected revenues, profits, and cash flows.
Lastly, address any funding needs in the "ask" section of your executive summary.
2. The presentation of the company
The second section in your stationery store's business plan should focus on the structure and ownership, location, and management team of the company.
The structure and ownership part provides an overview of the legal structure of the business, who the owners are and how much each has invested and owns. If you are seeking financing it is important that the reader gets a clear picture of which legal entity is receiving the funds, and who controls the business.
The location part should give an overview of the premises from which the company is operating, and why that location is of particular interest (catchment area, accessibility, amenities nearby, etc.).
When describing the location of your stationery store, you could emphasize its proximity to a major road, its accessibility from public transportation, and its visibility from the street. You may also point out its position in a bustling commercial area, which could attract customers. You might also emphasize the potential to draw in customers from the surrounding neighbourhoods.
Finally, you should introduce the management team. Explain each member's role, background, and experience.
It is also important to emphasize any past successes that the members of the management team have achieved, and how long they've been working together, as this will help potential lenders or investors understand why they should trust in their leadership.
3. The products and services section
The products and services section of your business plan should include a detailed description of what your company offers, who are the target customers, and what distribution channels are part of your go-to-market.
For example, your stationery store might offer customers a wide selection of pens, pencils, markers, notebooks, folders, and other office and school supplies to help them stay organized and productive.
Additionally, your store could offer custom printing services like business cards, letterhead, and invitations, as well as speciality items like pre-stamped envelopes and postage stamps. Finally, your store could also provide copy and fax services to help customers quickly and conveniently get copies of documents.
4. The market analysis
When you present your market analysis in your stationery store business plan, it's crucial to include detailed information about customers' demographics and segmentation, target market, competition, barriers to entry, and any relevant regulations.
The main objective of this section is to help the reader understand the size and attractiveness of the market while demonstrating your solid understanding of the industry.
Begin with the demographics and segmentation subsection, providing an overview of the addressable market for your stationery store, the key trends in the marketplace, and introducing different customer segments along with their preferences in terms of purchasing habits and budgets.
Next, focus on your target market, zooming in on the specific customer segments your stationery store aims to serve and explaining how your products and services fulfil their distinct needs.
For example, your target market might include middle-aged adults. This group may have children in school or may have recently begun a new job, creating a need for stationery products such as notebooks, pens, and folders. Additionally, they may also be in the market for more expensive items like custom planners and desk organizers.
Then proceed to the competition subsection, where you introduce your main competitors and highlight what sets you apart from them.
Finally, conclude your market analysis with an overview of the key regulations applicable to your stationery store.
5. The strategy section
When crafting the strategy section of your business plan for your stationery store, it's important to cover several key aspects, including your competitive edge, pricing strategy, sales & marketing plan, milestones, and risks and mitigants.
In the competitive edge subsection, clearly explain what sets your company apart from competitors. This is particularly critical if you're a startup, as you'll be trying to establish your presence in the marketplace among entrenched players.
The pricing strategy subsection should demonstrate how you aim to maintain profitability while offering competitive prices to your customers.
For the sales & marketing plan, outline how you plan to reach and acquire new customers, as well as retain existing ones through loyalty programs or special offers.
In the milestones subsection, detail what your company has achieved thus far and outline your primary objectives for the coming years by including specific dates for expected progress. This ensures everyone involved has clear expectations.
Lastly, in the risks and mitigants subsection, list the main risks that could potentially impact the execution of your plan. Explain the measures you've taken to minimize these risks. This is vital for investors or lenders to feel confident in supporting your venture - try to proactively address any objection they might have.
Your stationery store faces a variety of risks. It could be exposed to the risk of theft or vandalism. Your store may also be exposed to changes in the market, such as shifts in consumer preferences or the emergence of new competitors. These risks could have a significant impact on your store's ability to remain viable and competitive.
6. The operations section
The operations of your stationery store must be presented in detail in your business plan.
The first thing you should cover in this section is your staffing team, the main roles, and the overall recruitment plan to support the growth expected in your business plan. You should also outline the qualifications and experience necessary to fulfil each role, and how you intend to recruit (using job boards, referrals, or headhunters).
You should then state the operating hours of your stationery store - so that the reader can check the adequacy of your staffing levels - and any plans for varying opening times during peak season. Additionally, the plan should include details on how you will handle customer queries outside of normal operating hours.
The next part of this section should focus on the key assets and IP required to operate your business. If you depend on any licenses or trademarks, physical structures (equipment or property) or lease agreements, these should all go in there.
You may have key assets such as a physical store and inventory of stationery products. Additionally, you might have intellectual property in the form of a brand name, logo, or slogan that could set your store apart from competitors.
Finally, you should include a list of suppliers that you plan to work with and a breakdown of their services and main commercial terms (price, payment terms, contract duration, etc.). Investors are always keen to know if there is a particular reason why you have chosen to work with a specific supplier (higher-quality products or past relationships for example).
7. The presentation of the financial plan
The financial plan section is where we will present the financial forecast we talked about earlier in this guide.
Now that you have a clear idea of what goes in your stationery store business plan, let's look at the solutions you can use to draft yours.
What tool should I use to write my stationery store's business plan?
There are two main ways of creating your stationery store business plan:
- Using specialized business planning software,
- Hiring a business plan writer.
Using an online business plan software for your stationery store's business plan
Using online business planning software is the most efficient and modern way to write a stationery store business plan.
There are several advantages to using specialized software:
- You can easily create your financial forecast by letting the software take care of the financial calculations for you without errors
- You are guided through the writing process by detailed instructions and examples for each part of the plan
- You can access a library of dozens of complete business plan samples and templates for inspiration
- You get a professional business plan, formatted and ready to be sent to your bank or investors
- You can easily track your actual financial performance against your financial forecast
- You can create scenarios to stress test your forecast's main assumptions
- You can easily update your forecast as time goes by to maintain visibility on future cash flows
- You have a friendly support team on standby to assist you when you are stuck
If you're interested in using this type of solution, you can try The Business Plan Shop for free by signing up here .
Hiring a business plan writer to write your stationery store's business plan
Outsourcing your stationery store business plan to a business plan writer can also be a viable option.
Business plan writers are skilled in creating error-free business plans and accurate financial forecasts. Moreover, hiring a consultant can save you valuable time, allowing you to focus on day-to-day business operations.
However, it's essential to be aware that hiring business plan writers will be expensive, as you're not only paying for their time but also the software they use and their profit margin.
Based on experience, you should budget at least £1.5k ($2.0k) excluding tax for a comprehensive business plan, and more if you require changes after initial discussions with lenders or investors.
Also, exercise caution when seeking investment. Investors prefer their funds to be directed towards business growth rather than spent on consulting fees. Therefore, the amount you spend on business plan writing services and other consulting services should be insignificant compared to the amount raised.
Keep in mind that one drawback is that you usually don't own the business plan itself; you only receive the output, while the actual document is saved in the consultant's business planning software. This can make it challenging to update the document without retaining the consultant's services.
For these reasons, carefully consider outsourcing your stationery store business plan to a business plan writer, weighing the advantages and disadvantages of seeking outside assistance.
Why not create your stationery store's business plan using Word or Excel?
I must advise against using Microsoft Excel and Word (or their Google, Apple, or open-source equivalents) to write your stationery store business plan. Let me explain why.
Firstly, creating an accurate and error-free financial forecast on Excel (or any spreadsheet) is highly technical and requires a strong grasp of accounting principles and financial modelling skills. It is, therefore, unlikely that anyone will fully trust your numbers unless you have both a degree in finance and accounting and significant financial modelling experience, like us at The Business Plan Shop.
Secondly, relying on spreadsheets is inefficient. While it may have been the only option in the past, technology has advanced significantly, and software can now perform these tasks much faster and with greater accuracy. With the rise of AI, software can even help us detect mistakes in forecasts and analyze the numbers for better decision-making.
And with the rise of AI, software is also becoming smarter at helping us detect mistakes in our forecasts and helping us analyse the numbers to make better decisions.
Moreover, software makes it easier to compare actuals versus forecasts and maintain up-to-date forecasts to keep visibility on future cash flows, as we discussed earlier in this guide. This task is cumbersome when using spreadsheets.
Now, let's talk about the written part of your stationery store business plan. While it may be less error-prone, using software can bring tremendous gains in productivity. Word processors, for example, lack instructions and examples for each part of your business plan. They also won't automatically update your numbers when changes occur in your forecast, and they don't handle formatting for you.
Overall, while Word or Excel may seem viable for some entrepreneurs to create a business plan, it's by far becoming an antiquated way of doing things.
- A business plan has 2 complementary parts: a financial forecast showcasing the expected growth, profits and cash flows of the business; and a written part which provides the context needed to judge if the forecast is realistic and relevant.
- Having an up-to-date business plan is the only way to keep visibility on your stationery store's future cash flows.
- Using business plan software is the modern way of writing and maintaining business plans.
We hope that this practical guide gave you insights on how to write the business plan for your stationery store. Do not hesitate to get in touch with our team if you still have questions.
Also on The Business Plan Shop
- In-depth business plan structure
- Key steps to write a business plan?
- Free business plan template
Know someone who owns or wants to start a stationery store? Share this article with them!
Create a convincing business plan
Assess the profitability of your business idea and create a persuasive business plan to pitch to investors
500,000+ entrepreneurs have already tried our solution - why not join them?
Not ready to try our on-line tool ? Learn more about our solution here
Need some inspiration for your business plan?
Subscribe to The Business Plan Shop and gain access to our business plan template library.
Need a professional business plan? Discover our solution
Write your business plan with ease!
It's easy to create a professional business plan with The Business Plan Shop
Want to find out more before you try? Learn more about our solution here
- Customer Reviews
- Net 30 Account
- Wise Services
- Steps & Timeline
- Work at a Glance
- Market Research at a Glance
- Business Plan Writing Services
- Bank Business Plan
- Investor Business Plan
- Franchise Business Plan
- Cannabis Business Plan
- Strategic Business Plan
- Corporate Business Plan
- Merge and Acquisition Business Plan (M&A)
- Private Placement Memorandums (PPM)
- Sample Business Plans
- Professional Feasibility Study
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Pitch Deck Presentation Services
- Business Plan Printing
- Market Research
- L-1 Business Plan
- E-2 Business Plan
- EB-5 Business Plan
- EB-5 Regional Centers
- Immigration Attorneys
- Nonprofit Business Plan
- Exit Business Planning
- Business Planning
- Business Formation
- Business License
- Business Website
- Business Branding
- Business Bank Account
- Digital Marketing
- Business Funding Resources
- Small Business Loans
- Venture Capital
- Net 30 Apply
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Business Credit Cards
- Talk to Us 1-800-496-1056
8 Simple Steps Guide for Starting a Stationery Business
How to start a stationery business:.
Identifying your target market involves researching and understanding your potential customers, such as students, office professionals, or individuals who appreciate unique and personalized stationery products.
No, a physical store is not necessary to start a stationery business. You can begin by selling online through an e-commerce website, utilizing social media platforms, or participating in local markets and craft fairs.
Suppliers can be found through online marketplaces, trade shows, industry directories, or by contacting manufacturers directly. Researching and comparing suppliers will help you find the best quality and cost-effective options.
The essential stationery products can include notebooks, notepads, pens, pencils, markers, planners, greeting cards, envelopes, and other related accessories. It’s important to offer a variety of designs and styles to cater to different customer preferences.
Marketing strategies can include creating a visually appealing website, utilizing social media marketing, collaborating with influencers or bloggers, participating in local events, offering discounts or promotions, and engaging with your target audience through email newsletters or content creation.
- Investor Business Plans
- M&A Business Plan
- Private Placement
- Feasibility Study
- Hire a Business Plan Writer
- Business Valuation Calculator
- Business Plan Examples
- Real Estate Business Plan
- Business Plan Template
- Business Plan Pricing Guide
- Business Plan Makeover
- SBA Loans, Bank Funding & Business Credit
- Finding & Qualifying for Business Grants
- Leadership for the New Manager
- Content Marketing for Beginners
- All About Crowdfunding
- A Comprehensive Guide to Venture Capitalists
- EB-5 Regional Centers, A Step-By-Step Guide
- Logo Designer
- Landing Page
- PPC Advertising
- Business Entity
- Business Licensing
- Virtual Assistant
- Business Phone
- Business Address
- E-1 Visa Business Plan
- EB1-A Visa Business Plan
- EB1-C Visa Business Plan
- EB2-NIW Business Plan
- H1B Visa Business Plan
- O1 Visa Business Plan
- Business Brokers
- Merger & Acquisition Advisors
Proud Sponsor of
- (613) 800-0227
- +44 (1549) 409190
- +61 (2) 72510077
Looking for something more advanced and urgent? Then opt-in for an advanced essay writer who’ll bring in more depth to your research and be able to fulfill the task within a limited period of time. In college, there are always assignments that are a bit more complicated and time-taking, even when it’s a common essay. Also, in search for an above-average essay writing quality, more means better, whereas content brought by a native English speaker is always a smarter choice. So, if your budget affords, go for one of the top 30 writers on our platform. The writing quality and finesse won’t disappoint you!
Premium essay writers
Essay writing help from a premium expert is something everyone has to try! It won’t be cheap but money isn’t the reason why students in the U.S. seek the services of premium writers. The main reason is that the writing quality premium writers produce is figuratively out of this world. An admission essay, for example, from a premium writer will definitely get you into any college despite the toughness of the competition. Coursework, for example, written by premium essay writers will help you secure a positive course grade and foster your GPA.
John N. Williams
- Most Popular
- Explore all categories
business plan "the stationery shop"
- Business plan "The stationery shop"
Post on 18-Jul-2015
stationery shop famous
Stationery shop business, basic stationery material, customized stationery, little customers, customers key, potential customers, scanning facility.
Embed Size (px) 344 x 292 429 x 357 514 x 422 599 x 487
BUSINESS PLAN OF “THE STATIONERY SHOP”
THE STATIONERY SHOP
FAMOUS FOR THEIR “PEN & PAPER”
Inside sarki gate, shop # 2/B near mohalla ghori khan Peshawar.
ASAD AHFAQ S/O ASHFAQ AHMED
[email protected] M
CELL #: +923338591145 , PHONE # +9291-2324138
E X E CUTIV E SUM M ARY
The stationery shop will be fully customized stationery outlet. It will provide some useful and needy stationary material like, copies, pages, register, stationery material , other than that we will provide color and ordinary printing facility to our customers in reasonable price, we will also provide scanning facility and most important photo copy
facility will be provided to our customers.
The stationery shop is a sole proprietorship running by a student of Im|sciences, he is studying Business administration so he has a background related to this field. The stationery shop will focus to provide a quality product to their customers and fulfill their needs on reasonable prices. Our prime focus will be the availability of product in time.
The stationery shop will be located in the main city area, inside sarki gate. The shop will be on main road side so it will attract the eyes of mostly people. The area is full of schools and nearby colleges. There are mostly primary and secondary schools near to our shop so our target will be to provide the children’s some basic stationery material like pencils, rubber, copies and we will give some free stickers, candies and some other little thing to our little customers just for attracting there mind to our shop. We will also keep the new and according to the syllabus books for the school and private colleges on
special student discount package.
Our basic strength will be that that there is no other book or stationery shop near to us. People from the area have to go far for the books and some basic things so this will be our mai n strength and we
use it well for attracting our new and potential customers.
The stationery shop will be an sole proprietorship business running by a single person named Asad Ashfaq, looking for mature capital and
serve their customers with a quality products.
The mission of the Stationery shop is to provide the best office and basic stationery to our customers. Stationery shop exists to attract and maintain customers. Our product and services will exceed the
expectations of our customers
KEY TO SUCCESS
Key to success for the stationery shop will be:
(1) Maintaining a reputable reputation in the community/area.
(2) Quality product.
(3) Competitive price
(4) Dealing with customers.
PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
The timings of the stationery shop will be 7’o clock mor ning to 8:00pm, and there will be lunch and prayer break. The shp will be closed on Friday. The stationery shop will offer many office and basic stationery material like paper, books, copies, writing material like pen, pencils, markers, colors. Other than that stationery shop will offer printing facility for students at affordable rates, scanning documents facility will be also given. There will be a good quality photo copy machine in the shop for photo copy. We will receive the books from the Lahore URDU BAZAR, we will hire supplier for this act. We will sell these books to students on special discount and some good packages. Our main focus will be the availability of the product
at the time needed.
DUTY/RESPONSIBILITY OF OWNER:
The stationery shop will be running by a single person named Asad Ashfaq, he will be the single owner of this shop. He will open the shop in the morning and then a salesman will come and handle the shop till the owner comes back to the shop. There will be three corners in the shop one will be the books corner , other will be the printing facility corner and the third one will be the cash and basic stationery material corner There will be two boys working with the owner for the maintenance of the shop. The owner will be sit on the counter side and he will also manage the stat for managing the cash accounts and selling the basic stationery materials. One of the boy will be in books corner dealings with all kinds of books and stuff, and the other guy will be handling the photo copy machine, scanning and printing
E N V IRON M E N TAL AN D IN DUSTRY AN AL Y SIS
The stationery shop will be located I main city area targeting the main city segment because there is a need in the area for this shop. Stationery shop will be given the best quality products for office, college, school and for home stationery use. The shop will be always remain nimble enough to respond to the needs of the community in
which it serve.
We have a found a niche market in the area, there is no good stationery shop in this area. People from the area found them very disturb when they should go far for very little and single things. There are some shops in the QISSA KHUWANI bazaar who are offering these products and services but the area we are targeting they are far from
the qissa khuwani bazaar. So this will be our competitive edge and we will use this as our strength and will serve the community with our
This is the sole proprietorship business, run by a single person so all the profit will go directly to the owner. There will be tow boys working with the owner and each of them will be given salary on
Since technology has no serious impact on our business because this business is really not concern with the technology. But since it is a factor with affect the business. So we will use the best available technology for our printing, scanning and photo copy machines. Other than that we will also use the best and latest technology for our
record keeping and for cash transactions.
MARKET ANALYSIS SUMMARY
We will be focused on meeting the local need for the stationery shop
with in the main city are.
MARKET SEGMENTATION GEOGRAPHIC MAIN CITY AREA i-e SARKI,
KOHATI, MAIN CIRCULER ROAD. DEMOGRAPHIC STUDENTS BELONGING FROM
DIFFERENT CLASSES. LIFESTYLE ANY TYPE OF PEOPLES
MARKET SEGMENTATION OF THE STATIONERY SHOP
SCHOOL & COLLEGE STUDENTS:
This section will be our main focus. The area where our shop is located is full of govt and private schools. There are many children’s studying in that schools so we have to target this segment. We will keep books according to the new syllabus and refers authors. There will be all guides of subjects for college students. On beginning we will give some free stickers and some material to the school students for attracting their minds on the shop. We will also keep those attractive and interesting things which catch the eyes of our new customers. There will be special discount on books photo copy and on guides for
We will also focus on this segment. There is large amount of students in the city area studying in the university level so we will give special discount to university level on some books and especially on printing facility. Because university students have mostly print out work so
we’ll give them discount for attracting them on our shop.
Beside school, college and university students. Targeting the office area is also our one main target. We will keep all those necessary office stationery material and we will give the best quality to the office. We will also offer buying in bulk so that more customers can come to us and put their trust on us. It will contain office papers of different qualities, office file covers of different styles and we will also take orders for the covers of their own logo on files, writing material like pen, pencil etc and many more basic and needy things.
TARGET MARKET SEGMENT STRATEGY
The target market of the stationery shop is students belonging from all the classes. Referral marketing direct mail campaigns, broachers, TV adds on private channels for the beginning one month will be shown. Other than that we will make our shop pamphlet and we will give to the nearest schools, college and we will give these pamphlet door to door houses inside the city these will be the primary types of
The literacy rate of Pakistan is increasing year by year as showing the
upward moving of rate in given graph:
So this is showing that the literacy rate is increasing so education system is increasing in Pakistan, and in KPK there is education and people send their children’s to school and colleges for goodness of
We are targeting the main city area because there is a seriously need of this shop. There is no stationery shop in the area people really suffer hard when they need simple pen and paper and they don’t get this and then they have to go far to another area for buying things. So we are targeting the area with our quality product and services so that we can serve the people for their goodness and enhance our
revenue by creating certain sales.
COMPETITION AND BUYING PATTERNS
Price, quality product, and reputation are such critical success factors in the stationery business industry. The stationery store will compete well in our market by offering competitive prices, high quality products and the availability of the product on time and by maintaining an excellent reputation with customers and the
community in which we serve.
MAQBOOL SATTIONERY MART QISSA KHUWANI BOOK SHOPS GHAFOOR STATIONERY ARSHAD STATIONERY JAN’S SONS
These are our main competitor but these shops are far from the area where we are targeting. These shops are located in kissa khuwani bazaar and our shop is in the main city area, but we will also consider
them as our main competitor and we will consider their mistakes and
we’ll make their mistakes as our strength.
ALL YOUR NEEDY STATIONERY THINGS UNDER ONE
PAMPHLET FOR ADVERTISING
The given pamphlet will be given on door to door basis in the city area for advertising our shop. The main purpose is that people should
know about the shop and they come to try our product and service.
We'll be developing our core positioning message: "THE STATIONERY SHOP" to differentiate our service from the competition. We will be using direct mail campaigns, and local TV channel advertising to
launch the initial campaign of our shop.
We will send direct mail campaigns to the housing developments in the near houses of the shop. We will also offer monthly free calendars and some notebooks for our customers just for the maintainance of ur
shop and products.
We will be active in the city area sponsoring events at the community
center for families, students and for related terms.
We will advertise our stationery shop on social media i-e on Facebook and tweeter. We will also run a campaign on Facebook and tweeter for
the awareness of the people.
The opening management team for the stationery shop will consist of one Owner who is the manager and the two other boys who will help them to run the shop with owner. One of the boy will be on books corner and the other boy will be on the printing, scanning, and photo copier side. The owner will run the cash operations and the main
As the stationery shop sales increases more investment will be made
over 3 years depends upon the sales.
Owner of the shop – Asad Ashfaq. He is the owner, he will responsible for all major activities, daily operations, and also managing all the
other two boys.
He is doing bachelors in business administration. Good in speaking and managing the customers.
He has a good education and business field background.
The two other boys will be kept for the shop. They will be given salary
on monthly basis. They should be:
Good in handling the customers. Good speaking quality. Minimum matric/fsc education. Obedient to the job. Should follow the shop timings.
ASSESMENT OF RISK:
There are few factors of risk in the shop which are given below:
a) Some people from our city don’t want change, they should prefer their old choice of the far kissa khuwani shops.
b) Sometime the product should not be available on the shop and customer should feel bad for this.
c) Our shop is located in the inside area of sarki, so people living outside the area should be aware, if it is not so it will affect the
shop sales and revenue.
RESPOND TO THE RISK
a. We will offer special discount on the books and stationery material for attracting our customers. Other than that we will be compete in price with our competitors.
b. We will try our level best for the availability of everything in the shop.
c. We will use special advertising approach for the awareness of people about the shop. We’ll use banners, pamphlet, and many
other advertising approaches for the stationery shop.
Retail Plan - Wedding Shop
Business plan presentation - simit shop, krishna stationery, mumbai, school stationery, the body shop marketing plan, business plan - coffe shop, business plan for clothing shop, bass pro shop media plan, internet coffee shop marketing plan, business plan on meat shop, left handed shop business plan, business-plan, internet-shop, shoes, smart shop marketing plan, business plan for rice shop, business plan cd shop, become a fabjob guide to stationery store owneropen your own stationery, paper, or card shop barbara lightner become afabjob guide to stationery store owner visit, butcher shop business plan, shop business plan, business plan internet coffee-shop, marketing plan barber shop, business plan cofi shop, sunshine stationery shop foundation project, shop storage plan, a chrystalace wedding stationery free printable … · buy good quality paper at your local stationery shop read the instruction carefully on each page add your information to the, print shop website business plan, postal stationery commission newsletter - fip postal stationery, business plan for computer shop, ha-1120 a & j travel agency, harford stationery shop, coffee shop business plan, in&outwich shop business plan, online print shop business plan, student stationery office stationery hobby … catalouge 2015.pdf · catalogue 2015 stationery office stationery hobby stationery. the paper used in this eco-buddy book is made from, florist shop business plan, books and stationery list nursery (2018 - 19) · the stationery & books tuck shop has been setup in the school premises for the convenience of parents. there is no compulsion to purchase, 14434798 sandwich shop business plan, (shop name) shop safety plan.