- Online Degree Explore Bachelor’s & Master’s degrees
- MasterTrack™ Earn credit towards a Master’s degree
- University Certificates Advance your career with graduate-level learning
- Top Courses
- Join for Free
English for Effective Business Speaking
This course is part of Business English for Non-Native Speakers Specialization
Instructors: Kin Tang +2 more
We asked all learners to give feedback on our instructors based on the quality of their teaching style.
Financial aid available
119,544 already enrolled
Details to know
Add to your LinkedIn profile
8 quizzes, 5 assessments
Available in English
Subtitles: Kazakh, German, Hindi, Russian, Swedish, Korean, Portuguese (Brazilian), Greek, English, Italian, French, Tamil, Chinese (Simplified), Spanish, Arabic, Vietnamese, Thai, Ukrainian, Japanese, Indonesian, Polish, Dutch, Turkish
See how employees at top companies are mastering in-demand skills
Build your subject-matter expertise
- Learn new concepts from industry experts
- Gain a foundational understanding of a subject or tool
- Develop job-relevant skills with hands-on projects
- Earn a shareable career certificate
Earn a career certificate
Add this credential to your LinkedIn profile, resume, or CV
Share it on social media and in your performance review
There are 6 modules in this course
This course aims to improve your Business English speaking skills by developing your use of vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, spoken communication skills within a Business context, and your ability to deliver professional business speeches for specific purposes. Skills learned in this course will be used in the cross-cultural communications course and help prepare you to deliver the professional business presentation in the Capstone project.
After completing this course, you will be able to: - delivery effective job interviews - give persuasive business pitches - delivery informative business presentations - speak persuasively in English - adapt content to purpose, context and audience - use appropriate style and tone of writing for business purposes
Welcome to Week 1! This week, we will cover Module 1 where we introduce you to the objectives and structure of this Specialization and course.
3 videos 4 readings
3 videos • Total 12 minutes
- Welcome to our course • 2 minutes • Preview module
- Introduction to our Specialization • 3 minutes
- Guest Speaker-Prof.Caroline Wang-Effective Business Speaking • 7 minutes
4 readings • Total 40 minutes
- Objectives and outcomes • 10 minutes
- Learning how to learn • 10 minutes
- Learning vocabulary • 10 minutes
- The HKUST English Grammar Guide (EGG) • 10 minutes
Introduction to business speaking
Welcome to Week 2! This week we will cover Module 2 where we introduce you to speaking skill you may need in the workplace. You will also be introduced to vocabulary and language skills common to business communications.
5 videos 5 readings 2 quizzes
5 videos • Total 27 minutes
- From interviews to presentations • 7 minutes • Preview module
- Verbal and Non Verbal Communication Part 1- Verbal • 5 minutes
- Verbal and Non Verbal Communication Part 2- Non Verbal • 5 minutes
- Challenging English grammar: redundant adjectives • 2 minutes
- Challenging English sound - /u/ "full" and /u:/ "fool" AND /I/ "sit" and /i:/ "seat" • 7 minutes
5 readings • Total 50 minutes
- Elements of introducing yourself • 10 minutes
- Vocabulary list • 10 minutes
- Adjective and adverb word order • 10 minutes
2 quizzes • Total 60 minutes
- Module 2 • 30 minutes
- Vocabulary practice • 30 minutes
Welcome to Week 3! This week we will cover Module 3 where we introduce you to interviewing skills you may need in the workplace. You will also be introduced to vocabulary and language skills common to business communications.
8 videos 10 readings 4 quizzes
8 videos • Total 28 minutes
- Job Interviews • 5 minutes • Preview module
- Speaking to Inform & Persuade • 5 minutes
- Context & Directness • 5 minutes
- Peer-review practice: Sample Self Introduction • 1 minute
- Sample - Describe your Strengths and Weaknesses • 1 minute
- Challenging English grammar: 'the', 'a' and 'an' • 2 minutes
- Challenging English Sounds -/ð/ "they" /d/ "day" • 4 minutes
- Challenging English Sounds-/æ/ "man" /e/ "men" • 2 minutes
10 readings • Total 100 minutes
- Introduce yourself in a Job Interview • 10 minutes
- Peer-review practice- Introduce yourself in a Job Interview • 10 minutes
- Peer Practice Review - Describe your Strengths and Weaknesses • 10 minutes
- Referring to something mentioned before • 10 minutes
- Before names of professions (articles & determiners) • 10 minutes
- Before singular countable nouns • 10 minutes
- Before uncountable nouns • 10 minutes
4 quizzes • Total 120 minutes
- Module 3 • 30 minutes
- Peer-review practice: Introduce yourself in a Job Interview • 30 minutes
- Peer Practice Review - Describe your Strengths and Weaknesses • 30 minutes
Welcome to Week 4! This week we will cover Module 4 where we introduce you to delivering business pitches and speaking persuasively. You will also be introduced to vocabulary and language skills common to business communications.
7 videos 10 readings 4 quizzes
7 videos • Total 43 minutes
- Elements of a persuasive presentation • 16 minutes • Preview module
- The elevator pitch • 7 minutes
- Rhythm, stress and pausing • 5 minutes
- Body language • 4 minutes
- Challenging English: giving opinions • 2 minutes
- Challenging English sounds -/ð/ "then" /z/ "zen" • 3 minutes
- Challenging English sounds - /θ/ "thin" /s/ "sin" • 4 minutes
- More on stress and pausing • 10 minutes
- Peer review practice: stress and pausing • 10 minutes
- What do we mean when we say 'rhetoric'? • 10 minutes
- Rhetorical devices in persuasive speeches • 10 minutes
- More on giving opinions • 10 minutes
- Discourse markers • 10 minutes
- Peer review practice • 10 minutes
- Module 4 • 30 minutes
- Peer review practice: stress and pausing • 30 minutes
- Vocabulary quiz • 30 minutes
- Peer review practice • 30 minutes
Welcome to Week 5! This week we will cover Module 5 where we introduce you to presentations skills you may need in the workplace and effective visualizations. You will also be introduced to vocabulary and language skills common to business communications.
7 videos 10 readings 2 quizzes
7 videos • Total 45 minutes
- The differences between written and spoken English • 8 minutes • Preview module
- Preparing and planning presentations • 9 minutes
- Designing effective visuals • 6 minutes
- Engaging the audience • 6 minutes
- Hedging your language • 6 minutes
- Challenging English grammar: prepositions • 2 minutes
- Challenging English sounds /ɒ/ "not" and /ʌ/ "nut" AND /p/ "pit" and /b/ "bit" • 6 minutes
- Arranging and organizing presentations • 10 minutes
- Presenting data in charts and graphs • 10 minutes
- Understanding the differences between seminars and conferences • 10 minutes
- Presenting online • 10 minutes
- Business Case: zAnta Boutique Hotel • 10 minutes
- More on prepositions • 10 minutes
- Common preposition errors • 10 minutes
- Module 5 • 30 minutes
Welcome to Week 2! This week we will cover Module 2 where we wrap up the course. You will be asked to complete the final exam and post-course survey.
HKUST is a world-class research-intensive university that focuses on science, technology, and business as well as humanities and social science. HKUST offers an international campus, and a holistic and interdisciplinary pedagogy to nurture well-rounded graduates with a global vision, a strong entrepreneurial spirit, and innovative thinking.
Recommended if you're interested in Learning English
Administración de oportunidades en Salesforce
Android App Capstone
Business English for Non-Native Speakers
Informes, paneles y éxito del cliente en Salesforce
Business English: Basics
Preparing for the Google Cloud Professional Cloud Architect Exam en Español
Fundamentos del emprendimiento en la empresa familiar
English for Running a Successful Business
Emprendimiento y métodos ágiles de desarrollo en videojuegos
Essential English for University Success
Why people choose coursera for their career.
Showing 3 of 645
Reviewed on Nov 22, 2020
Gives opportunity to review one's language skills in English. Thank you for all the ideas that have been put together, including the diverse assignments.
Reviewed on Aug 13, 2020
Good teachers can teach any difficult things easily....
The course helped me to develop good speaking skills with the best content presentation strategies...
Reviewed on Jun 15, 2020
Actually this course more helped me to improve my knowledge and skills. Thank you for every one specially for course coordinates who give feed back to my assignment and knowledge. Good luck
Open new doors with Coursera Plus
Unlimited access to 7,000+ world-class courses, hands-on projects, and job-ready certificate programs - all included in your subscription
Advance your career with an online degree
Earn a degree from world-class universities - 100% online
Join over 3,400 global companies that choose Coursera for Business
Upskill your employees to excel in the digital economy
Frequently asked questions
When will i have access to the lectures and assignments.
Access to lectures and assignments depends on your type of enrollment. If you take a course in audit mode, you will be able to see most course materials for free. To access graded assignments and to earn a Certificate, you will need to purchase the Certificate experience, during or after your audit. If you don't see the audit option:
The course may not offer an audit option. You can try a Free Trial instead, or apply for Financial Aid.
The course may offer 'Full Course, No Certificate' instead. This option lets you see all course materials, submit required assessments, and get a final grade. This also means that you will not be able to purchase a Certificate experience.
What will I get if I subscribe to this Specialization?
When you enroll in the course, you get access to all of the courses in the Specialization, and you earn a certificate when you complete the work. Your electronic Certificate will be added to your Accomplishments page - from there, you can print your Certificate or add it to your LinkedIn profile. If you only want to read and view the course content, you can audit the course for free.
What is the refund policy?
If you subscribed, you get a 7-day free trial during which you can cancel at no penalty. After that, we don’t give refunds, but you can cancel your subscription at any time. See our full refund policy Opens in a new tab .
Is financial aid available?
Yes. In select learning programs, you can apply for financial aid or a scholarship if you can’t afford the enrollment fee. If fin aid or scholarship is available for your learning program selection, you’ll find a link to apply on the description page.